Any GT performance mods out there???

lthlvpr

Established Member
I have heard that Ford will offer some performance parts for the GT, but I have seen nothing yet. One would think that pulley upgrades, filters, exhaust, throttle bodies, and other goodies would be available by now.

Does anyone know where you can purchase any goodies like this? I would like to be able to get a solid 600rwhp out of the car on 91 Octane. This should be attainable without losing longevity or reliability.

Thx

Fourcam330

Established Member
ATI will also be able to make pulleys, you can source a different belt just about anywhere.
600rwhp is cake btw.

barondw

Established Member
Fourcam330 said:
ATI will also be able to make pulleys, you can source a different belt just about anywhere.
600rwhp is cake btw.

The normal production GT produces 550 +/- rwhp. The smaller pulley will add between 25-35 HP. You will still be short of 600rwhp. That requires a bigger supercharger (not yet ready to be released), re-flashing the computer, and/or gutting the cats. The cats are the biggest choke point for producing more torque and horsepower. However cats are extremely expensive and there is just 1 set in the Ford parts pipeline in the United States.

There is concern over which supercharger option to release because of potential internal changes to the engine to handle the power increase.

Fourcam330

Established Member
barondw said:
The normal production GT produces 550 +/- rwhp. The smaller pulley will add between 25-35 HP. You will still be short of 600rwhp. That requires a bigger supercharger (not yet ready to be released), re-flashing the computer, and/or gutting the cats. The cats are the biggest choke point for producing more torque and horsepower. However cats are extremely expensive and there is just 1 set in the Ford parts pipeline in the United States.

There is concern over which supercharger option to release because of potential internal changes to the engine to handle the power increase.

LOL, what diameter pulley are you talking about? You do realize a that you can repulley anything to any amount of boost? If it were me I would contact ATI for a custom crank damper and pulley. I've seen 2.2L twin screw blowers on 660 rwhp 4.6 03/04 Cobras (meaning the limiting factor is not the blower).
GTs come with ~11.5psi stock, you can run 15-17psi on 93/94 octane and a good tune. The OEM GT motor will make ~25rwhp per psi of boost added and well over 600rwhp.
The OEM Mahle pistons appear to be quality pieces so far, though they can't hold a candle to custom CPs, only time will tell if they hold up better than the 03/04 Cobra Zolner's (skirts that collapse with @ 550rw+ and shitty teflon coatings). The 4340 H beam rods (assuming Ford used 7/16" ARP 2000 rod bolts) will take 750HP and 6500rpm all day long.
Though if starting from scratch it would be smart to use the aforementioned custom CPs, and Oliver/Carillo (as used on the '00R) billets instead; they are 1400HP+/8000rpm+ rods with a thicker neck section than the Manley Ultralight billet I beams, and are consequently a tad heavier and a little stronger--obviously much stronger than 4340 H beams. The stock forged crank is good to 1400HP at not over 7500rpm, at which point the 5.4L cranks lack of a center counterweight will cause balance issues.
If you have the $ to buy a GT (obviously you do), why not have a complete custom SS/Ti exhaust fabbed up? I can recommend a few people who perform amazing work--you'll never see a nicer exhaust with regard to fit and finish, appearance, and performance than a custom setup. Also, cats kill performance on 600HP+ cars. I would recommend removing them completely (You would need to reflash after a pulley/exhaust swap anyway so it's NP) or if you're a greenie, check out metallic substrate cats. They're not cheap, but flow incredibly well.
Don't take this the wrong way, but If you own a GT and are considering modifying it, but haven't toyed with a Modular V8 yet do yourself a favor and do some reading in Mustang tech forums. We have a bit of a head start on you; there's really no sense in trying to reinvent the wheel when we already know what works and what doesn't. :beer:

Andy

Last edited:

barondw

Established Member
If you speak to the people who built the engine, as a GT owner you are provided certain information. I have tried to steer another owner in the right direction with 100% factual information pertaining to this vehicle, not general data. The information I have provided comes directly from the horses mouth. If you feel you know more or better than those who built the engine good luck to you. But I will go with those that have actual first hand knowledge.

The car is not a glorified hot rod and does not need headers, etc. Its these type of posts that turn owners off. Too bad the list isn't like the Porsche list which requires a special ID# to post, view, and respond. While it doesn't eliminate all silliness if helps tremendously. Believe me the owners aren't that ignorant or unaware of what is going-on.
:beer:

roushraven

zzzZZzz
Established Member
barondw said:
If you speak to the people who built the engine, as a GT owner you are provided certain information. I have tried to steer another owner in the right direction with 100% factual information pertaining to this vehicle, not general data. The information I have provided comes directly from the horses mouth. If you feel you know more or better than those who built the engine good luck to you. But I will go with those that have actual first hand knowledge.

The car is not a glorified hot rod and does not need headers, etc. Its these type of posts that turn owners off. Too bad the list isn't like the Porsche list which requires a special ID# to post, view, and respond. While it doesn't eliminate all silliness if helps tremendously. Believe me the owners aren't that ignorant or unaware of what is going-on.

Thank you for your posts and owner feedback. I really do appreciate it when someone gives personal knowledge/experience rather than hypotheticals and conjecture.

By the way, have you talked with Roush Engineering?

barondw

Established Member
By the way, have you talked with Roush Engineering?[/QUOTE]

Yes all the time. They built the engines of the test mules and production vehicles. Saleen just installs the engines in the chassis. They are the best and in my opinion the only source of legitimate information at this point in time.

