Antenna Replacement

01blkcovert

Established Member
Anyone replaced the original with one of those euro style shorty antennas. Researching to see if you gain or lose anything with that replacement.

Dana

Bluesmobile
Established Member
I found a cheapo 17 inch replacement mast for 7 or 8 bucks. It bends really bad at 100 mph. Didn't hurt the reception any, but I live near a large metropolitan area too.
I'm still looking for a good quality mast, but am not having any luck.
YMMV.
Dana

gchronis

Get used to avatar
Established Member
I just took mine completely off. It won't find any stations while scanning, because the signal is pretty weak, but if you manually tune into a station, I have no problems with receptiion. I live in a pretty flat town, though. I mostly play CD's, so I don't care about the radio that much either, but it works. Have you tried it without the antena?

Dana

Bluesmobile
Established Member
Hi George,
Yes mine works pretty good with out it. Usually you couldn't tell it wasn't there. But somehow, something has to go into that hole, and the cheapo was better than nothing.
Dana

DaveSVT03

Established Member
I got one 2nd hand that is aluminum and powder coated a glossy black that goes real nicely with my Black Vert. I think it was a Shorty brand. I got it for like $5 from someone that didn't like it on their lightning. If you're interested PM me and I'll get the brand info for you. New I think it's less than $30.

DaveSVT03

Established Member
OOPS forgot to say that I didn't notice any change in reception and it doesn't bend at all.

Last edited:

Sweetlu60

AZ Bondostang
Established Member
I have the shorty antenna that my wife calls the speed indicator, because it bends in the breeze. I live in Phoenix and do not see any reception problems. I saw on a web site, an antenna delete kit, which places the antenna in side the car, problem is I cannot think of the website, now. Also, I think the Cobra R had a plug to cover the missing antenna connection, which would really make the car look sleek.

TPOC

Established Member
I know lifter213 cut his by 18 inches I believe. Looks real good. :thumbsup: I'll let him chime in if he wants on how he did it.

lifter213

Established Member
Just cut it the length you want it. I cut my GT and the Cobra antenna so they are i think 17 inches long. If you do it right nobody will be able to tell. Mine looks stock ;-) No change in reception. I dont listen to the radio all that much anyway.

shorten antenna

lifter213

Established Member
Originally posted by TPOC
I know lifter213 cut his by 18 inches I believe. Looks real good. :thumbsup: I'll let him chime in if he wants on how he did it.

haha thanks, i was typing it out i guess the same time you where posting.

Cobra'03

Established Member
The optimum antenna length is 31 inches for best DX reception. No way around it, it is a matter of physics based on the wavelengths of the 88-108 mHz range.

Dana

Bluesmobile
Established Member
Cobra'03
You're correct about the optimum length, but around the larger metroploitan areas, it doesn't make much difference unless you are trying to get a staion out in the boonies.

Lifter,
What did you do to finish the cut end and what about the wire(?) that's running around the antenna?
Dana

Bry 03 Cobra

Established Member
I cut mine so its even with the roofline, looks nice. I used the smallest vac plug I could find. stuck it on the top.

MineralG03

Established Member
I cut mine at 17" and installed the little ball back. Looks good, just be careful in removing the ball before cutting the antenae. Then file the cut end and use a small amount of epoxy, then reinstall the ball. Touchup with gloss black if neccessary.

MineralG03

lifter213

Established Member
Basically what MineralG03 said. Just measure with it on the car how tall you would like it example 17-18 inches is about even with the roof. Take the antenna off and wrap that spot that your going to cut with masking tape. Measure it and mark it exactly where you want to cut it with a pen or something. Get a Dremel tool etc that can cut it easily and cut it. Dont worry about the wire that's wrapped around it, it cuts fine. That's just how the antenna is shapped. After its cut you'll have to knock the ball off the end with a rag and something like pliers etc that can do it. Be carefull cause once it comes off it goes flying. Now you'll have to use a grinder or something similar to grind down the tip of the antenna so the ball will fit on it. Do it so its kinda hard to get on and make sure its straight. Stick a little bit of some epoxy in there and stick the ball on. I sprayed mine with some flat black paint i believe on the end to touch it up.

Me and my dad did mine and we are both major perfectionist so we took our time. My friend did his 01 Cobra and it looks like he did it in about 5 minutes so it looks like s**t.

Hope that helps..

BBriBro

Established Member
Originally posted by Cobra'03
The optimum antenna length is 31 inches for best DX reception.
You could try a FUBA antenna like VW and Audi use, they are amplified to regain what they lost in length. I'm sure someone makes an amplified antenna that is straight, and not designed for a roof mount.

MineralG03

Established Member
Antenae Mod

Lifter,

Youare absolutely right! you need to take your time. My mod was pretty much as you put it, taking the antenae off the car, masking the area to be cut, filing down the tip just enough to tightly fit the ball back on and then paint the top portion of the mast.

MineralG03

Dana

Bluesmobile
Established Member
I got out my Dremel tool with a cut off wheel today, finally. Marked it at 17" and gone.
Put the ball end on the shortened antenna and touched up the end with some black paint.
Total time about 1/2 hour or a little less.
Looks factory and in this area, no loss of reception.
Dana

Users who are viewing this thread