Another science question: Terraforming Venus

James Snover

The Ill-Advised Physics Amplification Co
Established Member
Premium Member
I had a professor once who did the math, and claimed that if Venus gets hit with a big enough comet, it would knock off 90% of it's atmosphere, reducing it to a more Earth-normal level. The co-incidental capture of several quintillion tons of water would also dilute it's remaining acidity, and in a couple of thousand years, after everything settles back down, Venus would be habitable. This assumes that there are no on-going internal geological processes that would continue to re-supply it's atmosphere to an again unacceptable higher level.

James Snover

The Ill-Advised Physics Amplification Co
Established Member
Premium Member
He also had plans for controlling Venus' albedo, to absorb or reflect more or less of the sun's radiation as needed to maintain an overall climate. Silica-aluminum particles in the atmosphere to reflect heat, CFC's for absorption.

BDF8

UF Alum. GO GATORS
Established Member
I would be more excited about Fusion power capability. Being able to travel through Sol fascinates me and depresses me at the same time because of how primitive our technology is. All we need to do is figure out how to create a 100 million degree controlled environment and we're there! Lol

EatonEggbeater

You tried to rob WHAT?
Established Member
I would be more excited about Fusion power capability. Being able to travel through Sol fascinates me and depresses me at the same time because of how primitive our technology is. All we need to do is figure out how to create a 100 million degree controlled environment and we're there! Lol

Go at night?

venom_inc

Killing time at work.
Established Member
If we could get rid of Venus' greenhouse gasses, what would its surface temperature be like?

zyP2MHQ.jpg

TJSwoboda

Established Member
I had a professor once who did the math, and claimed that if Venus gets hit with a big enough comet, it would knock off 90% of it's atmosphere, reducing it to a more Earth-normal level. The co-incidental capture of several quintillion tons of water would also dilute it's remaining acidity, and in a couple of thousand years, after everything settles back down, Venus would be habitable. This assumes that there are no on-going internal geological processes that would continue to re-supply it's atmosphere to an again unacceptable higher level.
He also had plans for controlling Venus' albedo, to absorb or reflect more or less of the sun's radiation as needed to maintain an overall climate. Silica-aluminum particles in the atmosphere to reflect heat, CFC's for absorption.
Ah... Hitting a planet with a comet never struck me as a terraforming measure, but yeah, that could do it...

We just have to go from suck to blow!
crazy.gif

capnkirk52

Eat more POTATOES!!!
Established Member

Chemtrails on Venus? haha.

Users who are viewing this thread