any insight appreciated

95 thunder

Established Member
tried this over nloc also and looking for a little help and i know this has been beaten on alot somewhat...

hey guys, i have spent the last hour or more reading (search) and have learned alot, but have mixed feelings for sure and still kinda of confused like a fart in the wind...deal is, looking at a 00 lightning to purchase(i have a gen1), nice shape/good price, however, i am no big mechanic type and pretty green when it comes to the mods somewhat on these trucks...truck has 6lb lower pulley, high-flow intake, 90 mm MAF, NGK-6 spark plugs,stock other then that tuned by jdm/jersey, the guy selling has had this tune since 18k miles on the truck and has 70k on her now, been several years with no problems according to him, he tells me this is a safe tune, i kinda knew no better, but after reading and doing some homework here, i am really wondering if it is or has this truck did it's time and due maybe for ??, guy seems very straight up and older guy, that has not run at track every weekend or beat on it, and taken care of truck, but bottom line i am confused, in my readings, i think it is fair to say "its all about the tune" and some say no problems or worrys and other's kinda say different with thes setup and could be potential issues and on the edge a bit, i know no one has a crystal ball here, but i am looking for no worry's and a weekend type truck with no headaches/dependable hopefully, should i run to it guys or run from it? any kind of insight would be much appreciated if possible....by the way the price is 10k , i really like the truck and it's in my price range and been looking at several that is higher that is not as nice....thanks in advance

MJG

Established Member
If you were to buy a stock truck,you would MOD it eventually, so pick the one with the mods done previously.
If it is a JDM tune, one of the best in the business,but get it on a dyno to make sure all is well anyway.
10k isn't bad, if the truck looks to be in good condition than the owner probably took care ofit.
In regards to its always 'in the tune', yes a good tune from a reputable lightning specific tuner is critical, but other factors i.e. bad fuel filter, bad gas, cold nights, OD on etc can lead to trouble as well.
Let's put it this way, I've spent money on my stock block and modded it past what the motor was originally designed to do, everytime I slam on it, there's the thought of "this could be it'
Gotta pay to play, there's always a risk, one truck with the same mods might last years, another may last weeks.
That being said, you definately need to get in to a gen2 and enjoy it, one heck of a ride!

Last edited:

ZZZZAP

Striking twice
Established Member
Those are simple mods for the gen2's. JDM is a pretty reputable company and if it's got a JDM tune then I wouldn't worry. I'd be more concerned if it had a "canned" tune from Diablo or rpmoutlet or something. I've been running a 6lb lower, intake, tune for the past 2 years or so with no problems.

95 thunder

Established Member
appreciate it guys....thanks, zzzzzap, he has a dyno showing 409 hp also (see it in your sig) with mods i described which if i understand u right your mods are similiar/same...do u think 1/4 mile times be similiar to yours?

Last edited:

INFAMOU$

The Infamous Project
Established Member
Well I have a JDM stage 1 setup on my truck.. been on it since 70k and now she's at 115k.. I change my oil regularly and use the proper fuel and I have not had any issues.. Honestly from what you're saying the truck sounds like a good buy!! I would almost be more paranoid of someone trying to sell you a "stock" truck that has really been "returned to stock for the sale"... If this guy seems straight up and genuine then he most likely is and doesn't have anything to hide..

Go for it.. 10k sounds reasonable for the mileage and few mods you're getting! Hope this helps!

Also.. if it bothers you that much then step down to a 3lb lower and re-tune the truck.. I am sure it will last a long time!

95 thunder

Established Member
thanks, i am not worried too much on a "modified" truck, it's just understanding the modifications and as mentioned, did not know better and then started reading and then it was a big mixed bag of pro's and con's, i have really run this thru my head and ironically another truck/guy that i was looking at, came down on price and i am now swaying to get it....all stock 02 except for catback, 40k on the clock/silver for $14,500, clean/straight (what u all think?) ....actually looking to do a little towing also where the other one was lowered abit(just leveling shackle deal), and this one being stock/not lowered i think will be the better realistic ticket....thanks again guys, btw infamous, your truck looks awesome

Last edited:

INFAMOU$

The Infamous Project
Established Member
The 02 sounds nice as well.... honestly, it sounds like you are fairly knowledgeable and that you have a bit of money to play with with.. So I would just go with your gut and the truck you like most... IE Color, mods, etc... There are a lot of these trucks out there it just depends on how soon you want to get one :)

I bought my 1st L with 40k on it.. and my current one had 95k when i got it.. hell i even had one that had 150k on it.. They all drove the same and were all very well kept! As for the towing aspect.. depending on the loads you plan on towing the drop shouldn't really affect anything..

Users who are viewing this thread