Any Diabetics?

MassCobra

All set
Established Member
Unfortunately I found out I have diabetes today. I pretty much knew this diagnosis was coming because I've had some of the tell tale symptoms the past couple of months. Excessive thirst and numbness. I'm not overweight so its probably more from diet.

I've been given a strict diet and a prescription for metformin and go back in 3 weeks for a follow up and see if I need insulin. Hopefully meds and diet can manage it.

So what I want to know is what worked or didn't work for you and has anyone been lucky enough to reverse it and totally get off medication?

01yellercobra

Established Member
I don't have it (thankfully), but have had a couple family members end up with it and a friend has it. My dad was diagnosed around 21 or 22 and basically didn't change anything. It came back to haunt him in his 40's when he lost body parts. My grandfather (mom's side) was diagnosed with it in his 60's I think. His diet wasn't horrible as he was a heart attack survivor and took good care of himself. He tweaked his diet and got off insulin pretty quick.

The friend is currently working on his diet and health and everything is lining up to get off the meds. So it is possible.

robvas

Established Member
I had the thirst thing going on...knew what was coming. Went to the doctor at the end of last year and they said I was pre-diabetic. Between halloween candy and who knows what else I knew I had been eating pretty bad.

Anyway, I quit drinking my daily 1 or 2 cokes (still hit the candy a little bit), went back a few months later for bloodwork and they said I looked alright.

Black Gold 380R

Multiple SVT Collector
Established Member
I have it. Found out a few years ago. When I was initially diagnosed it scared the crap out of me. I love sugar and diabetes runs in my family. My grandmother passed away from complications due to diabetes. My dad says he has a few cousins who have lost some limbs.

They started me on Metformin twice a day, but it made my stomach upset. So, I take Metformin (1000mg) before bed and I take Jardience (25mg) in the morning.

I'm not over weight either. When I keep my diet on track and take my medication (I do not take insulin) it is manageable. However, there's only so much good for you crap I can eat.

So, I try to manage my diet M-F and then on the weekends I splurge a little (i.e. fast food, pizza, some sweets, etc.).

Can I do better? probably, but everything that's good for you sucks in my opinion LOL. I tried switching to brown rice, wheat bread, salad, low crab intake, no sugar and so on. I was miserable and grumpy LOL.

So, I had to find a balance that works for me. Yes, I could shore up my cravings and live a little longer, but I'd rather live with my numbers a little higher (i.e. pre-diabetic levels), live happy and let the good lord take me when he comes a calling.

I go to the doctor and have things checked out. Two common problems are vision and feet. So far, every time I go to the doctor he says my A1C's are a little higher than he likes, but my vision and feet are in good shape.

So, this is how I'm living for now. I'm 56, but may need to make further adjustments into my 60's. Only time will tell how things turn out in the future. I can prepare for tomorrow, but like living for today.

Good luck to you on your diabetic path @MassCobra

03Sssnake

TK-421
Established Member
I don’t have it, but both types run on my fathers side. He has type II and my great grandmother was a type I..I do monitor my blood sugar periodically with a home glucose meter and have my doctor run A1C… so far, so good, though my fasting glucose has creeped into mid-nineties.. while that’s technically in the ok range, my glucose used to stay in the 80-90s even after a meal, lol…

Berberine is a great supp that has the same mechanism in the body as metformin. I have started taking it before/with meals. Blood glucose stays at/near fasting levels even after big meals.

Rb0891

Established Member
Premium Member
I was put on metformin 6 months back. Lost about 20lbs lightened up on the carbs and sugar and was back under the guidelines last time. Still on it though. Never had any numbness but vision would get blurry when I would scarf down a pizza.

Rb0891

Established Member
Premium Member
Oh yeah. Have them give you a lifestyle Libre. Kind of shocking what does and doesn’t cause spikes. Sequence matters too.

Morgan

Established Member
I'm parroting information I've heard in podcasts, but I'm pretty confident that you have options to impact that diagnosis via diet, exercise and sleep to avoid medicines.

