Any IT professionals?

LT1FireChicken

Established Member
Ive got a quick question for anyone that might know IT well enough to answer the question haha.

Hardware: USB thumb drive.
Problem: Opening .doc and .xls files goes without a problem. Saving becomes the issue. The file will prompt an error, and the file will erase itself from the thumb drive.
Temp Solution: Save to Desktop and copy paste to Thumb Drive.

I was wondering if anyone would know a permenant fix to this problem. Could it be the Thumb Drive is in Read-Only mode or locked?

Corrupted file?

If anyone else has come across a similar issue please feel free to post your remedies to this issue.

JasonSnake

Established Member
Does the same thing happen on another computer?

Is the computer you are using a workstation at work? Could be something in the permissions policies to write to an external device.

Guy Fawkes

Established Member
could be a few things, make sure the device isnt write locked. Also it could be a permissions thing if you are at work.

Im not too familiar with the hardware aspects of a flash drive but it could also be the drive going bad on the write side of things...... actually no that does not make sense, you can still copy files to it.

Venomous98Cobra

Established Member
If it does it on another computer, it would be the drive...what would actually be wrong with it...I don't know.

If it doesn't do the same on other computers, it would have to be something...permission wise on the computer your using. If your using a computer at work or school, try your computer at home to check if its doing the same.

I'm pretty sure you can format them, so you can try taking everything off and then doing a format.

langod

Cobra: The Anti-hybrid
Established Member
Is this on Vista? There are some weird permission settings in Vista that sometimes disallow saving to directories while an app is open. Seems mostly to be older applications that pre-date Vista. I have a similar problem with a label program. I can't save an picture directly to the program's image directory, but if I save the image to the desktop I can copy/paste it in just fine.

wvmystichrome

Established Member
I had a corrupt flash drive a couple of years ago. I contacted the manufacturer and they had me download software off their website and run it. It reformatted (If thats what its called) and it has worked fine ever since. I bet its something to do in the permisson settings of the computer you're on. Most companies do not like files stored to external plug and play drives of any type. I know our software where I work may allow you to copy the file to a flash drive or external source but it is junk/scrambled when you try to retrieve and view it. With the way sensitive and proprietary information is getting carried out of businesses a lot of them are locking down this kind of actions. Good luck.

Users who are viewing this thread