Any experiences (good or bad) with the AEM 320LPH fuel pumps

turbov6joe

Defensor Fortis
Established Member
I am looking for any info regarding the new AEM 320LPH fuel pumps that are e85 compliant. I recently ran into issues of not having enough fuel when I switched over to e85. I upgraded the feed line to -8 and the pumps from Gen 1 GT supercar pumps to the new ethanol safe AEM 320 LPH pumps. While on the dyno with the stock feed line and GT pumps in an original Fore hat I was dropping fuel pressure around 5000 rpm....they were working for all their might and just didn't have enough even with the dual FPDM's and BAP running full on. Since going to the -8 feed line with a super high flow Fore fuel filter, I think the AEM pumps should be enough to finalize the tune. However, I've been told then can be a bear to tune, so I'm looking for info/feedback from anyone that's been there, done that, and would care to share their experiences. Some folks say they don't play nice with pulse modulated fuel systems, other say they are not an issue. I called AEM and spoke with a tech guy there and he said this "although we've not actually ran long term durability tests on those pumps, we know that allot of them are in use on returnless systems, and we've not heard about any failures due to being pulse modulated." He then went on to say that they are in the process of building a test bench just for the purpose of testing pulse modulation on their pumps. He said that there are some pumps out there (some of the larger Walbros) that flat out don't work as pulse modulated, but as far as the AEM pumps are concerned, they cannot say that any of theirs are known to be this same way. SO...for anyone looking to go to a larger pump for a returnless e85 system, stay tuned, I'll know this Wednesday if they will support 700+ WHP.

Lstruck03

Man Pedal User
Established Member
we have ran them in a few cars/trucks locally. So far they are pretty impressive. They hold up well and flow plenty.

They really should have no issue making 700 wheel with a bap, even on e85. I believe they will make that much without a bap. However, I too have heard that they are difficult to make work in returnless. That, we have never tried. I was clost to running 3 in my old fore hat and staying returnless until i noticed they are too tall to fit in the tank with the old design hat, so I called FORE and Justin advised me against it.

TRBO VNM

I have had cars running them making over 700 on e85. But they are return fuel systems. I have never bothered trying to get them to work in a returnees setup. Justin told me he has heard some people have had success and others haven't.

cj428mach

Established Member
I have had cars running them making over 700 on e85. But they are return fuel systems. I have never bothered trying to get them to work in a returnees setup. Justin told me he has heard some people have had success and others haven't.

I'm one of his happy customers running them in a return setup. I love the pumps, so far have about 2500 miles on them, with about 1500 miles on them on e85. The car is a TVS and has seen 23psi before with no issues.

If you have a Fore hat I say add a regulator and return line and then don't worry about it anymore.

ctgreddy

Established Member
when it comes to tuning a returnless setup it all comes down to the tuner. I've heard horror stories of people running aeromotive 340's in returnless, we've done 2-3 cars the past year or so that are returnless and the pumps have been great. If you have a good tuner that knows what he's doing then it shouldn't be an issue.

Onto the pumps themselves, I have them currently in a return setup. I had an issue with one fail mid summer. Sent the hat/pumps back to fore they tested the good one, replaced the bad one no charge and Justin said this was the first 320e he's seen fail. I'm confident enough in them that I went back to the same pumps. I'm making 720whp with no bap, 8an feed 6 return and stock rails and they're showing no signs of being at their limit. I suggest these pumps a lot to people switching to e85.

turbov6joe

Defensor Fortis
Established Member
we have ran them in a few cars/trucks locally. So far they are pretty impressive. They hold up well and flow plenty.

They really should have no issue making 700 wheel with a bap, even on e85. I believe they will make that much without a bap. However, I too have heard that they are difficult to make work in returnless. That, we have never tried. I was clost to running 3 in my old fore hat and staying returnless until i noticed they are too tall to fit in the tank with the old design hat, so I called FORE and Justin advised me against it.

I had to make some modifications to make them fit correctly in the old style Fore hat I have. Basically I had to cut down two barb fittings that the hoses connect to, and trim the hoses down as well....fit like a glove now.

turbov6joe

Defensor Fortis
Established Member
when it comes to tuning a returnless setup it all comes down to the tuner. I've heard horror stories of people running aeromotive 340's in returnless, we've done 2-3 cars the past year or so that are returnless and the pumps have been great. If you have a good tuner that knows what he's doing then it shouldn't be an issue.

Onto the pumps themselves, I have them currently in a return setup. I had an issue with one fail mid summer. Sent the hat/pumps back to fore they tested the good one, replaced the bad one no charge and Justin said this was the first 320e he's seen fail. I'm confident enough in them that I went back to the same pumps. I'm making 720whp with no bap, 8an feed 6 return and stock rails and they're showing no signs of being at their limit. I suggest these pumps a lot to people switching to e85.

What regulator did you go with? Mind sending me a few pics of how you have it plumbed in?? How did you wire up the pumps??? My email is: [email protected]

turbov6joe

Defensor Fortis
Established Member
I'm one of his happy customers running them in a return setup. I love the pumps, so far have about 2500 miles on them, with about 1500 miles on them on e85. The car is a TVS and has seen 23psi before with no issues.

If you have a Fore hat I say add a regulator and return line and then don't worry about it anymore.

Where in Kansas are you located?

ctgreddy

Established Member
What regulator did you go with? Mind sending me a few pics of how you have it plumbed in?? How did you wire up the pumps??? My email is: [email protected]

Here's the only real pic I have of the regulator/lines. I'm gonna head out to the garage later this week I can send you some better pictures if you'd like. Essentially I have 8 from the hat to filter which is in my fender well, then 8 to one side of the regulator. 8 out the other side of the regulator to my factory rail inlet. and on the bottom of the regulator is my return which is 6. I'm using a fore f2i. Seems to work good only issue with it/the setup is I can hear fuel noise from something, I'm assuming it's how it's set up dead head style but not a big issue it's something I can only hear with windows down, radio off and at an idle. The pumps are quiet also.

1_zpsrkhfoayh.jpg

cj428mach

Established Member
Here's the only real pic I have of the regulator/lines. I'm gonna head out to the garage later this week I can send you some better pictures if you'd like. Essentially I have 8 from the hat to filter which is in my fender well, then 8 to one side of the regulator. 8 out the other side of the regulator to my factory rail inlet. and on the bottom of the regulator is my return which is 6. I'm using a fore f2i. Seems to work good only issue with it/the setup is I can hear fuel noise from something, I'm assuming it's how it's set up dead head style but not a big issue it's something I can only hear with windows down, radio off and at an idle. The pumps are quiet also.

1_zpsrkhfoayh.jpg

Are you missing a blower to lower intake bolt or two?

turbov6joe

Defensor Fortis
Established Member
Well...what started off as a rough start to my dyno session turned out to be okay after all. Despite having issues with the PCM and SCT software playing nicely together, we finalized the tune with the new pumps and feed line. In the end it made 632hp/622 lb-ft @ 18.6 psi of boost and 25º of total timing. These pulls were made on a loaded dyno which tend to be stingy with the numbers...they are more in line with a Mustang dyno. The best news was that the fuel pump's duty cycle is below 50% at redline. The rumors of these pumps being hard to tune was not true in my case.

Brutal Metal

Established Member
In the other thread some guys said the AEM 320's don't fit in the older Fore Hat, OP what do you say about this?
Any modifications to make them fit?

turbov6joe

Defensor Fortis
Established Member
In the other thread some guys said the AEM 320's don't fit in the older Fore Hat, OP what do you say about this?

Yes it's true, they don't fit as is. I had to cut the barb ends down almost 1/2 their original length, as well as clip down the rubber hose to have just enough length to couple the two and have room for the clamps to secure them. Then I had to double the hat gasket for some additional room....other than that they fit great ;) Honestly though, it wasn't near as much work as it sounds. I used a hand saw to cut the barbs, my grinding wheel to smooth down the edges, the brush side of the wheel to finish them off. I spent more time cutting hose to make it fit just right then anything. It too several attempts at putting the hat back in the tank to see if the length was right, but otherwise it was cut and dry. One other thing I didn't mention was that the pumps are too large in diameter to fit in the piece of the hanger that holds them securely. To fix that I stuck it into a Bridgeport and bored the holes out about .075"....this gave me about .005" extra wiggle room in case I want to use an even larger pump in the future. I drilled in a set screw into each side to secure the pumps even more because of the extra space. The hoses do a fine job in holding them in place, I just wanted some extra "hold" because that's the way I roll. All said and done I didn't have too many road blocks in making them work. I will say this about the pumps, they really do flow a ton of fuel compared to the GT Supercar pumps. The dyno session before this most recent one was the breaking point for me to have to upgrade the pumps. I was at 100% duty cycle around 5k rpm and leaning out. As stated before, I never saw 50% duty cycle on any of the 13 or more hits I made on the dyno Wednesday. In fact, my 80's are at 86% duty cycle, so going up to a larger injector will be the next fuel related move I make. I was bound and determined to make 700 rwhp on the returnless system, and I did it. Today was the first time I got to actually drive the car on the road since getting the tune done. I am here to tell ya, the car is a complete ANIMAL! I made several 3rd gear 30-130 mph hits....the car squats so hard in the back and just pulls like mad!! I freaking love the VMP blower so much more than my Whipple car....this blower does NOT fall off on boost! I literally stared at 18.9 psi, and ended the pulls at 18.6 psi....that's bad ass IMO. My Whipple would drop off a couple of PSI every time, and the power delivery was not near as smooth. my torque graph is SO damn flat from 3100-5400 RPM you could shoot pool on it. I was making over 600 lb-ft of torque from 3050 rpm to 5300....got love them that diesel like twist.

ctgreddy

Established Member
Are you missing a blower to lower intake bolt or two?

no some are countersunk so you cant really see them. They're all there.

OP happy you had good luck with them! Numbers seem low but on a loaded dyno I can believe it. Seems like a looooot of timing but if it works, all well.

Bdubbs

u even lift bro?
Established Member
Premium Member

This is correct, I had to purchase a new hat for the 320e pumps.

Users who are viewing this thread