Another newb looking to buy a lightning

BGBLDODGE

Established Member
I'm in need of another truck to drive since my old dodge is starting to become reliable (01 with 201k miles) so I'm leaning towards a lightning. I've been doing a lot of research on here lately to see how reliable they are, how the mileage was, any common problems they have, etc. So far here's what I've found:

99-02's have 3-4 threads per head and are prone to blowing spark plugs out. You can either have them helicoiled (can't remember the name of the kit I saw right now) or buy new heads to solve the problem completely. Basic maintenance and checking them and proper torquing seems to help keep them in the head.

Average mpg in town seems to be 11-13 and highway seems to be 15-17. Sound about right?

The clunk in the front end is from a slotted hole on the lower a-arm of the driver's side that is fixed with a clunk washer and a little time.

Intercooler needs to be cleaned as soon as I purchase the truck and a catch can installed to prevent future oil from coating it up.

Is that it? These trucks seem to have almost 0 issues that aren't self induced which is good cause it's going to see about 700 miles a week for the next few months. I finally drove my first one last week and it got me hooked. That blower whine was intoxicating.

If yall have anything else to add please let me know. I'm going to keep searching and try to answer as many of my own questions as I can first but I just wanted to be sure I've got all of the bases covered first before I started digging deeper.

One thing I have noticed is that there aren't a lot of lightnings for sale down here in Texas that I have been able to find. Do yall know of a better place to go search for one? I've hit up craigslist and google and lightning forums but am having trouble finding ones in the state.

Thanks for your help.

Mr. Mach-ete

Liberals Suck
Established Member
I found a bone stock '00 L for sale at a local dealership for $15600, a little pricey IMO. It's in mint condition with a little over 51k miles. I think I'll make them an offer of $13000, see what they say.

Mr. Mach-ete

Liberals Suck
Established Member
I'm scheduled to take it for a test drive Friday afternoon. They are letting me take it for the entire afternoon. We shall see. Actually, I'm excited, I Can't wait to see how she compares to my Sold SC Mach. Something tells me I'm going to buy this thing.

INFAMOU$

The Infamous Project
Established Member
124k highway miles
black interior with expy mod and suede headliner
3 gauge a-pillar with LUNAR boost, oil and a/f.
JBL full system with 12" sub
upgraded headlights and fogs with HID's, 01+ style tails
billet grills
JDM stage 1. 3lb lower, 01+ maf, CAI, 2 stage chip, valve body, 4x4 pan, oil sep.
Mac catback
Intercooler recently cleaned and rotors stripped of the teflon
DJM drop with all urethane bushings. Tubular lowering control arms and springs with no iso's 5" drop and rear = full flip kit, c-notch and 2" shackles = 7"
Rims are 23" Oz Vela with Nitto 555 295/30/23
Paint is great
Might have high miles but all highway and always serviced.

$13k with wheels. $10k with stock wheels. (you may find that high.. but all the hard work is done and you'll end up putting a built motor in anyways)

Last edited:

INFAMOU$

The Infamous Project
Established Member
I have never had a plug blow out on me and I have had it for 30k. I know the previous owner did have one come out and he time-serted it properly with the kit. The kit has extra serts which i have and will go with the truck should another one ever let loose (previous owner gave it to me). Honestly tho, as long as you change your plugs with the engine cold and torque properly you should never have an issue.

Mr. Mach-ete

Liberals Suck
Established Member
I filled out the on-line credit application, the dealer calls me the next day and says my credit was great, I'm good to go.

Looks like I'm gonna be the proud papa of a mint condition, red, bone stock, 11 year old lightning. My vanity plates will be Y2KSVTL, what do you think?

BGBLDODGE

Established Member
That's awesome. Congrats. I'm saving like crazy for one and hoping my truck breaks down soon so i can justify getting one haha

JoeRacer

Established Member
I think it can basically be summed up like this, the F150 is one of the most reliable trucks you can buy (my friend's 99 has 226k miles on the original transmission/engine and drives nice and smooth). You will get basically the same reliability out of a stock Lightning as you would a stock F150. If you want a Lightning get one, and I'm sure you will enjoy it and not regret it. That being said, there are a few problems to the F150 line, and there are some specific Lightning issues.

