Any kayakers in here?

Coiled03

Established Member
I'll be doing a calm water kayak tour of the Colorado River around Vegas in late September. I'm woefully uninformed on what kind of equipment to wear, or bring, and could use some guidance

I've been told to bring a small waterproof bag for my phone (duh). Probably need to take a hat and sunscreen.

But should I wear a swimsuit, or just regular clothes? There will be excursions out of the kayak, so what kind of shoes should I wear knowing they could get wet? Any other suggestions?

ON D BIT

Finish First
Established Member
Swimsuit, water shoes or old pair that you won’t mind losing/not wearing again, old sunglasses, dry bag for change of clothes wallet knife snacks.
I’m assuming they’re shuttling and you won’t be camping?

Ive done water rafting and it’s a blast. Kayaking even on calm water should be very fun enjoy!

Coiled03

Established Member
Swimsuit, water shoes or old pair that you won’t mind losing/not wearing again, dry bag for change of clothes wallet knife snacks.
I’m assuming they’re shuttling and you won’t be camping?

Ive done water rafting and it’s a blast. Kayaking even on calm water should be very fun enjoy!

Yeah, I'm looking forward to it!

Yes, they'll shuttle us up and down after we arrive to the launch point. No camping as it's only about a 5-hour day tour.

I could get some water shoes, but it doesn't seem like they'd be very good for walking/hiking. Maybe it would be better to just wear my old running shoes.

Any suggestions for a dry bag? Should I just use like a gallon sized zip lock?

CV355

_
Established Member
I wear swimming trunks and a UV-resistant swim shirt when I go kayaking. Sandals help, though I'm really not a "sandals" guy. You could also get a pair of waterproof hiking shoes.

Bring lots of water and a snack too. They make small waterproof lunch packs you can strap down on the bungee cargo area of most kayaks.

I also recommend going to a place like Cabelas and getting a lightweight life vest so you don't have to wear the honkin' refrigerator size ones they lend out for free at most kayak places.

Last edited:

ford fanatic

Four Eyed Freak
Established Member
We did that kayak trip last September while in Vegas. The water is ice cold believe it or not, but very refreshing.

We wore bathing suits and water shoes, they worked fine for the amount of walking we did. We also took a small backpack with snacks and a ziplock for our phones and cash, the water isn't rough, so there shouldn't be any reason your kayak should go over. Hat, sunglasses and sunblock and you should be set.

Last edited:

ford fanatic

Four Eyed Freak
Established Member
175285CC-0BEE-49B3-A95C-731C2067E2EA.jpeg
6497CBD3-E24A-4BCA-9A26-B7B28E7CBA6C.jpeg
94C70B2D-9289-4203-B957-CE2CB63FEE77.jpeg

Last edited:

SID297

OWNER/ADMIN
Administrator
I have a cheap one from CL that I paddle around the Waterway occasionally.

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

IronSnake

Beers for the boys
Established Member
As someone that goes to the beaches/water ways here regularly, I can give you some gear suggestions.

Aftco (American Fish Tackle Co) makes a set of nice swim/wear shorts. They have pockets, are a lot like swim trunks, dry quickly, but can be used as regular wear.

Columbia PFG long sleeve fishing shirts are the jam for that. UV resistant, sheds water, basically feels like you're not wearing anything so they keep you cool.

Sperry's or surf shoes are what I would buy/wear for that.

earico

It's 4:20 somewhere...
Established Member

ford fanatic

Four Eyed Freak
Established Member
Beautiful. Looks like that's just below Hoover Dam?
I used to frequent that lake and river south of the Hoover. When it's 100 out the water is like 75 degrees 30 miles south of the damn. Up near the damn at Willow Beach Marina I measured it and it was around 55 degrees on the same day. They say the water coming out the bottom of the damn is in the 40s.

Yes, this was just a half day trip, i'd guess we were about 4 miles from the dam. The guide said the water was in the 50's.

Our next trip to Vegas we are doing the full day trip that will take us right up to the base of the dam.

Users who are viewing this thread