Any issue with with shock when changing rear leafs?

ChuteboxeL03

Established Member
When i install my hotchkis rear leafs its gonna give me a 2.5" drop, wat am i going to have to do about the shocks? can i leave them as is, or is shock extenders needed. Oh and how is it to do this urself? Thanks.

Blown5pnt4

Established Member
I did the same thing when I installed my Hotchkis TVS. Install is relatively simple as well as you got some mechanical ability. You can run stock shocks like I do, but it makes it ride a bit harsher over big bumps. I'm planning on a set of shock extenders soon to help eliminate that. I actually did the leafs and 2" shackles though so you might be a lil better off than me.

Fade 2 Black

Gen 2 Diehard
Established Member
Shock extenders are well worth the $$$. Not mandatory but recommended. Figure 3-4 hours for the swap if it's your first foray into the rear suspension. It's not difficult really, just labor intensive.

lightninmike

skeered to mod it
Established Member
Adding shock extenders made my truck handle totally different after i did the same springs. I would call it mandatory but its really not.

RIDE THE

Shake & Bake
Established Member
Fade 2 Black said:
Shock extenders are well worth the $$$. Not mandatory but recommended. Figure 3-4 hours for the swap if it's your first foray into the rear suspension. It's not difficult really, just labor intensive.

+1

fuelonempty

حمدالله على نعمة العقل...
Established Member
I bought my truck used. It has the Roush lowering kit, but the back end is just so stiff it makes the ride so uncomfortable, could it be because the kit still uses the stock shocks? how do I know if the extenders were part of the kit and if they are already installed??

Anything to make it ride smoother?

RIDE THE

Shake & Bake
Established Member
DSCF1633-copy.jpg

See where the shocks bolt to the rear axle tube's? There would be a 2 inch bracket that drops down from the axle tube. All it does is it lets the shock ride at the correct length instead of being compressed a few inches.

I need to C-notch the frame and install some shock extenders here soon.

WhiteBolt

Engine Master
Established Member
fuelonempty said:
I bought my truck used. It has the Roush lowering kit, but the back end is just so stiff it makes the ride so uncomfortable, could it be because the kit still uses the stock shocks? how do I know if the extenders were part of the kit and if they are already installed??

Anything to make it ride smoother?
Shock extenders look like this:
Most of the time when you lower a Lightning more than 3" without shock extenders, you have a chance of bottoming the stock shocks out.
DSC00729.jpg

Last edited:

Skrapmetal

Established Member
Since we're talking about the Hotchkis set, do you guys use shackles with the TVS to get level? I've got 2" shackles on their already, and plan to buy the TVS this summer. I'd love to wind up nice and level with both.

Users who are viewing this thread