I heard this doctor (in a podcast) state that most (at least, over half) of the t2 diabetics he treats can absolutely reverse the diagnosis with a prolonged fast. He actually said it's the first thing he recommends for new patients.

Last edited:

BLOWN PONY

Established Member
Don't have it yet, but I know its coming.
My whole dads side of the family has it but they all manage it pretty well.
One thing that has helped my father deal with cravings is my mom started making homemade sourdough bread instead of buying garbage bread. For whatever reason dads sugars stay in line as long as he sticks to that instead of store bought bread.
It's a shitty deal because basically the whole family eats better than 90% of the country and are all pretty physically fit, but we still seem to get it.
Maybe its the beer. LOL

Morgan

Established Member
Don't have it yet, but I know its coming.
My whole dads side of the family has it but they all manage it pretty well.
One thing that has helped my father deal with cravings is my mom started making homemade sourdough bread instead of buying garbage bread. For whatever reason dads sugars stay in line as long as he sticks to that instead of store bought bread.
It's a shitty deal because basically the whole family eats better than 90% of the country and are all pretty physically fit, but we still seem to get it.
Maybe its the beer. LOL

Watch this:

Weather Man

Persistance Is A Bitch
Established Member
Yeah, type 2 for quite a while and a long time not diagnosed. Make sure you get on Metformin extended release because the standard metformin will F your bowels. Take getting your eyes checked annually seriously. For several years I controlled with my best efforts at watching what I eat and worked out on a bike every day. I generally kept my A1C under 7.5 but it wasn't the best control. Then I had an eye exam where the doc said I had a small flame in one eye. At the same time, I started having the pins and needles in the feet.

That scared me enough to go back into the doctor and got put on Victoza with the metformin. Did much better and went through the pins and needles in the feet again as my nerves healed. Several years later and A1C creeping up into 7 range and had to bite the bullet and do my best attempt at KETO. When I keep KETO my A1C is in the 5.5 to 5.9 range.

The biggest shock to me was when I got and kept my A1C under control is that body changes that had happened slowly over years came back. I had stopped having urination erections and morning wood and I was having trouble performing. I just thought it was part of getting older, completely wrong. When my body healed up with blood sugar under control, all those functions came back to normal. The first morning I had a urination erection, I laughed, thought those were gone for good.

Pay close attention to your toenails. If they start splitting, that is another sign your A1C is not under control.

Getting on something like Victoza will help you control how much you eat. You can still eat the wrong things and blow your A1C. For me, going KETO was the only way to really keep my A1C in check.

Another thing that really helped me was visualizing what a high A1C represents. It is the crap that accumulates on your red blood cells and slices and dices blood vessel walls and makes it harder for the red blood cells to get where they need to be.

Good luck, the hardest thing to remember is that diabetes doesn't give two shits about how good your last test was. If you eat the wrong stuff, it will just keep on wrecking shit. I have read that a carnivore diet allows people to wean off of meds, but that is a wicked hard diet to stay on.

Silverstrike

It's to big to move FAST!
Established Member
@Silverstrike I think he has it pretty severe IIRC. I know we talked about something medical a while back.
Yes brittle and a month ago got pulled over by a Sheriff and was at 45 B sugar, I was 133 when I left my house. I knew I was in trouble got a 6 pack of Coke 20 oz bottles and started to chug 3 down and then waited 30 minutes and decided that I was fine and continued. Turned out I wasn't and so gave me 2 tubes of Glucophage. Then I was up over 77 and then they decided that I had the option of trying to drive and have them trail me 20 miles and if I was still swerving around then I would of been sent to the ER no questions asked but I didn't because I was normal.

It had been a good 4 years since I had a drop like that and it was out of the blue. Lucky I have been pretty stable over the years but if I ever do get pulled over 5 times in a year I then stand a good chance of having my driver license revoked!!!! Hence why I always make sure I'm above 65 and to take something.

