Another lesson learned... SVE Aluminum Radiator from LRS

bobby_0081

Established Member
I bought an aluminum radiator from LRS. I installed it in my car and it was a tight fit. The isolators on top were tight and the radiator was pressed up against the core support and AC condenser. I didn't give this much thought at the time. Fast forward 4 months and I had a radiator leak. I flushed the system, installed new coolant, and a new thermostat and even new radiator hoses because they had some miles on them. The heater core is only a little over a year old so I just flushed it. The reason why I list all of this is because it was suggested to me that I had electrolysis. I for one thought there is no way. I also had replaced the degas bottle or overflow tank with a factory ford one too. Then I got on Google and tried to find a better radiator and I found a Mishimoto that has its own isolators and mounts in a set of brackets and then I noticed the bottom of the Mishimoto was cut and in the manual that accompanied it the reason for the cut and the isolators was to keep it from twisting and leaking from the core support flexing when driving and that's when it hit me. I have the MM front Lowers and urethane bushings, their K member, CC plates and coil overs and the roads here are pretty bad and since my car is now so stiff and the radiator fitment was too tight that it lead to it cracking where the core met the tank.

Has anyone else ever heard of someone breaking a radiator core in a mustang with suspension upgrades?

DMassey

No Habla Jibber Jabber
Established Member
I think you just got a bad one that was destined to leak regardless. It happens sometimes with all parts. Have you called LRS to tell them about it? A ton of aftermarket radiators use the factory isolators.

WhiteFaleen2001

Established Member
I bought an SVE radiator from Latemodelrestoration and after a couple of months, mine started to leak as well. I contacted them and they sent me a replacement right away. I do use the aluminum upper radiator brackets though by Mishimoto. I would use caution if you decide to get an Mishimoto Radiator though. My brother when through 2 or 3 of them on his Bullitt before giving up on them, as they kept leaking, and went with an SVE one.

bobby_0081

Established Member
I bought an SVE radiator from Latemodelrestoration and after a couple of months, mine started to leak as well. I contacted them and they sent me a replacement right away. I do use the aluminum upper radiator brackets though by Mishimoto. I would use caution if you decide to get an Mishimoto Radiator though. My brother when through 2 or 3 of them on his Bullitt before giving up on them, as they kept leaking, and went with an SVE one.

I bought the Mishimoto already. Does the SVE one fit really tight in your car? Mine was very tight and then with the suspension on my car being so damn stiff I am certain that had a little to do with it. I have developed so many rattles because my car is high mileage and then I stiffened the car up a ton so now I have rattle that drive me crazy at first but then I get used to them.

Users who are viewing this thread