Any Great Local Machine Shops Around?

saleen09

Slow A$$ Kenne Bell Cobra
Established Member
Joey, can't have your cake and eat it too. If you want to build the motor with boost in mind, you'll have to take a hit N/A wise until you get the turbo/SC on.

Just being realistic, I would build the motor for a nice N/A power level, with a small shot of the giggle in case you get bored. From where your at, a nice H/C/I stroker will be a nice power level. Put the compression at say 9.0-9.5:1 so that you can still run 6-9 pounds of boost down the road.....

One thing that sucks about the FRPP stuff is most of it doesn't have forged internals. Otherwise, they're a great option IMHO.

Joey, I REALLY think you can re ring/bearing that shortblock (with some minimal machine work), do a nice set of REASONABLE H/C/I and add a supercharger/NOS for your 5K budget. you'll be in the 420-480WHP range which is NOT shabby.....

Last edited:

Joe5.0

Established Member
Will,

Really Likeing the H/C/I/ 331 stroker idea With Gears and some new full exhaust. Id like a 6500rpm shift to if possible. The goal really is 500hp to be honest. Somewhere in the 12's or 11's.I have about 5-6K in the savings account ready to be spent. I think I am gonna get the full motor,heads,cam, manifold etc going, and then wait off a month until i ave the $$ for an Strim. I just like the idea of having boost whenever i need it. Ya know. I just needs some opinions really on what H/C/I combo.

Im Pumped :)

Last edited:

saleen09

Established Member
Joe5.0 said:
Will,

Really Likeing the H/C/I/ 331 stroker idea With Gears and some new full exhaust. Id like a 6500rpm shift to if possible. The goal really is 500hp to be honest. Somewhere in the 12's or 11's.I have about 5-6K in the savings account ready to be spent. I think I am gonna get the full motor,heads,cam, manifold etc going, and then wait off a month until i ave the $$ for an Strim. I just like the idea of having boost whenever i need it. Ya know. I just needs some opinions really on what H/C/I combo.

Im Pumped :)

Joey,

Your gonna hate me for saying this but alot of your E.T. depends on what's between the steering wheel and the seat...... Just keep that in mind.

You REALLY can't go wrong with the edelbrock performer package H/C/I. I know several people DEEP in the 11's ( 2 in the 10's) with that package on a stock shortblock and a little boost from a S-trim..... The holley systemax is a nice proven combo as well.

Have you thought how how long that t-5 of yours ISNT going to last at those power levels. Alot of that depends on driving style as well though.......

Shangsta

Phat back
Established Member
if your goal is to get in the low 12's high elevens you dont need boost. A 331 will get you there and beyond. I think you need to just sit down with a pen and paper and decide where you want to go with the car. Do you want it to be a strip car or twisties, or a little of both. Then once you decide that you start with the motor setup. If you plan on open tracking ill recomend staying n/a, way less headaches down the road.

352Ford

I make my own
Established Member
man if you are only looking for 11-12's you don't need to much that's fancy or expensive, just built right. Plenty of guys running 302's with BASIC HCI (as in cast iron E7's and gt-40's basic) going 12's NA and spraying into the 11's.

Check out thumpers stuff, it will get you there, the only downside is not much room to improve on.

how bad is your current motor? what do you think your chances are of being able to re-ring and re-bearing the shortblock you have?

04MystiCobra

Tuning L&M heart
Established Member
+1
Really sit down and map out what you want. Its changed several times just in this thread. Hard to help ya when you do this. Hopefully you've gotten some ideas from this thread at least. You can do allot on a stock block. Believe me!

Joe5.0

Established Member
352Ford said:
man if you are only looking for 11-12's you don't need to much that's fancy or expensive, just built right. Plenty of guys running 302's with BASIC HCI (as in cast iron E7's and gt-40's basic) going 12's NA and spraying into the 11's.

Check out thumpers stuff, it will get you there, the only downside is not much room to improve on.

how bad is your current motor? what do you think your chances are of being able to re-ring and re-bearing the shortblock you have?

It can be Re-ringed and New Bearings no problem.....

Snowboarda42

PMS Damage Control Tech
Established Member
Joe, Here's some input for ya:

ADPerformance gets their engines built by bliss, and he has a way of getting his motors in and out pretty quick. He also gets you a great deal on them. Anthony has a 331 Dart stoked coupe that Brian (is ADPerformance) got him. It took about 3 Months from Payment to getting the block.

If you want it faster than that, and still have Perfectionist work, go to Action and talk to Rob. Just be warey that he's NOT a people person. BUT, he never skimps out. Trust me, I used to work there and saw some of the stuff that came in and out.

Be ware the the stock block (no matter what's done to it) will crack at 500-550, most depending on the tune's level of aggression.

As for turbo, look into these kits:

www.quicktimeturbosystems.com
http://www.corral.net/forums/showthread.php?t=860447
http://www.svtperformance.com/forums/showthread.php?t=404485

The guys that build them raise the bar for turbo kits and customer service. This guy is one of the nicest people you'll meet, and his customer service is amazing. He responds to email same day, and apologizes greatly if it takes more than a day. I've heard nothing bad about any turbo kits he sells, everything is handmade, no modifications, etc. and the price is perfect too. Kit comes with everything but 255LPH pump, 42# Injectors, and a Tune (although he can have a chip made for you). I would definitely look into them. I read all 16 pages of that corral.net thread. The kit keeps your a/c, gets rid of smog, and is under $3K.

Hope this helps.
-Elliott

Last edited:

Joe5.0

Established Member
Elliot thanks for the links. I have actually been looking at Newts kits for a few months now. Feed back does indeed look great. I emailed him a few mmonths back with questions and he had some great and quick answers for me. 2995$ is a DAM good deal, especially when the quality and customer service already seems to be there as well.

Thanks again i will keep you posted. Still Trying to figure out the budget on a Motor. That 03/04 cobra motor would be insane!

Snowboarda42

PMS Damage Control Tech
Established Member
Joe,

I also remembered a buddy of mine in Seattle is selling Ati Procharger P1SC. Comes w/ P1SC with 80MILES since rebuild, brackets, 12rib setup, 15# Pulley, 8 Rib Setup w/11# and 5# pulley, 2 Belts, Anderson Power Pipe W/K&N Filter, all 4-ply Silicon Connectors, All t-bolt clamps, Bigger Intercooler (largest able to fit on mustang), Bosch BOV, 2 Bottles of ProCharger oil, Boost-a-Pump, a few other things too, and he has a TiAL BOV that he will throw in for a little more. He's asking $3,500 OBO. Kit went for ~$4600 I think.

Snowboarda42

PMS Damage Control Tech
Established Member
Yeah, I was just around the corner from your house. I didn't see your car there and thought you weren't home. Otherwise I woulda honked or knocked or something.:burnout:

Last edited:

Joe5.0

Established Member
Ha yea i was home, Saw you druve bye and everything. Car is up in Darrington currently. Next time:burnout:

:thumbsup:

Joe5.0

Established Member
I cant decide on rebiulding the stocker, Or going fox lake or keith craft route. If i can Bore, Piston, Re-ring and bearing the stocker for under 1500$ then i will do that. But if its more then i should just go the Keith Craft or Fox Lake Route.

saleen09

Established Member
**TAPS ON MONITOR GLASS**

This thing on? Joey, I've called, emailed, and pm'd with no response. You still alive?

harsh5.0gt

Established Member
saleen09 said:
Joey, I know we've had a couple of long conversations about this.

I REALLY think a solid, budget orientated 331/347 with decent H/C/I will make you very happy. The cost/labor/upkeep of a turbo kit doesn't strike me as something you'd be happy with. I"ve been there.....

If you really want some fun on a budget, add a 150 shot of the giggle to the above combo. 525+WHP at the push of a button.

Do you really have 10K plus to sink into the car? I was thinking more in the 5K range......

i'm saving my checks for the above mentioned set-up

Users who are viewing this thread