antirattle break clip...

slow_rider

Established Member
Got a rattle problem with my front breaks... replaced the rotors and pads with hopes of fixing it but to no avail.. I find out now that there is supposed to be something called an anti rattle clip?? and they usually come with new pads. Well mine did not and I do not know what I need.

What I need to know is can I make a replacement or do I need to buy these clips somewhere?

Also, does someone have a picture of breaks that show this clip?

thanks in advance.

Also all information was acquired over on stangnet..

SNK BITN

Established Member
Did you throw away the old pads? They might still be on there, your local ford dealer should sell a replacement. Try NAPA if you have on in your area.

slow_rider

Established Member
The old pads looked just like the new ones. if I am understanding correctly the antirattle clip is something separate right? i mean it can be taken off of the pads correct? that means that my old pads did not have the clips either.....

ahhhh

Dano

"Book 'em Dano"
Established Member
The anti-rattle clips are individual parts. When someone replaced the pads on your car, they didn't take the clips off & install them on the new pads. When you reinstall them, they have to be bent slightly, to create friction & hold them onto the pad.

If you replaced the rotors & pads to stop the rattle, you ripped yourself off (LOL).

Look in a repair manual (ie: Haynes) ... it has specific steps for doing the brake job (rotors, pads, clips, etc.).

Just get some new clips and you'll be okay.

Dan

slow_rider

Established Member
Originally posted by Dano
If you replaced the rotors & pads to stop the rattle, you ripped yourself off (LOL).

Look in a repair manual (ie: Haynes) ... it has specific steps for doing the brake job (rotors, pads, clips, etc.).

Dan

I replaced the rotors and pads also do to warped rotors :gt: but I took it as a time to upgrade them.. it is just the rattle now...

got to get a manual and them clips...

Dano

"Book 'em Dano"
Established Member
I think Advance Auto Parts has the clips, in a kit ... if not, Ford can't be too expensive (ha-ha). I had one or two left over from my brake job, but that's not enough.

My rotors weren't warped (I don't think-I didn't have the right "stuff" to check the runout), but they had a nice outer edge rim - they were worn pretty bad.

Say, have you had any trouble with the inner hub area of your new rotors rusting? After a few days, mine (all 4) started rusting, so I had to take the wheels off, mask everything up, and paint the inner hub area silver. The paint has held good, and they look a hell of a lot better.

Good luck on the clips,
Dan

slow_rider

Established Member
no rust problems yet. they have only been on for about 2 weeks now.. the rotors are also supposed to be 'anticorrosion' (think i spelled it right :shrug: )....

my calipers on the other had need a good coat of paint..maybe when I tear the breaks apart again I will paint them

Dano

"Book 'em Dano"
Established Member
Yeah, when I was pricing my rotors, some of the high dollar ones had a protective coating on them. If you do paint the calipers, it's easy to slip them back off, and get the masking tape & newspapers applied! One can of A-Z high temp paint was barely enough.

See my story about painting mine, on my Cobra Web Page:
http://users2.ev1.net/~w8368/must2.htm I tried to drive home the necessity to let them dry REAL good before you try to put the calipers back on over the pads (I had to touch-up several times).

Dan

edited the LINK address: scroll down on my Cobra page, and you'll see a link for the brakejob.

Last edited:

slow_rider

Established Member
cool thanks.... yeh the expesive ones... you mean like $300 for a set....

that is what mine were....:bash: but boy do they stop.:beer:

Users who are viewing this thread