another noisy trans question?

aaron427

Established Member
I have a 94 cobra with a 03-cobra 6-speed. I went outside tonight to start the car(about 25 degrees) and i had it idling in neutral, and it was making this clanking sound. I push the clutch in still does it. So i thought it might be because it is cold out. Took it down the road to get it warm, and to go through the gears. Noise is still there. Pop the hood, and can't hear anything from the engine bay because of the damn blower whine. It sounds almost like marbles bouncing around in my convertors. I am not positive it is coming from the trans yet, but pretty sure. I can even hear the sound when I accelerate. Can anyone shed any light on the subject? I know it is hard to figure out noises over the internet, but I am hoping someone has had the same problem. Thanks for any help you can provide.

vipergts281

Established Member
If you hear a "marbles" sound it may be your engine. Have you checked your air/fuel ratio lately? Detonation sounds like marbles rolling around in a tin can.

aaron427

Established Member
But I have the sound even at idle, and it is pretty loud so I know it isn't detonation. I can hear it outside the car. Sounds like metal on metal. I know the A/F is ok, and I am pretty sure it is trans or exhaust. Also has billet flywheel if that makes a difference or not. Thanks

cpu77

Armed and Dangerous!
Established Member
I had this it was the inspection cover on the tranny. It has a foam tape that gets messed up if you take it off and put it back on.

JoeNashville

Ghostrider
Established Member
Aaron427 did some checking and it turned out to be a cat with loose innards. He's fixed the problem. Good call on the inspection plate though.

Users who are viewing this thread