MassCobra

All set
Established Member
Thanks for the replies guys. A lot to take in but very helpful info. I'm really bummed out about having to take medication. I turned 62 this month and never had to take medication my whole life and it was something I've always hoped to avoid.

MG0h3

Established Member
Yes brittle and a month ago got pulled over by a Sheriff and was at 45 B sugar, I was 133 when I left my house. I knew I was in trouble got a 6 pack of Coke 20 oz bottles and started to chug 3 down and then waited 30 minutes and decided that I was fine and continued. Turned out I wasn't and so gave me 2 tubes of Glucophage. Then I was up over 77 and then they decided that I had the option of trying to drive and have them trail me 20 miles and if I was still swerving around then I would of been sent to the ER no questions asked but I didn't because I was normal.

It had been a good 4 years since I had a drop like that and it was out of the blue. Lucky I have been pretty stable over the years but if I ever do get pulled over 5 times in a year I then stand a good chance of having my driver license revoked!!!! Hence why I always make sure I'm above 65 and to take something.

Damn! Are you type 1? On a pump and monitor?

Sent from my iPhone using the svtperformance.com mobile app

MG0h3

Established Member
Thanks for the replies guys. A lot to take in but very helpful info. I'm really bummed out about having to take medication. I turned 62 this month and never had to take medication my whole life and it was something I've always hoped to avoid.

You can control a lot of type 2 problems with diet.

Did your doctor even talk to you about diet?

The American “diet” is ****ing garbage and causes type 2.

I just looked up what Metaformin does and it basically does what a proper diet will do.

Although insulin resistance from a high glucose diet for decades can be resistant to change.

Silverstrike

Established Member
Damn! Are you type 1? On a pump and monitor?

Yes to the first 2 no on the 3rd. But it is what it is my body decided to off itself as my white blood cells decided that it didn't like my pancreas in 1998 and hence why I am a type 1. Now it's starting to go after my kidneys and hence why I am now taking Lisinopril so as to ward off my so called immune system from targeting and destroying them.

Like that my doctor was taking bets with the whole Covid freak out and wanted to place bets that I could go into a room with 100 positive cases and walk out unharmed. All his colleagues was saying no way inn hell. Should of jumped in and made money on that bet.

MG0h3

Established Member
Yes to the first 2 no on the 3rd. But it is what it is my body decided to off itself as my white blood cells decided that it didn't like my pancreas in 1998 and hence why I am a type 1. Now it's starting to go after my kidneys and hence why I am now taking Lisinopril so as to ward off my so called immune system from targeting and destroying them.

Like that my doctor was taking bets with the whole Covid freak out and wanted to place bets that I could go into a room with 100 positive cases and walk out unharmed. All his colleagues was saying no way inn hell. Should of jumped in and made money on that bet.

Lisiniprol is a BP med no? Off label use I’m guessing

Good friends daughter developed type 1 recently. I didn’t know that was possible. Thought you were born with it or not but I guess puberty can cause it.

She’s on a pump and monitor so no finger pricks anymore. Parents can see her BGL on their phones and get alerts if she’s low or high.

Silverstrike

Established Member
Lisiniprol is a BP med no? Off label use I’m guessing

Good friends daughter developed type 1 recently. I didn’t know that was possible. Thought you were born with it or not but I guess puberty can cause it.

She’s on a pump and monitor so no finger pricks anymore. Parents can see her BGL on their phones and get alerts if she’s low or high.

Yeah and it suppresses a protein forget which one that the white blood cells home in on, is what it does for me. And so protects my kidneys from the assaults. Pump has been a life changer and saver for me from 1998 to 2010 I have been in the emergency room or hospital over 65 times!!! Yes this is why brittle diabetics are just so unbalanced and your quality of life is just not there.

I'll take bets that I have the highest and lowest blood sugar here on this site against any other diabetic. I have had 1250 to a 15 and everything in between. And still vertical as my doctor likes to put it.

Users who are viewing this thread