Any gain swapping to a bigger mass air meter? (Not another calibration ?)

fromme

Mustang Addict
Established Member
This question isn't about which meter etc, I've searched and read up on that and what I need to do. The question I have is does anyone have information on whether going to say a 75mm PMAS meter would have any performance gain? I'm mostly stock, except for the custom cam and full exhaust. I realize the stock unit is 70mm, but since it has that sample tube in the whole middle of the unit, I doubt it flows much more than the HO 58mm unit. Just kind of throwing around the idea of getting one, but only if it would get me anything. I made decent power before the cam swap (254 hp, 300 tq) and am going back to the dyno sometime soon for another run and custom tune. I figured if I do get a meter, I'd rather have it before then, don't want to go back.

LEE93COBRA

broke
Established Member
You can do like I did, cut the post out of your stock meter to free up some airflow. I ran my MAF like for about 5-6 years with no problems what so ever

93Cobra#2771

SVT God
Established Member
You DEFINITELY want the meter before the tune, if you are going to step up on the meter now.

At your power level, a bigger meter won't make much difference. And if you plan on further mods in the future, I'd wait until you do the mods before stepping up on the meter.

The OEM MAF's are the most accurate meters out there, so I'd prob stick with what you have for now...

SVT Fun

Established Member
fromme said:
This question isn't about which meter etc, I've searched and read up on that and what I need to do. The question I have is does anyone have information on whether going to say a 75mm PMAS meter would have any performance gain? I'm mostly stock, except for the custom cam and full exhaust. I realize the stock unit is 70mm, but since it has that sample tube in the whole middle of the unit, I doubt it flows much more than the HO 58mm unit. Just kind of throwing around the idea of getting one, but only if it would get me anything. I made decent power before the cam swap (254 hp, 300 tq) and am going back to the dyno sometime soon for another run and custom tune. I figured if I do get a meter, I'd rather have it before then, don't want to go back.

Will be a gain in horsepower...How much??? Without the exploitation of a dyno to be exact, who knows? Approximately 5 more HP sounds about right, give or take 1 or 2 horsepower.

So far as the standard 58mm unit is concerned. Dyno tests have determined a ported 58mm unit flows with the heavily restricted 70mm unit. Also, measure the unit at its ends. It's a good size meter. BUT that bar in the middle of it ?!?!?!? Sometimes Ford just leaves ya scratching your head.

93Cobra#2771

SVT God
Established Member
The bar was there to decrease the chances of backflow/intake reversion making it into the sensing elements (makes for crappy drivability/inconsistant metering)...

fromme

Mustang Addict
Established Member
Thanks guys. I thought about cutting the post out, I did it on a 99 SHO I had before. It worked ok, but it made it run lean obviously. The last dyno session I had, I was running lean already, plus with the cam install I did, it took a lot of work and one of those IAC adjuster thingys to get it to idle right again. So I don't think I'll be cutting the post out without having it recalibrated.
But my question was answered, I'll wait on the meter for now. Actually I have no plans for anything else right now anyway. If it was a bad restriction that I might get 10 hp from, then I'd do it. But for 5 or less, not worth it yet.

Users who are viewing this thread