While others have ideas, they don't like it when I say by your own and do what you would like. And when the warranty is voided pay for the repairs out of your own pocket. Items purchased through Motorsport are covered by the warranty.

roushraven

zzzZZzz
Established Member
barondw said:
Yes all the time. They built the engines of the test mules and production vehicles. Saleen just installs the engines in the chassis. They are the best and in my opinion the only source of legitimate information at this point in time.

Yeah I know about the manufacturer relationship, what's sad is that so few SVT enthusiasts know the extent of Roush development/engineering in the GT or other SVT vehicles for that matter. I asked because if you hadn't spoken to them yet I was going to suggest that you do.

barondw said:
While others have ideas, they don't like it when I say by your own and do what you would like. And when the warranty is voided pay for the repairs out of your own pocket. Items purchased through Motorsport are covered by the warranty.

True, and that same crowd also has no realistic idea of what it takes to make a combination reliable and streetable and are primarily interested in numbers to stroke each other's "crank" and brag about.

Anyway, I hope you'll stick around, I'd love to learn more of your driver/owner experiences. At current market prices I am out of the game for the GT unless I settle for one car in my stable. However, if (and that's a very big if) prices come down to MSRP I'll be able to play.

satx

Banned
barondw said:
The information I have provided comes directly from the horses mouth. If you feel you know more or better than those who built the engine good luck to you. But I will go with those that have actual first hand knowledge.

I'm wondering if your post was directed at fourcam?

the engine in the GT is a 5.4 MOD motor. It is great that you have contacts at Roush, but I guarentee you that having a conversation with an engine builder does not make your opinion more valid than the thousands of guys who build and race with this engine currently. That is all.

Big 8

Established Member
roushraven said:
Yeah I know about the manufacturer relationship, what's sad is that so few SVT enthusiasts know the extent of Roush development/engineering in the GT or other SVT vehicles for that matter. I asked because if you hadn't spoken to them yet I was going to suggest that you do.

Sad? Go post a poll in another forum. 95% of SVT enthusiast know of the Roush Connection. Hell its in every SVT enthusiats magazine printed and on the SVT website and well know at SVTOA? :shrug:

While I am not trying to stir the pot here, as the poster above said. There is a lot of knowledge on this site and thats the reason for forums in the first place. To exchange ideas! While the FORD GT may be considered exotic, there is nothing exotic about a 5.4l modular motor, or a twin screw blower! These are common place amongst the Mustang and Ford community. ROUSH isnt anything new either. While they may endo the owners of a FORD GT with special knowledge one would be wise to pay attention to many of the guys here.

While I agree there is a lot of hype and conjecture there is also a lot of smart and knowledgable people. :pop:

venom279

Established Member
barondw said:

Well, if you believe that you are only going to get 25-35 extra horses from a pulley, then you ARE unaware of what's up....

You have been acting all high and mighty since you came here....Just because someone doesn't own a GT40, doesn't mean that they aren't knowledgable about what they are talking about....

You act like a twin-screw forced induction mod motor is some new concept..Uhh, you might want to ask all the 03/04 Cobra guys that are running whipple's and Kenne Bells for some info..

Why don't you try and read and learn for a while, instead of belittling people...You sound like gd upidy porsche owner who converted to the dark side.... :uh oh:

good day

barondw

Established Member
Venom your handle is appropriate for some one who displays an attitude because you and others have "knowledge". Everyone has knowledge and some more than others. Some of the alleged knowledge isn't even reliable or factual just an opinion..

I am content with handling things my way for my car and don't believe others should blindly follow my beliefs and ideas. Not everyone has the resources to do so.

For those who suggested things in a positive way thank you. Those who have not made positive cuggestions, that's your problem not mine. Those who don't have a car can continue to try to tell others they know more.

For those that don't like my attitude look at yours before attacking others. You can build your own car your own way. If you make more power, great. All that I tried to do was post real info and some of you folks don't like that.
That's fine. This is list is somewhat worse than most lists that let anyone post.

Big 8

Established Member
:nonono: No guy all you did was get uppity! Just like this post! Hey well you own a Ford GT BFD and good for you! You know what else you look like an ass hat because all you can do is say you post factual information when you dont! One set of cats? You obviously dont know a thing about exhausts? Parts from motorsport are covered? Ford hasnt had a motorsports department since the seventies! Its called FRPP ad they dont cover a thing! Maybe that will change for the GT but I wouldnt hold your breath for parts!

you talked to a guy at Roush! Your a hero! Like I said your engine is a 5.4 modular. BFD we have seen it before. Normally aspirated, supercharged, eatons, twin screws, Vortechs etc. Your heads your cams etc its all pretty much here. Oh but wait because they didnt pay 200K their opinion isnt factual???

Well here is the deal. There will be people who will be running around all day long in GT's with 600WHP and you, you will have ROUSH's phone number on your speed dial!

You bought a car with a Blue Oval, that comes with the blue collar crowd! Maybe you should take it back if prancing is your thing!

Last edited:

Fourcam330

Established Member
barondw said:

ROFL, you are an ass beyond imagination. I can take you to school 8 days a week about the motor in your car, when you come back to earth let me know and we'll start 5.4 101.

Last edited:

Fourcam330

Established Member
roushraven said:
Thank you for your posts and owner feedback. I really do appreciate it when someone gives personal knowledge/experience rather than hypotheticals and conjecture.

By the way, have you talked with Roush Engineering?

I'm ****ing dying over here!!! ROFL :lol:

Users who are viewing this thread