Another hurt engine thread

schecter

Established Member
I've seen quite a few threads pop up lately with some hurt engines, so I figured I would post mine up as well.

To give a little background on my situation, the car was only driven two days in the middle of February after a fuel system upgrade before putting it in storage and heading back overseas. See modification list in signature. Never was able to really lay the coals to it as both of those days it was pouring rain, welcome to FL, haha. On day two I was heading to dinner with my girlfriend and she was the one who asked, "Where's all that smoke coming from"? I looked in the side mirror and saw right away that the underpass I was stopped at was chock full of it smoke. Luckily I was only a block away from the restaurant and was able to check it out. Kept the engine running for a minute and it was ticking something fierce and smoking like a banshee. After dinner I took it back to my storage unit where it sat for a month until my buddy was able to come do a compression check. Found cylinders 6 and 8 only had 50 psi. At that point I knew an engine rebuild was was coming. I can honestly say I wasn't upset, actually happy as now I had an excuse to build the bottom end.

I called up a couple of the local shops and decided to go with Power By The Hour. They informed me that they would use MPR to do the machining and engine build portion. If I'm not mistaken I believe Blow By Racing uses MPR as well.

Fast forward to yesterday and I get a call from Power By The Hour and they have some info on the car. This is what they found for cylinder 8's piston;

piston_zps408f0b56.jpg

Cylinders 6 and 7 didn't fair much better than 8. As it looks now not much if any damage to the block.

So after talking with Frank from PBTH it looks like I am going with a fully built bottom, oil pump gears, cooling mod and a set of Manley valve springs as I plan on doing a Boss intake manifold and revving higher. Also going to go ahead and do a McLeod clutch and flywheel while everything is out. Maybe new engine and trans mounts as well. Thinking really heavily on doing cams as well, but i'm just not sold on the power to cost at this point. Finish with a tuning session from Ken Bjonnes of Lund Racing. We are going to try and take the car to around 750-800 hp range.

I will keep updating as I get more info and pics on the build. Please don't let this get into a who tuned it, blame BBR fiasco. I know and accept the fact that with a car making twice the power it did in stock form something may break, scratch that will break. I have nothing but love for the guys at BBR as they have always taken care of me and I wouldn't hesitate to go with BBR in the future. Chris and Steve are awesome to deal with. It just made more sense to use Power By The Hour on this portion of my build. So far Jake and Frank from PBTH have been extremely kick ass and helpful. Needless to say I'm pretty stoked about the future of my car.

Graboid

Established Member
We need a poll up to compare how many are good and how many are toasted.
Sorry for the money bleed but good to see your happy about building a strong motor.

schecter

Established Member
I have a feeling with a lot of people on here being boosted we may see quite a few this year. I hate it to happen to anyone, but sometimes good things happen from crappy circumstances.

Sean@LethalPerformance

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
Our cars just so happens to be parked right next to eachother at power by the hour. Tim's warpping things up, just waiting on the oil pump gears to arrive. I had the same sticker on the side of my car at one point just not neon green.

Beautiful car btw!

blackbeast12

Dr. Frankenstang
Established Member
Better to have a solid bottom end that you can throw just about anything at it, and have it take the punishment! Good luck!

Notfast2012

Established Member
Sorry to hear about your engine op. Thats why I have money set aside for when the engine goes. I think we will see a lot of 700-800 rwhp cars though. What bottom end setup are you going to run? Compression staying stock or going lower?

stang8psi

Established Member
Same situation with mine op. Except I was a mile away from my house and my piston skirt had a hole in it on the #8. Hopefully you can machine your block .005/.010 and still be able to use it.

2012csgt

Established Member
Sucks to hear... It's doesn't matter the power adder. Paxton, vortech, turbo, Procharger.. They all blow up. But I have never heard or seen a nitrous car go kaboom. Anyone? Pretty soon though the whole forum here will have built motors.

manolith

I Wanna go fast.
Established Member
Nitrous is not on all the time like blowers and turbos. I never had an issue with nitrous on any of my cars and I never used a window switch. Nitrous is super safe and efficient imo.

shadowstang03gt

Established Member
Sucks to hear... It's doesn't matter the power adder. Paxton, vortech, turbo, Procharger.. They all blow up. But I have never heard or seen a nitrous car go kaboom. Anyone? Pretty soon though the whole forum here will have built motors.

Pretty bold statement.... i think you wrong. But whatever.

schecter

Established Member
Our cars just so happens to be parked right next to eachother at power by the hour. Tim's warpping things up, just waiting on the oil pump gears to arrive. I had the same sticker on the side of my car at one point just not neon green.

Beautiful car btw!

I thought that may have been yours, but wasn't sure. I saw it on PBTH Facebook page. Yours looks mighty fine as well bud:beer:

Sorry to hear about your engine op. Thats why I have money set aside for when the engine goes. I think we will see a lot of 700-800 rwhp cars though. What bottom end setup are you going to run? Compression staying stock or going lower?

Its a must in my eyes to have an emergency fund for events like that, especially if you don't want to be down for a while. I did the same thing and have money set aside for a T-56 Magnum XL if the transmission decides it's had enough as well. Hopefully it won't decide to let go before tax season next year, but if it does i'm ready. I am going to go with Manley h-beam rods and pistons, arp hardware, and new bearings of course. I will talk with the shop more next week, but most likely go to 10:1 compression

4VFTW

Established Member

Shawn you may be on to something...the cooling effect of the nitrous may be sufficient to protect the ring lands.

03DSGMach1

10's or Bust!
Established Member
So your the owner of that unlucky piston, saw it on MPR's FB page. didnt realize those two coyotes were on here. Sorry to hear about the unexpected build but at least your in great hands between MPR, PBTH and Lund Racing.

manolith

I Wanna go fast.
Established Member
Shawn you may be on to something...the cooling effect of the nitrous may be sufficient to protect the ring lands.

what? the cooling effect of nitrous is only in effect when the gas is changing presure from 900psi to atmospheric presure but as soon as its ignited in the combustion chamber the temperatures will rise and in most cases the combustion temperature on a nitrous set up is greated than with just boost.

4VFTW

Established Member
what? the cooling effect of nitrous is only in effect when the gas is changing presure from 900psi to atmospheric presure but as soon as its ignited in the combustion chamber the temperatures will rise and in most cases the combustion temperature on a nitrous set up is greated than with just boost.
if you dont think the nitrous/fuel mixture entering your cylinder is extremely cold I can arrange a demonstration for you.

manolith

I Wanna go fast.
Established Member
if you dont think the nitrous/fuel mixture entering your cylinder is extremely cold I can arrange a demonstration for you.

We all know it is and we don't need a drmostration. But what I'm talking about is the combustion itself. If you think that nitrous cools pistons you are wrong.

Snohomish5.0

Established Member
I hate reading these threads scares me, but at least it's not as bad as my brothers sti with ringland seems like it spends its life at the shop.

4VFTW

Established Member
We all know it is and we don't need a drmostration. But what I'm talking about is the combustion itself. If you think that nitrous cools pistons you are wrong.
and if you think the earth is flat you're wrong...ohh wait you never said that either.

Users who are viewing this thread