Any handhelds that will program out IRMC plates?

Chuckieduck

Established Member
Hello again all. I posted couple weeks ago about my IMRC cables being bad so I'm going to go ahead and install deletes. Does anyone know if there is a handheld that will allow you to program out the deletes? Also, does anything special have to happen in the program that changes the timing? Heard on previous post that timing is worked in from the factory as the plates work. Don't know much at this point since I'm mostly a pushrod guy and these modulars are Greek to me.

mwolson

Gray beard
Established Member
The PCM does add timing when the IMRCs are open. If the PCM thinks they are not open, it will not add the spark advance and you will lose a lot of high end power.

SCT's X3 handheld will do it, but you need to get a tune from a dealer with it. You could do an email tune, but a custom tune would be better. With a custom tune you probably won't even notice the IMRCs are gone at the low end.

But if you don't want to go this route, you can install a relay circuit that fools the PCM into thinking the IMRCs are still there so it adds the timing up top back in.

Here's a writeup I did on how to make the IMRC eliminator relay circuit: http://www.classictiger.com/mustang/UnderTheHood/IMRCDeleteRelayCircuit/IMRCDeleteRelayCircuit.htm

Datswhatshesaid

Established Member
if i have my imrcs tied open. does that mean that since they're still in the car the timing is still right up top. i can tell its lacking down low but with 4.10s its not too bad. i plan on getting a tune soon and deleting them but just can afford to right now. will it hurt anything to b driving it with them tied open. from my searching i couldnt find a good answer and u seem to know the most about the inner working of the imrc

mwolson

Gray beard
Established Member
It won't hurt anything to drive with them open. If you read your codes, you should see an IMRC stuck open code.

To be honest with you, I don't know if the PCM adds the spark up top with the IMRCs tied open. It might since the PCM reads that the IMRCs are open. If it reads they are stuck closed, it definitely does not add the IMRC spark advance. You'd really need to datalog to know what is happening to spark with your setup.

Datswhatshesaid

Established Member
ok it shows codes for them open. it seems to run fine and if u take the rpms up slow from 2500 up u can feel it and hear it change at 3200 or so id say it does have it. im hoping to have it tuned fairly soon tho. thanks for the answer

mwolson

Gray beard
Established Member
When you have it tuned, have them datalog the Spark source and spark advance for a quick WOT run before they do the IMRC delete if you can. I'd appreciate knowing for sure. But if it's too hard, don't bother.

It does sound like you didn't lose your spark advance...

Users who are viewing this thread