Another "what would you do" thread

99GTvert

Established Member
So I am about done with daily driving my RWD HD F150 in the snowbelt. My plan was to wait for the new F150 to come out and get that. The only problem is that I'm finding it hard to justify spending $45000 on a new truck. Even a bare bones, extended cab, 4X4 is well into the 30's. The other option would be to buy a used, 4-cylinder Tacoma/Colorado and then I could use the money saved to build the Factory Five Roadster I've been dreaming about the last 5+ years. I have access to a couple Superduties through my dad if I ever needed a bigger truck for something. I just started a new job ~40 miles from home, so the added MPG's would be a plus. I've heard guys with 5-speed Tacoma's are getting upper 20's on the freeway even though the EPA rating is 21, and the new Eco-boosts seem to be rated optimistically. I know it is ultimately my decision, so I guess I'm just wondering if the Tacoma guys are full of it, or they are really that good on gas.

99GTvert

Established Member
The 4-cylinder 4X4's only come in extended cab that I have seen. I could care less about looks, it just has to get me from point a to point b, and be capable enough to haul a bike or an average Home Depot run. The main concern I have with them is fitting a car seat in the back. No kids, but plans for a couple in the future, and something I have to consider.

J-Hem

Guy Trilby
Established Member
So I am about done with daily driving my RWD HD F150 in the snowbelt. My plan was to wait for the new F150 to come out and get that. The only problem is that I'm finding it hard to justify spending $45000 on a new truck. Even a bare bones, extended cab, 4X4 is well into the 30's. The other option would be to buy a used, 4-cylinder Tacoma/Colorado and then I could use the money saved to build the Factory Five Roadster I've been dreaming about the last 5+ years. I have access to a couple Superduties through my dad if I ever needed a bigger truck for something. I just started a new job ~40 miles from home, so the added MPG's would be a plus. I've heard guys with 5-speed Tacoma's are getting upper 20's on the freeway even though the EPA rating is 21, and the new Eco-boosts seem to be rated optimistically. I know it is ultimately my decision, so I guess I'm just wondering if the Tacoma guys are full of it, or they are really that good on gas.

Don't know how used you are considering but my 01 Tacoma 4x4 (although I really liked it) didnt get anywhere near upper 20's for mileage.

J-Hem

Guy Trilby
Established Member
My son in his car seat fit fine in the back of mine when he was little. Just don't expect much in the way of sitting any adults back there comfortably.

99GTvert

Established Member
Don't know how used you are considering but my 01 Tacoma 4x4 (although I really liked it) didnt get anywhere near upper 20's for mileage.

My son in his car seat fit fine in the back of mine when he was little. Just don't expect much in the way of sitting any adults back there comfortably.

Both good info. This is why I'm still leaning towards the new F150. Tons of rear seat room, and projections are pointing towards mid 20 MPG's. It would be the perfect family/road trip vehicle. The only downside is not having the extra funds for a fun, weekend car.

kirks5oh

kirks5oh
Established Member
When does the new f150 come out and why would it be worth waiting for?

99GTvert

Established Member
When does the new f150 come out and why would it be worth waiting for?

Most likely fall of next year. More of a focus on better fuel mileage. Rumors are it will be 700lbs lighter (possibly by using aluminum for body panels), an extension that comes off the tailgate that allows much easier transport of long lumber/ladders, and many other pretty cool features. Search Ford Atlas, I was pretty impressed.

Dragu1a

Established Member
me? i'd take the 4 banger 4x4 and a cheap ass civic(or something comparable). use the 4wd when it snows or small trips to home depot, old honda for dd and fuel economy. your dad has the superduty for big jobs, save the $ and get a roadster.

TurboBird

Boost Junkie
Established Member
me? i'd take the 4 banger 4x4 and a cheap ass civic(or something comparable). use the 4wd when it snows or small trips to home depot, old honda for dd and fuel economy. your dad has the superduty for big jobs, save the $ and get a roadster.

Somewhat agree. Get a beater for the next year n focus on the car. You sound like you dont mind much. What about a sub 5k truck?

Users who are viewing this thread