Another ticket question

Snake_93

Established Member
I was in the right hand turn lane and pulled up to the light. There was a motorbike cop sitting on the sidewalk off to the right of the right hand turn lane. Light was red so I signaled and made a complete stop, and then made my right turn pulling into the far right lane and immediately signaling and pulling into the middle lane. About half a mile down the road this motorbike comes riding up on my ass way too damn fast. He hits me with his lights and I pull over.

He comes up to the car and asked me for my proof of insurance and registration. I handed him that info and then he asked for my license. I informed him that I did not have my license or any tipe of ID on me as I was just going to the gym (yes I know it is illegal). The whole time I am being very polite with yes sir and no sir. He didnt even tell me why he had pulled me over.

He walks back to his patrol bike and radios to dispatch and checks my name and DOB. About 5 minutes later he comes back to my car window and hands me this ticket with 4 infractions on it and told me to sign it. I asked him what I was being ticketed for and he said that I made an improper turn by pulling directly into the middle lane instead of the far right hand lane. I was also cited for not having my license on me, not having an up to date address on my license, and for not wearing a seatbelt.

So I asked the officer if he happened to see the grey minivan in front of me at the light that had turned and pulled directly into the far left hand lane with no signal at all. He then snatched my ticket out of my hand and walked back to his bike with out saying a word. Comes back a few minutes later with yet another ticket with two more infractions on it! Improper lane change - no signal, and speeding! WTF? How can he nail me for making an improper turn AND an improper lane change?

So I just bit my lip and signed the damn thing and will be contesting it in court. I know I can petition to get his speedometer calibrations as well as his radar gun calibrations. The thing is...he didnt even have his radar gun out so how could he justify giving me a speeding ticket when he knew all too damn well I was not speeding?

Also where the officer was sitting on the sidewalk there was a huge gas station sign that advertises prices right to his right which blocked his view of me after I had turned. How could he prove that I turned directly into the middle lane? I actually turned into the right lane and then made a quick switch into the middle lane. I plan on taking my camera back to that intersection and taking pics of where the cop was sitting and also the huge sign that was blocking his view of me and will be taking those to court. Do you think it would be a wise move to contest these tickets?

zzzzzer

Livin' Life Roush-less :(
Established Member
Originally posted by Snake_93
So I asked the officer if he happened to see the grey minivan in front of me at the light that had turned and pulled directly into the far left hand lane with no signal at all. He then snatched my ticket out of my hand and walked back to his bike with out saying a word. Comes back a few minutes later with yet another ticket with two more infractions on it
:eek: :lol1: I'm definitely not laughing at you, its just that this is something out of a dark comedy. If you do contest it I'd do so w/ a lawyer by my side. Good luck w/ everything.

hillie16

Stand Silent in Flames
Established Member

So I asked the officer if he happened to see the grey minivan in front of me at the light that had turned and pulled directly into the far left hand lane with no signal at all.

Ever go fishing? Ever catch all the fish? At once?

How can he nail me for making an improper turn AND an improper lane change?

They are two seperate offenses.

Good Luck....I think you'll need it.:shrug:

FordSVTFan

Oh, the humanity of it all.
Established Member
Hillie, after rereading this I think luck is definitely needed. But more over a good lawyer!!!

Ryan

It's Not Your Concern
Super Moderator
Hey guys, I'm curious. I'm on neither side, but I'm curious as to some of hte answers he asks.

I understnad the two infractions for the turn and lane change. But how can you get smacked with a ticket, ask a question then bam get another ticket?

Not flaming you knuckleheads ;) just wondering.

FordSVTFan

Established Member
Originally posted by RTStabler51
Hey guys, I'm curious. I'm on neither side, but I'm curious as to some of hte answers he asks.

I understnad the two infractions for the turn and lane change. But how can you get smacked with a ticket, ask a question then bam get another ticket?

Not flaming you knuckleheads ;) just wondering.

Really simple. The officer was cutting him a break initially by not writing all the violations he could. Then as the driver become a "know it all" the rest of the violations came back into play.

It is called discretion. The officer initially used some discretion in giving him the violations then realized he needed less discretion based on the drivers attitude:(

Ryan

It's Not Your Concern
Super Moderator
Ah ok. Thanks :thumbsup:

Guess thats why I usually just nod my head.....my SgtMaj taught me something!

TJSwoboda

Established Member
I'd file a report with his department's Office of Professional Standards or the equivalent. One report *probably* won't mean a thing ("probably" as in "trying to dodge flames from LEOs who have had false reports filed against them" ;-) ), but if similar reports against the officer start piling up he could be in hot water.

99% of the cops out there are great people, and I have yet to have an experience remotely like the one you described. This asshole is giving the other 99% a bad name, and IMO something should be done about it.

--T.J.

NeedForSpeed

Established Member
Get the guys name and badge number, file a complaint against him at your local station.

Call the local news, see if they wanna do a story about crooked cops....... lol tell your story on the 10 oclock news!

lol

FordSVTFan

Established Member
Originally posted by NeedForSpeed
Get the guys name and badge number, file a complaint against him at your local station.

Call the local news, see if they wanna do a story about crooked cops....... lol tell your story on the 10 oclock news!

lol

His name and badge number are on the tickets!

If you feel you were wrongly issued a citation that is a court issue. But if you want to bring his attitude and demeanor to his supervisors attention that can be done at the police station.

As for this comment "Call the local news, see if they wanna do a story about crooked cops....... "

None of what was posted makes him a crooked cop! It may make him a dick, but not crooked. He didnt ask for money or favors to get out of a ticket or anything remotely similar.

TJSwoboda

Established Member
Originally posted by FordSVTFan
As for this comment "Call the local news, see if they wanna do a story about crooked cops....... "

None of what was posted makes him a crooked cop! It may make him a dick, but not crooked. He didnt ask for money or favors to get out of a ticket or anything remotely similar.
True, but according to Snake93's post this cop issued him tickets for infractions that clearly didn't happen. It *could* be a mistake, but if not then IMHO writing a citation for an offense he knows Snake didn't commit constitutes corruption.

(Yes, I know there's a formal definition of corruption, but it's escaping me right now. Even if what happened falls outside that definition, well, hopefully you still get my point. :))

--T.J.

sbro712

Established Member
TJSwobode, it sure is nice of you to assume that the officer wrote Snake_93 tickets for "infractions that clearly didn't happen". How do you know what the officer saw? Were you there with the officer or Snake_93?

You only have one side of the story. Y'all expect us (officers) to get both sides of a story before we take any action or form opinions...why don't you do the same? Or is not a police officer entitled to the same benefit of the doubt you are giving Snake_93?

TJSwoboda

Established Member
I agree, and I did specify "according to Snake's post." I wasn't there and, as you say, have no idea what actually happened. When people post things that happen to them, I take them at their word and give whatever advice I can based on that assumption. For all I know, of course, Snake could have gotten out of the car with a "What the F***?!" attitude. ;-)

Of course, for all you know I might really drive an '82 Yugo... :D

--T.J.

Edit: Hey! My dad's got a ZRX1200R too. Nice bike...

sbro712

Established Member
Edit: Hey! My dad's got a ZRX1200R too. Nice bike...

Hey! Was that a shot at me ? :) I'm not THAT old yet.

As for the rest of the reply, I am glad you take that approach to posts. I apologize for misinterpreting your reply.

FordSVTFan

Established Member
Originally posted by TJSwoboda
True, but according to Snake93's post this cop issued him tickets for infractions that clearly didn't happen. It *could* be a mistake, but if not then IMHO writing a citation for an offense he knows Snake didn't commit constitutes corruption.

(Yes, I know there's a formal definition of corruption, but it's escaping me right now. Even if what happened falls outside that definition, well, hopefully you still get my point. :))

--T.J.

Once again, the officer issued tickets based on his observations/investigation. Yes they may be wrong or misleading observations, but none the less he issued them.

For the officer to be considered corrupt or crooked it would have to involve some sort of benefit for the officer, ie. receipt of money, services or goods in exchange for some relief by the officer. Or done at the urging of another party to cause "Snake93" some harm or distress, in exchange for a favor, compensation, etc..

If we take Snake93's story as completely accurate then the officer is guilty of misjudgement and being a prick, but not corruption or being crooked.

Users who are viewing this thread