Another Oil question

KHsonic03

Established Member
I did a search, and found many results. So many that I can't find what I am looking for. Sorry if this is a repeat question. I have seen alot about Mobil 1 filters, but I have been using K&N for the past 3 years, and was wondering which is better. I am also doing my first oil change (1000 miles), and want to know which oil to use. FMS or other non-syn brand? Thanks.

KenCobra03

Factory Rated 390 HP, much more now
Established Member
I also use the Ford 820S oil filter.
One on at 0,500,and 1,000 miles so far.

Cobra'03

Established Member
Mobil 1 are far better - they use a glass/synthetic fiber media which is much stronger and filters better than the K&N.

OCCOBRA

Picture Whirled Peas
Established Member
820-s motorcraft
Ford 5w-20 will change to Mobil1 when the motor breaks in.

KiLLaBytE

Established Member
I use the Ford Motorcraft 820S oil filter along with Mobil 1 syntec 5W30 oil. First change was at 1500 mi. Next will be at 5K, then i'm going every 5K miles after that.

-Brian

KHsonic03

Established Member
Where can I get Mobil 1 oil filters???!!!! I checked two walmarts, pep boys, advanced auto. Where can I get one?!! thanks

missile man

Established Member
Another good choice is the Purolator Pure1 filter. It is readily available and doesn't have the cardboard guts. I use Royal Purple fully synthetic in everything including my Cobra. Have had no problems and have 80,000 miles on our Dodge Caravan and 170,000 miles on my Acura. Good Luck.

MalcolmV8

Established Member
Originally posted by missile man
Another good choice is the Purolator Pure1 filter.

From what I've read on the net (different oil filter studies) the Motorcraft filters are basically just rebadged Purolators.

What are the affects of switching to 5w30 instead of the recommeded 5w20? I'm wanting to switch to Mobil 1 full syn but I only see it in 5w30. That means oil will be slightly thicker at working temp. Does that mean it won't get into all the clearances it needs to? Or just that it will be thicker and protect better at the expense of gas milage? Or will it hurt HP from been thicker? Anyone have real answers other than "I think this" or "I think that" or "in my opinion" ? Just wondering.

Thanks guys
Malcolm

4Fs

Established Member
It is important to get some miles on the piston rings before puting in synthetic motor oil. Synthetics lubricate so well that the rings won't seat in the cylinders. 1000 miles is the number I have heard for years. The guys I talked to at my dealer and at SVT were adamant that I wait 3000 miles with the Cobra. Check the FAQ for a good discussion on oil. It is the fifth thread from the top.

MalcolmV8

Established Member
Originally posted by 4Fs
It is important to get some miles on the piston rings before puting in synthetic motor oil. Synthetics lubricate so well that the rings won't seat in the cylinders. 1000 miles is the number I have heard for years.

I'm certainly no oil expert but then why do certain cars (I believe the Viper and Vette are two such cars) come from the factory brand new with full syn?

KHsonic03

Established Member
Where can I get Mobil 1 filters?? Please. I need to change my oil this weekend. Also, I know you should not use synthetic for at least 5000. I bought the recommended ford motorcraft 5w 20 for my first change. It says "synthetic blend." I know this is not fully synthetic, but why is it a synthetic blend as opposed to a regular oil?

SID297

OWNER/ADMIN
Administrator
You can get the Mobil 1 filter at autozone. They are about $11. It is nothing more than an urban legend that syn can't be used until the engine is broken in. Mercades AMG, Lancer Evolution, Viper, Vette, Aston Martin, and Cadillac XLR all come with a pan full of Mobil 1 from the factory. When I buy my Cobra I will fill it full of Mobil 1 5w30 the minute I get it home. MalcolmV8, the only reason Ford switched to 5w20 was for overall fleet milage. Running 5w30 is perfectly safe. I'm not a big fan of the newer "water weight" oils. For those of you interested, Mobil 1 has a 0w20 coming out soon, but for me thats like having sex in a canno; your ****ing close to water.

03 Red Cobra

Established Member
Originally posted by sid297
For those of you interested, Mobil 1 has a 0w20 coming out soon.

I've seen the Mobil 1 in 0W-20 at a local auto parts store. Says on it that its approved by Ford and Honda.

davidmax

Established Member
If you can get the Amsoil 5-30 with filter excellent choice!!.Many people know O.H.C. motors require thinner weight 5-20 VS 5-30 but its not so with a quality synthetic,it will actually lube better than the Motorcraft 5-20.It will also leave a protective film on the valve train which is indestructable.Good Luck,Dave S.

Orange Poison

Established Member
Hey Folks,

Why not just use the recommended weight for our cars, but use a synthetic oil :idea: (after 5,000 miles of course)

Who makes a good 5w 20 full synthetic oil?

I will be sticking to the recommended weight.

Users who are viewing this thread