Another Borla Stinger Review

GTtoSVT

Established Member
After thinking about this decision for months and months I finally decided to go with the Borla Stinger catback for my 03 Cobra. I ordered it from ninosport and the service was top notch, I would highly recommend them for any purchases. The price was great and i got the order in a few days!! :rockon:

My car was stock before the exhaust but i also added the k&n fipk2 while it was at the shop. The car sounds sooooo much better now. There were many many hot stangs there and the guys there loved the sound. The exhaust tips look perfect as well. All in all I am very happy with the borla quality and sound.

My buddy convinced me to dyno the car while I was there and it put down back to back runs of

411rwhp and 370 torque SAE on a dynojet

So in conclusion I would say the Borla is highly recommended and it makes power too. I hope this helps the next person with his or her decision on what exhaust to get. I know I checked this forum many many times before I actually decided.

thanks

Brian

2003 Black Cobra Coupe

GTtoSVT

Established Member
you will be very happy with them. I have been driving mustangs for 18 years and have had all kinds of exhaust systems. Most catback systems need a midpipe to wake them up but the Borla Stingers sound really mean even with the stock converters.

Good Luck Man

Brian

2003 Black Cobra Coupe :burnout:

GTtoSVT

Established Member
I will give ya an update on the drone if any soon. I usually dont drive the car during the week and I was so excited when I first got it put on that I didnt pay much attention at the time.

Can someone else here chime in???

Thanks

2003 Black Cobra Coupe :pepper:

Top_Fuel

Person of Interest
Established Member
tjacopi2 said:
How is the drone compared to stock...
If you're looking for a cat-back with reduced drone, absolutely forget the Stinger. It's one of the loudest exhaust systems available and it WILL drone. If you think the stock exhaust drones, you will think someone is beating you in the side of the head with a hammer when you drive with Stingers. :bash: :uh oh: :-D

There are better choices if you want a performance sound without the annoying drone that seems to be characteristic of most cat-back systems. Take a look at Borla (part #14858) and Steeda cat-backs. More info on them HERE

tjacopi2

Established Member
Top_Fuel said:
If you're looking for a cat-back with reduced drone, absolutely forget the Stinger. It's one of the loudest exhaust systems available and it WILL drone. If you think the stock exhaust drones, you will think someone is beating you in the side of the head with a hammer when you drive with Stingers. :bash: :uh oh: :-D

There are better choices if you want a performance sound without the annoying drone that seems to be characteristic of most cat-back systems. Take a look at Borla (part #14858) and Steeda cat-backs. More info on them HERE
Top_Fuel. Wow, what a review! Thanks for the pointer...it sounds exactly what I'm looking for.

Thanks again

GTtoSVT

Established Member
I think the Stingers are great if you are looking for a fairly loud exhaust while still retaining the factory converters. My snake is still under ford warranty and I did not want to swap out the mid-pipe. (bye-bye warranty)

I have heard from many people that magnaflow is just too quiet with stock cats and flowmasters the same.

I would still recommend Stingers if u are using stock mid-pipe, sounds mean as hell and ford might still actually fix any problems on my snake if they arise.

Brian

2003 Black Cobra Coupe :D

10thAnnvCobra

Member MACA
Established Member
Stingers...Midpipe...Warranty?

I've got Stingers on my '03 Cobra and they are great (yes, louder and more drone than stock). The SVT tech at my dealer loves the sound also. I have had a few warranty issues addressed and the presence of the Stingers was not a problem. The SVT tech has even offered to replace the midpipe for me. I'm getting either a Bassani catted X or a Magnaflow catted X... any opinions? The SVT tech has told me to do what I want to the car but just don't change the pulleys or the computer until my warranty expires. I have the following mods on the car and he is aware of all of them:

Borla Stinger catback
C&L 95MM MAF kit
Accufab Big Oval throttle body and plenum
Diablosport Predator
MGW shifter with the red handle

The SVT tech even helped clear a code and adjust the idle speed sensor which was a problem when I first installed the Accufab throttle body. With this tech's help any warranty claims have not been a problem. Maybe it depends on the dealership and the SVT tech. :coolman:

GTtoSVT

Established Member
10th,

You are one of the lucky ones. I hear horror stories of people getting their warranties voided for having non matching rear floor mats :rollseyes

lol

sjw985

Established Member
Re: Stingers and drone- definitely louder than stock. However, keep in mind that the stock exhaust is almost silent. The drone on the highway with the stingers, cruising with minimal load, is not bothersome to me at all. It is definitely nowhere near as loud as my '99 was with flows at highway speed. I can listen to the radio and talk on the cell phone with no problem whatsoever. Open the windows, drop into third and step on the throttle while driving under an overpass and you'll go half deaf. But that is not drone. :)

Users who are viewing this thread