Antimatter.

DaleM

ATACMS changing the game!
Established Member
SVTP OG 4 Life
Just when you thought nothing could be created from something, this comes along.

CobraRed01

CornerCarvinCravin
Established Member
We have been making antimatter for ages. Every PET scan uses positrons (Positron Emission Tomography), and that is only one example.

*positrons are the antimatter equivalent of electrons

Jim Snover

This PET thing has always had me scratching my head. How the hell (or heck, if you prefer) do they create the anti-electrons and use them without creating a massive explosion? You would think the COMPLETE conversion of matter to energy as should happen in a matter vs. antimatter confrontation would create havoc...or a big pop. Jim, can you shed some light on this? Is it because the relative mass is so small?

James Snover

The Ill-Advised Physics Amplification Co
Established Member
Premium Member
The short answer is that a little antimatter goes a long way. When you are talking about an electron and a positron annihilating, you get a pair of high-energy gamma rays traveling in equal and opposite directions. But the total energy released is still only mc^2, and there isn't a lot of mass in an electron and a positron. And that is all you are dealing with in a PET scan, the occasional electron meeting the occasional positron. So you only get a little high-energy radiation.

Now, if you had two gallons of antiwater and water, _then_ you would have a pretty big bang.

Jim Snover

This PET thing has always had me scratching my head. How the hell (or heck, if you prefer) do they create the anti-electrons and use them without creating a massive explosion? You would think the COMPLETE conversion of matter to energy as should happen in a matter vs. antimatter confrontation would create havoc...or a big pop. Jim, can you shed some light on this? Is it because the relative mass is so small?

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread