Any Ford salesmen in here?

x_man586

Going to UTI
Established Member
I got a shot at getting a job at the local dealership. I talked to the General Manager this morning and it seemed to go well. I have never sold cars before, but I have been told I would be a natural. I know the economy isn't all that great and most new salesmen don't make it, but I am going to give it a shot. I won't starve if it doesn't work out. Any suggestions hints words of advice? Thanks.

virginiafiveo

L8RBTCH
Established Member
don't lie to the customer. and shut up and listen to them. ask them what they are looking for. and what they need. not what you think would work for them. I personally don't want a salesmans opinion when I buy things. just work for the customer and you'll be fine.

x_man586

Going to UTI
Established Member
I used to work in the oilfield, but I had a bad wreck a year ago. I went back to work in April and tried to do my old job. 2 weeks ago I finally faced facts and realized I couldn't do that kind of work anymore. My company didn't have anything else for me to do so I quit. I have been looking for a job off and on for a while and was looking at the new Mustangs this morning when I decided to talk to the service manager to see if they needed any help. I have worked a parts counter before, and I have worked on cars, aircraft, tractor/trailers, and oilfield equipment. He said no, but they desperately needed salesmen.

firemanmike

FIREMANMIKE
Established Member
I used to work in the oilfield, but I had a bad wreck a year ago. I went back to work in April and tried to do my old job. 2 weeks ago I finally faced facts and realized I couldn't do that kind of work anymore. My company didn't have anything else for me to do so I quit. I have been looking for a job off and on for a while and was looking at the new Mustangs this morning when I decided to talk to the service manager to see if they needed any help. I have worked a parts counter before, and I have worked on cars, aircraft, tractor/trailers, and oilfield equipment. He said no, but they desperately needed salesmen.

First, whatever you do, best of luck to you. In this environment, with cash for clunkers over now, its going to be real tough to sell big ticket items, cars included. Its also a rough (often cut throat amongst those you work with; coming from someone that was a firefighter in one of the busiest firehouses here. You look out for each other. Not so in a sales position). If you're going to do it you need to set sales goals and see if you meet them. If not theres no shame in moving on to something else. :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

SpectorV

Established Member
dont lie, cheat, annoy, etc people into buying a car.... that basically means you wont make it vs those that do :(

f8tlbite

fordplay equals fordgasms
Established Member
Knowing your product and befriending the customer will be the key to success. I have been selling for six years and I have never lied to a customer to sell a car. If you listen to me, you will be just fine!

x_man586

Going to UTI
Established Member
Growing up all of my friends and family always told me I would be a good salesman because I was a nice guy and always did as much as I could for someone. I hate being rude to anyone. I don't think I will have a problem being nice to a customer, I just don't know how the other salesmen treat their customers. If everyone else thrives on getting as much out of a customer as they can I don't know how the management will look at me.

slow_99cobra

Established Member
o and dont piss off the parts dept, we can make your life hell.
I'm a salesman at a ford dealer. and he is right piss off parts and u are screwed. TRUST ME!!! One of the other sales man did and he cant even get gas slips for his customers when he sells a car. We all have to sneak him one or he has to pay it outta his own pocket. The parts people are GODS!!! MY best advice take it one customer at a time. If you have some one thats real wishy washy sometimes you have to give em a push or tehy wont buy when they really want to. And some people you have to slow down because the move to fast. Just feel out the customer thats the best only way ot handle it and make it. And buddy up with a experienced sales man, that will make life alot easier. Good Luck

Users who are viewing this thread