Other than the 'big' things you covered here are a few of the smaller more common 'issues' that are common to all F150's. They seem to have crappy ball-joints that don't last that long from the factory (60k miles is not uncommon ... aftermarket Moog balljoints should last longer). Like a lot of automatic 90's Ford products the cable adjuster for the gear shift indicator cable cracks and flexes (or just breaks completely) and shows the wrong gear (you are in Drive and it says Neutral), it's an easy fix (I used some epoxy to glue mine back together, but others just zip tie it). The spring on the cupholder door breaks off and you have to screw it back down. The door handles' fake brushed aluminum plastic coating peels off (chrome replacements from ebay are cheap and easy to install).

These are a few of the Lightning specific issues that you didn't cover. The fuel filter on the Lightning is a piece of crap and too small, there is a larger Ford unit that a lot of people swap to (I 'think' it is from a Navigator, but could be wrong. I have been using the L filter but plan on doing this swap with my next oil change). The intercooler pumps have been known to crap out on people too.

I'm sure there are a few more but this is what I could think of off the top of my head.

Get a Lightning and you will love it, just take care of it and don't neglect it (it does have a supercharger on it!). :rockon:

Mr. Mach-ete

Liberals Suck
Established Member
I don't want to put a jinx on the deal but it looks like I'm bringing it home Friday afternoon, I can hardly wait! Not a scratch on her, garage kept. The previous owner averaged 5k mile a year. I'll post pics.

BGBLDODGE

Established Member
I think it can basically be summed up like this, the F150 is one of the most reliable trucks you can buy (my friend's 99 has 226k miles on the original transmission/engine and drives nice and smooth). You will get basically the same reliability out of a stock Lightning as you would a stock F150. If you want a Lightning get one, and I'm sure you will enjoy it and not regret it. That being said, there are a few problems to the F150 line, and there are some specific Lightning issues.

Other than the 'big' things you covered here are a few of the smaller more common 'issues' that are common to all F150's. They seem to have crappy ball-joints that don't last that long from the factory (60k miles is not uncommon ... aftermarket Moog balljoints should last longer). Like a lot of automatic 90's Ford products the cable adjuster for the gear shift indicator cable cracks and flexes (or just breaks completely) and shows the wrong gear (you are in Drive and it says Neutral), it's an easy fix (I used some epoxy to glue mine back together, but others just zip tie it). The spring on the cupholder door breaks off and you have to screw it back down. The door handles' fake brushed aluminum plastic coating peels off (chrome replacements from ebay are cheap and easy to install).

These are a few of the Lightning specific issues that you didn't cover. The fuel filter on the Lightning is a piece of crap and too small, there is a larger Ford unit that a lot of people swap to (I 'think' it is from a Navigator, but could be wrong. I have been using the L filter but plan on doing this swap with my next oil change). The intercooler pumps have been known to crap out on people too.

I'm sure there are a few more but this is what I could think of off the top of my head.

Get a Lightning and you will love it, just take care of it and don't neglect it (it does have a supercharger on it!). :rockon:

Cool. Those are the other issues I didn't know about. Nothing major though and just like every other truck they have little quirks. Ball joints I'm accustomed to, I own a Dodge haha. Thanks for the help guys.

INFAMOU$

The Infamous Project
Established Member
FYI my fuel filter is upgraded to the Expedition one and all my ball joints have less than 20k on em since my Drop.. :) Save save save

BGBLDODGE

Established Member
Very awesome. Only thing I worry about with yours is I work construction and occasionally the roads I travel aren't friendly to real low vehicles. I can take my car on them but your truck is lower than that so I'm a bit concerned.

INFAMOU$

The Infamous Project
Established Member
Raise it up some.. put the iso's back in with stock shackles and you'll have nothing to worry about. :)

Users who are viewing this thread