Any LEOs welcome qustion about an Incident saturday 11-9

CJ04GT

04 Oxford White Mach 1
Established Member
So me and my buddy are leaving his house and get on the highway going about 5 exits diown to meet some other buddys to go to the track. BTW I live in georgia and we are in COBB county. We are in both left turn lanes at the light making a left, we see the cop about 3 cars back... When we make the left and get into the next 2 turn lanes to get to our destination we are in the 2nd left turn lane... The officer pulls up in the 1st left turn lane and stops right behind my left rear fender and proceeds to run my tag while stopping a large amount of traffic at a red light, you could have put 6 cars in front of her. If you are familiar with GA and the kennessaw area you know how bad barrett parkway is... Well she runs my tag pulls up and runs my buddys tag.... Im thinking to my self why. So light turns green we continue to make the left and the officer cuts me off and flips her lights on to pull my buddy over. He pulls over and long story short gets taken to jail for a ticket that was paid LATE but PAID and even showed them the reciept of it... They said that could of been anywhere so they took him to jail where he was released later that night after they realized he had paid it... My question to you is, Do some of you officers profile certain cars? She ran our tags no one elses, and bluntly did it. On the jail part is there anything that can be done? Thank you for your time

Outlaw99

Join us.
Premium Member
i am no longer LEO, but can offer what most likely happened.

when your friend didnt pay the ticket by the deadline, a warrant was issued. here, it is called a bench warrant. time goes by and he pays it. but the warrant is still there and must be served through its due process. sucks going to jail for a few hours, but if he had paid it by the deadline, it could have been avoided. warrants dont just go away or disappear when you eventually pay something off. they stay active until served.

no, i never profiled any type of car, only the behavior of any car that deemed or got my attention.

Last edited:

CJ04GT

04 Oxford White Mach 1
Established Member
Thanks man I appreciate it. It seems we here do get profiled a lot I guess its cop honestly.

JST A HDA

Established Member
Yep what he said. If someone has a warrant when I run a tag through dispatch they will come back stating the R/O has a current warrant and then will proceed to advise whether it is a good pick up or not. That's why he got pulled over.

As for the jail thing...your friend is basically SOL. Paperwork prob wasn't caught up yet so it wasn't showing that it was taken care of.

As for profiling...I only profile idiots, acting like idiots, driving like idiots, looking like idiots but that's just me :beer:

Last edited:

silver03svt

Official Snowflake Melting Machine
Established Member
As for running the tag, the tag itself is property of the DMV. It is only issued for use to the vehicle. Law allows the LEO to run any tag at any time at any place ecause of that. Is it profiling? Not really, but I guess if you want to look at it that way, you can. I often run motorcycle (especially crotchrockets) tags only because these bikes are the most common to be involved in traffic pursuits, and get away at the time. If an officer in a pursuit can obtain the tag # of the bike he pursues, he can always enter the bike as wanted.

To me, profiling is more of running somebody's tag based upon a PHYSICAL ASPECT OF THE VEHICLE'S OPERATOR and not the vehicle itself.

I will also agree that it sucks to sit in jail because of late fines, but, that's how it works there.

Shepp1691

Established Member
I probably run 200 tags per shift, try not to profile anything, I have found warrants attached to anything from a 1986 Sheepdog to a brand new F150.

JST A HDA

Established Member
I probably run 200 tags per shift, try not to profile anything, I have found warrants attached to anything from a 1986 Sheepdog to a brand new F150.

You do that through dispatch or you have a computer? Our dispatch would shit if we ran 200 sig 7's lol

Shepp1691

Established Member
All of out cruisers have MDCs or MDTs, whatever your departments calls them, we can run tags on those, gotta hand type them in but comes back with all the info.

JoeDirty

Established Member
All of out cruisers have MDCs or MDTs, whatever your departments calls them, we can run tags on those, gotta hand type them in but comes back with all the info.
Holy hell small world... I live in Govenors Hill in good ol Hamilton :beer:

cbj5259

Established Member
Many Departments, including mine, utilize tag readers so hundreds of tags could potentially be run every shift. The computer only alerts me when there is a ptoblem.

JST A HDA

Established Member

Got ya. We run our things through OHLEG and if we need more info then have to call through dispatch.

Many Departments, including mine, utilize tag readers so hundreds of tags could potentially be run every shift. The computer only alerts me when there is a ptoblem.

We have a plate reader on one of our cars BUT for some reason it doesn't work.

Hitman318

My other car is a cruiser
Established Member
Highly doubt your buddy was singled out. Pretty common to run tags at lights, did it all the time before I went to Motors. Best way to locate switched tags and stolen vehicles. As for the capias warrant it's been covered, once it's created it has to be served.

DevilDog81

Can't fix stupid!!!
Established Member
Profiling a motor vehicle is not against the law, racially profiling a driver or passengers, it is. Driving the type of vehicles we drive, it calls the attention. I get stopped by rookies and when I drive around rural areas from time to time. When I used to drive my mercedes, I never got stopped. As soon as I bought the cobra, these cars are magnets and it is easier to drive faster too. I always tell them I'm a cop because I carry my gun on me all the time. I have been stopped for 4 miles an hour over the limit, I don't argue or fight, the place to fight is court but if I did wrong, there is no sense to argue or fight. Some cops are pricks and some other are just doing their jobs.

RedRocketMike

A Member Well Known
Established Member
Side question, what happens if your "tag scanners" find a warrant attached to a car while it's on private property?

Shepp1691

Established Member
Ive had a tag scanner hit on a car parked in the driveway, went up, rang the door bell, arrested said person.

RedRocketMike

A Member Well Known
Established Member
Interesting. I would think you could only use a device like while vehicles were on state owned roads.

Users who are viewing this thread