Another coolant question... How much variance is normal in expansion tank.

SBVERT03

Established Member
Hey guys,

A few weeks ago when getting my car out from winter storage I noticed that the coolant level in my expansion tank was lower than it had been previously. I did a block test and it came up negative. I added some coolant, re-burped, and have driven the car a few hundred miles since with the level in the expansion tanks staying steady.

Yesterday I put on a new stainless steel crossover cap because my stock one seemed like it was getting close to stripping and I noticed it was missing the o-ring. The coolant level at the crossover was still completely full. I then drove the car about 20 miles to and from the store.

This morning I noticed that the coolant level in my expansion tank had dropped probably a half inch to an inch or so. I thought oh crap, I didn't burp it well enough and opened the crossover plug but it was still full (overflowing actually). The temperature this morning is pretty much the same as it has been when I have checked the level in the past.

Is this normal, or do I have a leak somewhere?

Sent from my iPhone using the svtperformance.com mobile app

StrayBullitt

Established Member
Since you did some work, you probably had some air work itself out of the system. I might just top it off one more time and keep an eye on it over the next couple days. If it drops again though, you probably do have a small leak.

SBVERT03

Established Member
Because the coolant level is completely full at the crossover cap, should I just add through the expansion tank? Will this introduce air in to the system?

I should also mention that I have been monitoring the temp of the car and it's been pretty consistent. About 176 when cruising and gets up to 190 in traffic before the fans bring it back down.

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

SBVERT03

Established Member
Well I just got a chance to double check and I think I over exaggerated a bit on the amount it was down by. It was probably more like a quarter to a half inch at most. I added coolant up to the fill line through the reservoir. Based on the little amount I had to add I'm really just hoping it's from fluid and air coming out when switching out that plug!

I also should have mentioned that I did notice some fluid seeping out of the crossover plug after going to the track last week, but it looked like a very small amount. Maybe more came out than I thought. That's part of what made me realize the little o-ring on the plug was missing.

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread