Another set of 6R80 conversion questions

Sportin' Wood

Established Member
Hey guys, what's up. First time poster here, been lurking for a while and have some questions on the above.

My car is a an early 2013 GT (build date Nov 2012) premium with the 6M. I would like to swap to the 6R80 (my manual is whining like crazy already) and will likely use an F150 trans as they seem to be more available in my area. Will look for a 2013 or 2014 trans for the swap so I can have the select shift feature as well. The question I have is with regards to selecting the correct ECM and sorting out the F150 trans strategy to work with my vehicle. Is this something that I can do myself or will I require the help of my local dealer, whom I'm sure would not have done this conversion before.

I have also borrowed a list of parts required from another poster here.
The auto shifter dr3z-7210-ba
Shifter cable br3z-7e395-c
Flex plate bl3z6375-a
Transmission cooler br3z-7a095-b
Trans fluid tubes cr3z-7r081-b
Mustang trans lever br3z-7a256-a
Shifter bezel for the auto ar3z-7e391-aa
Auto
brake reservoir 9r3z-2k478-b
Auto trans harness dr3z-14300-g

Is there anything else that I need to be on the lookout for.

thanks for any help on this

Torchy

Established Member
I'm in the middle of my swap now.

On the ECU you want a WYN4, which replaces the WYN3. WYN3 was the old one and WYN4 is what Ford makes now. Make sure and get all codes, and markings off the trans. I believe you need the valve body strategy and solenoid strategy. Their should be a sticker on the case that states these 2.

Since your running a F-150 trans there is a bracket that'll use 2 pan bolts you need to hold the cable. You need to fabricate a bracket that holds it or get ahold of singalzero on here. He makes them.

There are 2 little clips, your new cable will come with one (or the shifter I can't remember) and you will need another (2 total) and your fabricated bracket will house this. http://www.amazon.com/Ford-4C3Z-7H181-AA-CONNECTOR/dp/B000NTGZBQ

Also figure out what you are going to do with the clutch pedal. I am using a new auto brake pedal assembly. It's about $55-60 from a dealer.

Also don't forget ARP Flexplate bolts. JPC has the best deal on them and they are in stock.

Sportin' Wood

Established Member
Hey Torchy thanks for the feedback on this.
Do you have a p/n for the WYN4 Ecu? Also how do you know this is the one I'll need for my setup. Sorry just trying to put together my parts list and want to make sure i get the right bits. Is there a breakdown somewhere that explains the ecu codes.

What are you doing for the ids portion, do you have the tool or going in to the dealer for this portion?

I pm'd signalzero with some questions just waiting to hear back from him. The brake pedal swap and flexplate bolts are great ideas as well. Will add this to my list as well.

Have you started the swap or collecting parts still? Mustang or f150 trans?

Torchy

Established Member
Hey Torchy thanks for the feedback on this.
Do you have a p/n for the WYN4 Ecu? Also how do you know this is the one I'll need for my setup. Sorry just trying to put together my parts list and want to make sure i get the right bits. Is there a breakdown somewhere that explains the ecu codes.

I don't fully know the codes for the WYN4 but I happen to work for Ford:) I have access to every VIN so I looked up a VIN that has every option, then cross referenced it with the associated ECU in parts that would attach to that VIN. From what I understand, if you have a ECU that supports every option you can go in and add that option from factory. For example, if you didn't have factory reverse camera, you could add all the stock hardware and it will work like stock assuming you have the stock screen in the car.

What are you doing for the ids portion, do you have the tool or going in to the dealer for this portion?

Having a tech at my store handle that part for me. He's going to bring the IDS to my house and we have to program the ECU, cluster, keys, ABS and trans.

I pm'd signalzero with some questions just waiting to hear back from him. The brake pedal swap and flexplate bolts are great ideas as well. Will add this to my list as well.

Have you started the swap or collecting parts still? Mustang or f150 trans?

I am in the middle of all of it now. Still waiting on motor to get to my house. It's an F-150. Oh and random but you make sure you do not have a very late 14 trans like I did. You will need an 11-13 pump gear drive on the tranny. Or an early 14. The late 14's went to a 2015 F-150 design and it will not work with any after market converter or a stock converter.

Also just realized you'll need the shield that goes between the bell and block. It's a cheap ford part.

Russo

Unofficial Glass Tech
Established Member
if you aren't going with a Circle D converter, i have a stock converter with 34,200 miles on it for sale if you're interested.

Sportin' Wood

Established Member
Thanks for the offer Russo, but planning on using a circle d

Torchy any chance you can verify this p/n is correct for the ecu" WYN4 BR3A-12B684-CC"?

Did you complete the swap?

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread