Any dirt bike owners in here?

Stinger2011

Established Member
I've been interested in having one since I was a kid, but I never got one. I've driven three wheelers and four wheelers before, but never a motorcycle. Anybody have a good suggestion for a dirt bike to start out on?

Steve@BAS

Established Member
Depends on your size and weight. My first one when younger was an xr100, then a CR125 at 16. Now I ride a street bike, but would get a 250 2stroke if I was going to ride again.

I hear the new 450s 4 strokes are amazing though, but I love 2 stroke :D

Matts00GT

Mongoloid Mike
Established Member
How big are you?

I'd say a 125 2 stroke or 250 4 stroke would be a good starter. Don't get a 450F unless you're a hoss and need the extra power. Too much bike imo.

Matts00GT

Mongoloid Mike
Established Member
I'm 5'10 and 165.

125 or 250F.

I grew up on two strokes so theyll always have a place in my heart, but the four strokes have their pros as well.

A 250F will serve you well and you won't have to worry about a powerband as much. Easier to ride.

Im partial to Yamaha, but Honda and Kawi both make good bikes as well. Really can't go wrong with any of the big 4. KTMs make killer machines and the Huskies and Gas Gas's are catching up quick.

Stinger2011

Established Member
Which one out of those is less likely to make me bust my ass when I first take off? Lol. It seems like i've heard the Two strokes are worse about that.

Matts00GT

Mongoloid Mike
Established Member
Four stroke as a I said. The power band isn't as aggressive. Although you can add a flywheel weight to a 2 stroke to calm it down.

ford_racer

King of SVTP
Established Member
The first bike I rode was a Kawi KDX 200 and it wasn't anything like what I was expecting. I heard 2 strokes were crazy for powerband and you'd better watch out when you hit it. When I rode it, it was nothing like that. It was smooth and I loved it.

That said, it was because it was an enduro, not an race bike, which is where they get their reputation for having an insane powerband. I've heard race bikes are a pain in the ass to learn on and aren't good for anything but tracks. That's just what I've heard however, so keep that in mind.

Matts00GT

Mongoloid Mike
Established Member
That said, it was because it was an enduro, not an race bike, which is where they get their reputation for having an insane powerband. I've heard race bikes are a pain in the ass to learn on and aren't good for anything but tracks. That's just what I've heard however, so keep that in mind.

Really not true. I barely rode on the track. My YZ250 was almost purely trail ridden and that was with no flywheel weight.

At the same time, I wasn't a beginner either.

Nothing beats the sound and smell of a two stroke.

mineralgrey01gt

loud-n-slow
Established Member
I agree to get a crf250 yf250f etc for a first bike. Im considering picking up one this summer but not sure since I already have enough fun on my LTR450 quad

ford_racer

King of SVTP
Established Member
Really not true. I barely rode on the track. My YZ250 was almost purely trail ridden and that was with no flywheel weight.

At the same time, I wasn't a beginner either.

Nothing beats the sound and smell of a two stroke.

I'm sure the fact that you are experienced with the bike helped a lot. Molly was doing shit with her bike on some of the trails we were on that I couldn't even comprehend.

only a gt

Established Member
Two strokes are a bit harder to learn on, because the power is more like an on/off switch. Four strokes have a more linear, smoother powerband. However, riders have been learning on two smokes for decades. Any newer 125 2-stroke or 250 4 stroke should be fine, I would suggest going with whatever you can find for the best deal as long as it has been well maintained.

SonicDTR

Wasn't me.
Established Member
Premium Member
Definitely sit on and test fit the bike. Definitely get a used bike.

And i'd recommend the same as otheres in here, dont go too big for your first bike to learn on. A 125 can be plenty of fun.

Blk04L

. . .
Established Member
Premium Member
250f. Easier to ride than a 125.

Go with a Kawi or Yamaha.

HAd great reliability with my Kawasaki 4 strokes.

The 09 450 I had, put 40 race hours on it and the valves were in the correct specs.

2 strokes are easier to work on, but, if you can turn a wrench and have patience, working on a 4 stroke isn't rocket science

bullitt1672

Established Member
4-strokes - Easier to ride, easier to ride fast, more expensive to fix if something breaks.

2-strokes - A LOT more fun than 4-strokes, though that's just my opinion. When racing though they wear you out more since you have to ride them harder. Cheap maintenance too.

I have had many dirt bikes (honda, kawasaki, suzuki, yamaha). Ive had 80's but big bikes I've had a 2005 YZ125 bought brand new, 2006 KX250F, 2004 CRF250, 2008 RMZ250 (current bike)

My opinion:

'06 Kawasaki KX250F- It was the fastest bike of my 250F's, never had any mechanical issues with it either.
'05 Yamaha YZ125- It was the most fun as it felt as light as a bicycle, was almost as quick as a 250f, $80 to rebuild top end, and pre-mix exhaust smells delicious.
'04 Honda CRF250R- Best overall bike as it fit my size just right I could ride it the fastest, never had any mechanical issues, great quality, never should have sold it.
'08 Suzuki RMZ250- Has good power and by far turns the best, probably sell it to get a 250 2 stroke KTM or new fuel injected 250F.

Any newer bike from the big 5 will be great, just pick a color. But stay away from 2004-2005 Kawasaki KX250F's and 2004-2005 RMZ250's, they're both the same bike and they are junk!

Last edited:

toomanymustangs

Philosopher
Established Member
What are you going to use it for? How serious do you want to get?
I started with an enduro 450 than bought a new hold-over 07 CRF450R in 08' and freakin love that thing. I ride in the mountains mainly and i ride very aggressively. The newer bikes are heavier and two strokes suck in my opinion, unless they are trail bikes. Its a pain mixing gas all the time.

heypal

What? Where am I?
Established Member
Well I asked my friend about this since he is the biggest dirt bike guy I know and he knows his crap. He wrote this for me to tell you.

First of all; get a new bike. this way your not falling into a trap. Buy a bike the same way you would buy a car. Bring someone who knows about it well. Not your weekend warrior either. Buy a four stroke. you dont have to change the top end or sprk plugs but once a year if you are just play riding. if that even. the only thing you consistanly replace is the oilfilter and oil changes. the new 250 four strokes are better bike to learn on. i highly recomend honda. you will never talk to a honda owner who say they wish they got something different. the power band is broad and very smooth and adjustable. "

Hope that helps he is a very knowledgeable guy so I'm sure I can ask him anything else for you, he is willing to help out as much as possible.

Users who are viewing this thread