anti freeze leakage

comprepsvo

Established Member
Ok, the past two times I have driven my 00 R, I have seen maybe a cup of anti freeze dripping off of the top of the fuel cell. I looked under the car to see if it was blowing back from the front of the car, and I do not see anything. Likewise there is nothing dripping under the motor or radiator when it is parked on the lift. So my question is, anybody else seen this or know if there is a reason for what I am seeing?

thanks

Ben

04Saleen281

Established Member
I had some leakage near the front driver's side wheel. Turns out that friction had caused the reservoir to develop a leak at the bottom. It took quite a bit of doing to get that off, but was an over the counter replacement from Advance Auto. It fixed the problem completely.

specracer

SVTOA MCA
Premium Member
Sorry for the dumb question, but are sure its antifreeze, not fuel? We are getting to the point where the 00 fuel cells will start leaking more and more, like the 95's. Also when our 95 started, it would only leak when it was moved. So the small puddle would form, when parked, then dry on the garage floor, looking "antifreezeish".

Then hopefully someone will get the tank shell, and guts to Glenn's performance so we have a tank option that looks correct, that eliminates the bladder. Very happy how our 95 looks with the Glenn's tank.

Last edited:

tomshep

Another R Addict
Established Member
You've seen it dripping.....did you smell it? I can't think of any reason for antifreeze to be back there.

Leaking fuel cell.....yes.

Tom

comprepsvo

Established Member
Well, I thought the first thing when it happened, but it is green in color and does not smell like gas Tom. It is oily to the touch and when it drips off the top of the tank, it is definately green. Where is the weep hole on our tanks when the bladder lets go, is it on the bottom ?

specracer

SVTOA MCA
Premium Member
There isn't a specific weep hole, just comes through a weld, corner etc as the bladder can isn't made to be fluid tight.

comprepsvo

Established Member
Once the bladder goes it leaks all of the time correct? For you guys who have changed the bladder. Has anyone got a tank from Glen yet?

brianz426

Established Member
How old is the gas in your car? The reason I ask is because when my kid's outgrew one of our smaller ATV's it sat for almost a year before I got rid of it. When I couldn't get it to run right even after going through the carburetor I decided empty the gas tank. The gas was green and had very little to no smell. What little smell was left was not the smell of gasoline. I filled it with fresh gas and if ran fine.

comprepsvo

Established Member
Topped it off about 3 weeks ago with straight 93 octane, the car runs fine, no issues. So I am going to check my antifreeze level, replace the radiator and de gas caps and see if it does it again. If it continues, I will drop the tank and go ahead and replace it with a new SS tank. But again, wouldn't the tank leak just parked?

tomshep

Another R Addict
Established Member
Depends on the location the bladder is leaking and the nearest place in the can with a hole to escape. I just can't think of any fluid back there except gas. My guess is the bladder. However, it could be a line, connection, clamp, who knows. Irregardless, if it keeps doing it I would definitely drop the tank.

Tom

flattrack53

Established Member
The only way I can think of antifreeze getting to the back of the car would be if it were pushed out of the front somehow and than traveled underneath of the car. i would imagine that would be a pretty noticeable leak for it to get that far.

1995COBRA-R

20 Year Member
Established Member
Premium Member
Ok, the past two times I have driven my 00 R, I have seen maybe a cup of anti freeze dripping off of the top of the fuel cell.

Antifreeze will not drip from the fuel cell. It may drip from the radiator. It may be because the radiator was overfilled. It's normal.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread