Another Intercooler TSB question

LightningFast00

673/753 pump gas
Established Member
Will my 10 row TSB intercooler bolt straight into the upper and lower of the 99-00's that were leaking and fix their 9 row leak? Will they need anything else?

RIDE THE

Shake & Bake
Established Member
No, it will not directly bolt up to a 99-2000 midplate. There's a few parts that are needed. I think everything was around $1000 to $1200 from Steve here on SVTP. Thats 10% over cost.

LightningFast00

673/753 pump gas
Established Member
I know there are other parts included in the tsb, but i thought it would be a complete fix of the problem and would bolt it but would just not upgrade the upper which really isn't needed to fix the leak... Is this bad info?

RIDE THE

Shake & Bake
Established Member
IIRC the replacement intercooler will only bolt up to the updated midplate and maybe the 01 and up midplate. If someone wants to repair their 99 or 2000 they would need the correct midplate from the recall since the bolt layout is different for the S/C from 2000 to the 2001 and up. Again, IIRC.

They cannot just bolt it up to their original 99-2000 midplate. Again, it's been awhile since I did the recall and Ford has purged it in the recall database so I do not remember all of the included parts. I'm sure if you contacted Steve he could tell you whats included in the kit from Ford if it's still even available.

It was an actual recall. Actually, it fell under the program which is still a recall and if you owned a 99/00 when the recall was active Ford sent out notices to the address that was on file when the truck was bought. If it was a TSB Ford would still have it listed as a valid repair under Oasis for the concern.

RIDE THE

Shake & Bake
Established Member
Took a little bit of digging but here is the Recall if you are interested.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
OWNER NOTIFICATION PROGRAM
01B81 Certain 1999 and 2000 Model Year F150 Lightning Vehicles - Intercooler Replacement

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

September 2001

TO: All Ford and Lincoln Mercury Dealers

SUBJECT: Owner Notification Program 01B81 - Certain 1999 and 2000 Model Year F150 Lightning Vehicles - Intercooler Replacement

RE: Dealer Announcement dated May 10, 1999, Low Volume Announcement Letter
Dealer Announcement dated 12/17/98, Special Handling Procedure

OASIS:
Yes

OWNER LIST:
Yes

PARTS RETURN:
No

PROGRAM TERMS:
This program will be in effect until September 30, 2002, regardless of mileage.

AFFECTED VEHICLES

Certain 1999 and 2000 model year F150 Lightning vehicles built at the Ontario Truck Assembly Plant from the beginning of production for the 1999 model year through the end of production for the 2000 model year.

REASON FOR PROGRAM

In some of the affected vehicles, the supercharger intercooler may fracture and create an internal coolant leak. If this occurs the vehicle may experience loss of engine performance at full throttle.

SERVICE ACTION

Dealers must replace the supercharger's intercooler sub-assembly and top-off the intercooler coolant system on all affected vehicles.

LOW VOLUME PROGRAM

This recall is being processed as a Low Volume Program. This type of field action was announced in an All-Dealer letter dated May 10, 1999.

Owners will be contacting the Low Volume Program Coordination Center to arrange for this service. We will advise you via CuDL (Customer Data Link) of the owners that choose your dealership to perform the service provided by this Low Volume program. The parts will be ordered for you by the Program Coordination Center.

SPECIAL HANDLING PROCEDURE

The Special Handling Procedure has been activated for all Lightning owners affected by this program. Please see dealer announcement dated 12/17/98, Special Handling Procedure. The special handling procedure provides additional allowance to enable dealers to offer Lightning owners convenient vehicle handling.

"For this program, the supercharger intercooler is serviced with the upper intake manifold as an assembly."

Here is the part number for the kit: XL3Z-9424-AB

Last edited:

LightningFast00

673/753 pump gas
Established Member
I know this part, but I was told the upper was just to update it to a 2001 upper but its no necessary... More for uniforminity... Am I misinformed?

RIDE THE

Shake & Bake
Established Member
I thought that the 2001 and up S/C has a different bolt pattern for the S/C to midplate setup . If thats the case, if the updated intercooler was bolted on the 2001 and up midplate. The midplate holes would not line up with the original 99-2000 S/C bolt holes.

I might be wrong on this but I'm pretty sure thats what I remember. Someone not to long ago had an issue with buying an intercooler and a later year midplate and they ended up having to buy a newer S/C and lower intake to make it work. Again, it's been awhile.

Anybody else have any info on the early over late S/C bolt hole spacing? I don't want to give out incorrect info and mislead someone.

LightningFast00

673/753 pump gas
Established Member
I thought that the 2001 and up S/C has a different bolt pattern for the S/C to midplate setup . If thats the case, if the updated intercooler was bolted on the 2001 and up midplate. The midplate holes would not line up with the original 99-2000 S/C bolt holes.

I might be wrong on this but I'm pretty sure thats what I remember. Someone not to long ago had an issue with buying an intercooler and a later year midplate and they ended up having to buy a newer S/C and lower intake to make it work. Again, it's been awhile.

Anybody else have any info on the early over late S/C bolt hole spacing? I don't want to give out incorrect info and mislead someone.

Well that can't be correct cause I have the TSB done and I have the original bolt pattern of the 99-00 still when I had my KB... I don't believe the IC used the SC bolts... either way this one fit under a KB designed for a 99-00... I just want to make sure before I put it up for sale...

Ride the, I do appreciate the info, sometimes we forget things and everyones input is very important...

Users who are viewing this thread