Another day, another leak

fitforspeed

Established Member
As you drive likely the coolant is flowing back and down or down and back appearing like it’s leaking at the rear. Gravity/inertia/and wind from the fans and air flowing through the radiator.

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

01yellercobra

Established Member
For when the heater core leaks inside the cab they put an outlet to leak out the coolant so it would not be pouring inside the car and its right next to the bellhousing. Its the same outlet that the AC condensation drips out off

Ok. I get where you're talking about, but that wouldn't leak down the bellhousing. Unless there are some really weird airflow things going on.

But then, I've learned not say "that can't happen" over the last few years. Now I say, "I've never seen that".

JaCobro

Luke 10:19
Established Member
Premium Member
Looks like it’s running down the crossover on the side with the fill plug. Check the fill plug oring? Did you open it up recently? That oring is pretty thin. Doesn’t take much to damage it. Especially if it’s old.

robvas

Established Member
Looks like it’s running down the crossover on the side with the fill plug. Check the fill plug oring? Did you open it up recently? That oring is pretty thin. Doesn’t take much to damage it. Especially if it’s old.
Just got back in from the garage. The current theory is the cap is leaking. The o ring is pretty flat, and like you said it looks like it's leaking coolant down the side.

A couple weeks ago I had it open because I replaced a coolant hose and had to burb and fill.

I put a little Teflon tape on the threads, yell at me if that was a bad idea.

What's the next step?

Buy a fancy pants plug from a place like MMR?

Buy a new o-ring for the existing plug? Can I get one at O'reillys?

JaCobro

Luke 10:19
Established Member
Premium Member
Just got back in from the garage. The current theory is the cap is leaking. The o ring is pretty flat, and like you said it looks like it's leaking coolant down the side.

A couple weeks ago I had it open because I replaced a coolant hose and had to burb and fill.

I put a little Teflon tape on the threads, yell at me if that was a bad idea.

What's the next step?

Buy a fancy pants plug from a place like MMR?

Buy a new o-ring for the existing plug? Can I get one at O'reillys?
Haha. Prob not a bad idea to put the Teflon. But obviously you still need the oring. Honestly I think you should be able to get a similar viton oring at any auto or hardware store. If you search online there is plenty of them available, singles or kits.

Someone here might know the exact size/part number oring.

LV_Ford_Fan

Established Member
Tip: If the cap can't be removed easily then try warming up the engine first. It does not take much. When warm try to just break it loose a bit and then you should be able to take it off when after it cools down.

As others have said the o-ring seals the cap and it just needs to be snug when putting it back.

robvas

Established Member
Did find the kit hopefully it will be here Saturday. Will probably be useful to have the other o rings on hand as well.

robvas

Established Member
Bought the mmr crossover plug and installed yesterday. Small puddle under the car again today. Hasn't leaked since.

It better have leaked when I was installing the plug and I just didn't notice.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread