Any Electrician gurus out there? Appliances are turning themselves on!!!

50 Proof

Established Member
This is really weird, different things around the house keep turning themselves on.

A couple of weekends ago on Saturday afternoon, I was outside working on my Mustang. I went into the house to grab a glass of water and I saw that the blender was running on the highest speed without anything in it. That was odd, I was the only one home. I asked the rest of my family that I live with if that's ever happened to them and they said yes lately it has been. They also said that the waterfall for the swimming pool has turned itself on recently too. Now the latest thing is the garage door. The garage door keeps opening by itself.

There was a whole bunch of construction done on the house maybe a couple of years ago. A second story was added, the whole back yard and swimming pool were completely redone. But we haven't had any problems until recently, just starting this October. We had an electrician come out recently but all he really said was something to the extent of the circuit breaker possibly causing the issues, but didn't really find any issues either. I keep joking with my family that it's the ghost of my grandmother's recent death that is coming back to haunt us, but she died in the hospital, not in our home. Any ideas what could be causing stuff to randomly turn on like this?

Last edited:

Lightningfr

Banned
its practically imposable for something to turn it self on and off and then still work fine every elerical device has another cut off so even if it happen to spike at the outlet that not where the device is controlled from maybe you should lay off the drugs

is the swimming pool on a timer?

garage door can be open by alot of things its a simple rf receiver maybe your controller is broken or something on the street has the same freq as you

Last edited:

50 Proof

Established Member
its practically imposable for something to turn it self on and off and then still work fine every elerical device has another cut off so even if it happen to spike at the outlet that not where the device is controlled from maybe you should lay off the drugs

is the swimming pool on a timer?

garage door can be open by alot of things its a simple rf receiver maybe your controller is broken or something on the street has the same freq as you

Well the blender never turns itself off, only on. When I came into the kitchen, it was running and I had to hit the off button. lol, i've never done drugs ever, so that's not the problem either :lol: Is there anything that could cause an electrical appliance in the kitchen, not on a timer, to turn on by itself?

The waterfall does have a timer that we can set to have come on, but I'm not sure if it has been set recently, I'll check on that. Perhaps the timer is jacked up.

About the garage door, it's very possible that someone down the street could be accidentally controlling our garage door. Last night it opened up by itself sometime between 11pm-midnight. It's rare for people in my neighborhood to be up that late. The street I live on rarely even gets traffic even after 9pm. It is possible someone else's garage door is on the same frequency, but I doubt it.

Last edited:

Lightningfr

Banned
you can change the actually code on your garage door you need to open it up there should be about 7 or 9 little switches its a binary counter pretty much and the remote will that as well... or just change the battery or get a new clicker

idk about the blender maybe you forgot to press the off button and pulled the socket out of the wall but didn't pull it out far enough and it turned back on when you walked away

=04 Cobra Nut=

Crazy Construction Guy
Established Member
The garage door opener might be bad. I had one that went bad once. The slim piece of metal, the one that makes contact when you push the button, cracked and was intermittently making contact when nobody pushed the button. Talk about wierd. The garage door started going up and down repeatedly in the middle of the night! Didn't do it when I was at work because I was nowhere near the house. Only happened after dark, after I got home and the night was getting cooler.

.... door going up at 2am .... grabbing my 9mm and a mag light .... off to investigate in my boxers!!! ... wasn't a sight anybody would want to see! Seriously, take the batteries out of your openers, or if you are savvy enough, open the openers up and examine the mechanism that makes contact when you push the button. I bet you have a bad garage door opener, or your neighbor is having fun with you!

Check out the pool timer. I bet it is off. As far as the blender, only one answer: poltergeist! (grandma!)

Dave

50 Proof

Established Member
There are two garage door openers. I have one and a family member has the other one. I never use mine, it's always in my room. The garage door has opened with the other family member away from home. So if any of the openers are bad it'll probably be mine. I'll check it out tonight, remove the batteries from it too and see if that stops the garage door from opening. If that doesn't work, I'll see about putting the garage door on another frequency. Are there scanners that neighbors can buy to figure out the frequency our garage door is on?

As for the blender, I hope it's not my grandma haha. I'll be out of that house in less than a year anyways :lol1: Anyways, no one in my house turns off any appliances by yanking the cord out of the wall. The blender has an off button and multiple other buttons for controlling the speed of the blender. It's always plugged in all the way and when it's used, it's always turned off using the buttons. When i saw that it had been on, no one had been home for hours. I woke up in the morning, no one was home. I got dressed and went to work on my car, came back into the house multiple times over the course of an hour or so to grab tools. As the afternoon approached, it started getting hotter, so I went in the house to grab water and the blender was on full speed, loud as hell. Scared the crap out of me.

Last edited:

sicfast

Established Member
ive had something similar happen, we use to have a TV that would randomly turn itself on at the highest volume. it wouldnt turn back down nor turn off. the only way to shut it up was to unplug the damn thing. after about a month of this crap we trashed it, and bought a new TV......... no problems since! :beer:

IMO go buy a new blender :shrug:

50 Proof

Established Member
ive had something similar happen, we use to have a TV that would randomly turn itself on at the highest volume. it wouldnt turn back down nor turn off. the only way to shut it up was to unplug the damn thing. after about a month of this crap we trashed it, and bought a new TV......... no problems since! :beer:

IMO go buy a new blender :shrug:

lol yea I think you're right about the blender.

Still though that garage door is bugging me. If I find out it's the neighbors f'ing with me, i'm gonna be pissed.

Mach1threat

OoO
Established Member
At my work we have an adding machine that randomly will turn on and off, and it will go through a whole roll of tape before it stops. I think its a faulty on / off switch. I about 15 years ago my dad had a radio that would turn itself on, and it would play random walkytalky or cb radio frequencies. Used to scare the **** outa me

My car alarm went off 4 times last night, so I had to do the same thing, grab the 40cal and investigate.

Damn electronics!:idea:

sunburned

I miss my torque
Established Member
Get a rabbi or you are screwed.

Oh, and don't let your daughter near the tv...

JiggaStyles09

Established Member
My grandmother was very orthodox jewish. If she is sticking around, it's likely a priest will only piss her off more. :lol1:

to be safe, your mystic might be possessed too, ill be happy to take it off your hands for you :thumbsup:

50 Proof

Established Member
It was, unfortunately there just isn't enough room for 3 cars and this is the one I paid attention to least. With as much as Mystic paint costs, I was too afraid to really do anything with the car.

straightliner1

Established Member
I had a similiar issue with my garage door opener and bought a new one to replace it. After I pulled down the original track, and motor and put in the new on, I tugged on the small gauge wires running back to the push button by the entry door. Turns out one of the staples had cut through the wire insulation and was shorting across the 2 wires - EXACTLY what the button on the wall does. I rearranged the staples and all good 3 years later. :)

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread