Any Ideas to help raise money for a Funeral

LS1-Larry

Established Member
One of my best friends just lost his younger brother this past Monday 6/23
who was also a friend of mine. The guy was about to turn 18 on July 2nd.
He was a pretty good kid who like most of us at that age wanted to grow up faster than we need to and found him self with a few month old baby girl. He his daughter and girlfriend had just moved in with his older brother and his new wife since they had just purchased a new home and had the room. So they figured they would help him and his young family out until they were able to get on there feet. But this past monday he came home from work sat with his older brother for a few minutes then said he was gonna go shower up.......a few minutes later my buddy found his 17yr old brother unconsiouse pulsless and not breathing on the bathroom floor his heart had suddenly stoped his brother did what he could to try and revive him until EMS personel arrived and took over from what I gather he didnt make it alive to the hospital and was lost at the young age of 17 just one week and one day shy of his 18th birthday. As some of you may know funerals even a cheap one can become very expensive. The family was a working class family and are doing what they can to come up with the thus far eight thousand dollars needed to give this kid a proper burial. My friend(the older brother) is a newlywed himself and just purchased a new home with his wife so as you can imagine his budget is stretched to the limit as it is and because he is the older sibling and because the parents were barely making as it is......he has had to assume a lot of the financial burden. Dont get me wrong people have been generous and contributions have been made but eight thousand dollars is quite a bit of money to come up with in 2 days for just about anyone.My freind and his family have had to come up with money they dont have and will be in a financial bind even after this friday when the funeral is done. So I was trying to think of ideas to help raise money for funeral expenses and to help them recover the money they are using to pay for this that they cant afford to part with any ideas would be appreciated.
Keep in mind BBQ fundraisers usually take money to have and are kind of a coin toss as to wether or not you will make a profit after expenses for the food ect.
Also a lot of kids he went to school with have already taken action and made a car wash to help rasie money.
I was thinking more along the lines of like a benifit car show here localy in Houston to help raise money.........its a great excuse to get cars together and have fun and for a great cause!
If any local guys /gals think they would be up for this maybe chime in on what it would take and ideas of how to make it happen!
Keep in mind he also left behing a few month old daughter so any thing over funeral cost could be set up in a trust fund for his daughter!

Thanks for reading and thanks in advance for any help or advice!
Johny

Last edited:

slider701

Established Member
How about putting together a real nice professional letter or e-mail, short and to the point, with proper grammar and so it is easy to read and send it to some of the local high profile athletes and team owners in the area asking for any help they can spare. You may be surprised who may quietly reach out to you. At one point I was able to find Mark Cuban's e-mail by doing some web searching. Search for team owners, players, and owners/CEO's of major corporations.........all of which can be usually found through company web sites and corporate filings on their web site. Tell them in your note that as little as $500 would help a lot..........most of these guys drop that in a tip at the bar or restaurant on a Saturday night. If you send out requests to 50 people and get 10% response that is five people willing to help........at $500 each it would be $2500

Just make sure you have something set up through a local bank to help with the collection of the funds.

LS1-Larry

Established Member
Thanks for the response that sounds like a good idea. I was just in a hurry in the above post and wanted to explain as best I could so spelling and grammar werent a priority!
John

1996stang

Established Member
That's horrible man I have been through situations like that. We lost our daughter and the funeral home actually donated the casket.Only thing we had to pay for was the guest book and the flower's. Talk to some of the funeral home's around the area.

LS1-Larry

Established Member
That's horrible man I have been through situations like that. We lost our daughter and the funeral home actually donated the casket.Only thing we had to pay for was the guest book and the flower's. Talk to some of the funeral home's around the area.
Sorry for your loss.........regardless of how long it has been I am sure that is a terrible loss.
The family was able to pay for the funeral........lots of other friends and family pitched in however some people like my buddy whom it was his brother who passed and theyre sister had to use money that was ment for other things........school/taxes ect.
And he left behing a daughter so we figured anything over the funeral expenses could go to his daughter.

Thanks for the response,John

Users who are viewing this thread