Any Dr.'s in the house? (Vets that is)

jbusmc1986

Got Sig?
Established Member
I am trying to decide what I wanna do when I get outta the marines, and I wanted to know what the schooling, and actual day to day life is like as a vet, as I have always loved animals, and am thinking of this as a possible career.:read:

FAsnakes

الوزن الى القوة
Established Member
Congrats Devil... There's nothing like getting that DD214..
Just talk to a couple of local Vets and get there advice...
Good Luck,

Last edited:

FordSVTFan

Oh, the humanity of it all.
Established Member
Congrats, you will need a 4yr college degree and then 4 years of Vet school. There are a few vet school that offer a combined undergrad and DVM degree and it takes either 6 or 7 years. My buddy did his at Mississippi State. But there are only 30 vet schools in the country and they are harder to get into than med school. I went to Univ of Iowa for Med School, they have a great Vet program.

Good Luck.

Ben 98

Established Member
FordSVTFan said:
Congrats, you will need a 4yr college degree and then 4 years of Vet school. There are a few vet school that offer a combined undergrad and DVM degree and it takes either 6 or 7 years. My buddy did his at Mississippi State. But there are only 30 vet schools in the country and they are harder to get into than med school. I went to Univ of Iowa for Med School, they have a great Vet program.

Good Luck.

Auburn has the same program as Mississippi State.

kirks5oh

kirks5oh
Established Member
you got to do what you love to do for a career, but vets don't make enough money if you ask me. i talked to a guy who used to be a vet, and he confirmed that fact. vet school is very difficult to get into as stated, but if you want to do it, then by all means, go for it!!

OSU has a great vet school as well from what i've heard

MATREDGT

Established Member
My girlfriend and myself are both going to school to become vets. As people above have said it is extremely difficult to get into a vet program with the majority of the seats not even being offered to someone that applies. Many of the seats are filled by foriegn exchange students and students that the school finds due to extremely good grades, etc....

Now there are a few lesser known schools out there that are every bit as good if not better in some peoples minds. I would go talk to some of your local vets and even start volunteering at an animal rescue.

Check out Ross University on St. Kitts insland in the Caribbean and also St. George's University on St. Thomas island. Both of these schools are out of the country but they work with some of the schools in the U.S. to be an accredited university.

The reason some think that they are better schools is because there are many rules and regulations that schools in the U.S. have to follow but those outside the country don't really have to follow. Just FYI, I'm mainly referring to performing surgeries on animals/gaining surgical experience before graduation. Nothing illegal.

Hope this helps some,
Mike

tragicrex

Established Member
Good luck with your endeavors. It's great for people who love animals to go into this field. I've dealt with so many vets around here that don't seem to have a true love for the animals, for whatever reason.

RookieBeotch

Post Whore!!
Established Member
FordSVTFan said:

Good Luck.

I didn't realize you went to Iowa, did you like Iowa City?

PonyFever

'03 DSG vert 3816 of 5082
Established Member
My daughter starts college in the fall at UC Riverside with the intent of transferring to UC Davis vet program in a few years. She's always loved animals and looks at it as a way of fullfilling her dream. Good luck.

RookieBeotch

Post Whore!!
Established Member
I've lived in Iowa City my whole life and I really like it, I also plan to go to the University of Iowa but major in finance.

FordSVTFan

Established Member
MATREDGT said:
My girlfriend and myself are both going to school to become vets. As people above have said it is extremely difficult to get into a vet program with the majority of the seats not even being offered to someone that applies. Many of the seats are filled by foriegn exchange students and students that the school finds due to extremely good grades, etc....

Now there are a few lesser known schools out there that are every bit as good if not better in some peoples minds. I would go talk to some of your local vets and even start volunteering at an animal rescue.

Check out Ross University on St. Kitts insland in the Caribbean and also St. George's University on St. Thomas island. Both of these schools are out of the country but they work with some of the schools in the U.S. to be an accredited university.

