Antifreeze in your intercooler?

Steve@Tasca

Might be a bit late for this post but I hope all you guys down South have antifreeze in your intercooler systems right now.

Last time we had an unusual cold snap like this into the deep South I heard from a number of guys with cracked intercoolers.

You don't want to be this guy.

DUCKY.jpg

WhiTriCobra

PDP
Established Member
Sorry to hear and that would suck. I usually swap it out during Nov before the cold hits. Especially since I only run water and water wetter in the intercooler.

Steve@Tasca

Sorry to hear and that would suck. I usually swap it out during Nov before the cold hits. Especially since I only run water and water wetter in the intercooler.

Tennessee was one of the states I heard from last time these things froze, good to hear you switch it out. :beer:

Tex Arcana

Established Member
We hit 15deg last night; thankfully, it was in the garage, and the intercooler was drained (just had replaced the rotted lower intake elbow ).

And, thankfully, it's in the garage tonight, as the block coolant is ancient and I don't think it'll hold up to another night like that. :-\

Steve@Tasca

So what's a viable replacement for a 2001-2004 intercooler that doesn't cost the GNP of a small nation?

You got me.

Honestly though, the intercooler can be repaired in most cases if it's just cracked.

My main reason for the warning about this is for the guy that might have this happen without knowing or thinking about it and have their car/truck sit for another month or two or three with the engine full of water.

It'll make a mess of an engine.

Last edited:

Tex Arcana

Established Member
You got me.

Honestly though, the intercooler can be repaired in most cases if it's just cracked.

My main reason for the warning about this is for the guy that might have this happen without knowing or thinking about it and have their car/truck sit for another month or two or three with the engine full of water.

It'll make a mess of an engine.

Well, yeah, hydrolocking comes to mind. :-(

What if just the fins are damaged?? When I cleaned mine recently,I left it in the cleaner for a bit too long, and it ate up the fins in a 2" band.:cryying:

Steve@Tasca

Odds are if it ate the fins it probably damaged the tubes a bit as well but if it's holding it might be okay.

Only time will tell.

Tex Arcana

Established Member
Gesh, what did you use to clean it? HF?

Purple Power, but then added another cleaner that's purple (from VatoZona) that turns out is harsher on aluminum; then, I compounded the error by letting it soak too long (the weather turned COLD --we had that big ice storm blow thru), and I got sick, so it ate up a 1-1/2" band of fins. :-(

They didn't disintegrate altogether: it was the area where air met solvent, and they oxidized the fins. The tubes seem utterly unaffected, however.

I cleaned it all up with a combination of water, vinegar, Berryman's Carb Cleaner, and (the most effective it seems) Marvel Mystery Oil--it just picked up any oxidation and floated it off the fins. It still took a couple weeks in good weather to finally get it clean enough to put back together.

Users who are viewing this thread