The reason some think that they are better schools is because there are many rules and regulations that schools in the U.S. have to follow but those outside the country don't really have to follow. Just FYI, I'm mainly referring to performing surgeries on animals/gaining surgical experience before graduation. Nothing illegal.

Hope this helps some,
Mike

The only reason people go to Professional Schools outside of the U.S. is because they cant get into a U.S. School (med, dental, vet). The required testing to come back to the U.S. and practice here is tremendous, costly and time consuming as well.

If you cant perform the surgeries here, that experience is moot.

MATREDGT

Established Member
FordSVTFan said:
The only reason people go to Professional Schools outside of the U.S. is because they cant get into a U.S. School (med, dental, vet). The required testing to come back to the U.S. and practice here is tremendous, costly and time consuming as well.

If you cant perform the surgeries here, that experience is moot.

I understand what you are saying to a point. For instance if you were to go to Ross University you would be enrolled there for 2 years. You go year round except for some time off between semesters. From there you will make arrangements (through Ross University) to attend one of the 23 universities in the U.S. that recignize Ross as a vet school. For the remaining 1 year and 1 semester (4 semesters total) of you degree program. You will then finish out your DVM degree in that school including all testing and what not. There isn't any special testing that must be done to come back into the U.S. to practice because you will graduate from a U.S. university.

Also when I made the comment about certain procedures being done, I worded that wrong. At a U.S. vet school you won't begin to perform surgeries on a living animal until your last couple of semesters, thus not giving you much experience. This is due to rules and regulations that the U.S. has emposed on schools. Now at Ross you will begin performing surgeries much earlier in your schooling thus giving you more experience and more confidence in yourself. One of your final tests to graduate is that you must perform a spay/neuter and I believe another minor surgery, which you are graded upon. So this experience can really be beneficial to many people.

My local vet was telling me some stories about some applicants that he has interviewed for his vet practice. Suprisingly he has had quite a few of them tell him that they do not perform or they are not very good at performing surgeries.

Hope that helps some,
Mike

kirks5oh

kirks5oh
Established Member
MATREDGT said:

The reason some think that they are better schools is because there are many rules and regulations that schools in the U.S. have to follow but those outside the country don't really have to follow.
Hope this helps some,
Mike

we have residents from ross university. they are the weakest, dumbest residents in the hospital---hands down. avoid anything outside of the U.S.--you will be laughed at to no end

SLOW95

SIT DOWN AND SHUT UP!
Established Member
Fordsvtfan I Have A Question.... Are You God? Do You Know Everything, Or Is Google Your Best Friend?

FordSVTFan

Established Member
SLOW95 said:
Fordsvtfan I Have A Question.... Are You God? Do You Know Everything, Or Is Google Your Best Friend?

If you read my info, it is typical info and detail that google doesnt give up easily.

I am well versed in many areas. But certainly not a god of any type.

MATREDGT

Established Member
kirks5oh said:
we have residents from ross university. they are the weakest, dumbest residents in the hospital---hands down. avoid anything outside of the U.S.--you will be laughed at to no end

Now I am assuming that you are in the medical field some how (human not animal). I can't comment at all on the human medical part of Ross University. All I know is that the veterinarians that I have personally spoken to about Ross praise their veterinary students. I have no first hand experience with the school so my knowledge is in what I have read about them, in what I have been told by those that have attended the school, and those that have worked with those that attended Ross.

Now you say that the residents from Ross are weakest and dumbest in the hospital. How can you be so certain that these residents weren't at the bottom of their class? You can't say its fair to base you opinion on Ross by a couple/few residents that attended the University.

My doctor once told me that "Not all doctors graduate at the top of their class."

Mike

FordSVTFan

Established Member
In my resident program we had one person from Grenada and one from Bologna Italy. The guy from Grenada (who graduated top of his class) failed his intern exams and was removed from the program. The guy from Bologna did very well.

Users who are viewing this thread