any new edge guys running E85

blueehaze13

Established Member
i was reading over on the distillery forum and noticed its a bunch of terminator guys running it. i was wondering if any new edge guys have done it and what would be needed besides pumps and injectors..also i read ethanol was corrosive so would that be bad since were not forged?

REX-RACER

Testing w/ the live data!
Established Member
i was reading over on the distillery forum and noticed its a bunch of terminator guys running it. i was wondering if any new edge guys have done it and what would be needed besides pumps and injectors..also i read ethanol was corrosive so would that be bad since were not forged?

I've been running E85 in my car on what is essentially a 93 tune just b/c of the price difference, which is about .30 less than 93 in my area, for about a year. That was on the stock fuel system and I've had no problems at all other than the expected drop off in gas mileage, I'm getting between 200 - 250 miles/tank on E85 depending on how I drive.

Currently I am completely n/a but over the winter I've been doing a lot of work on the car and part of that was an upgrade to an FGT fuel pump and 42lbs EV1 fuel injectors as I plan to run a 75 shot of N2O after getting an E85 specific tune. I have an XCal2 so it will be a snap to go back and forth between an E85 or a 93 tune as needed. This spring/summer I plan to bump up to a 100 - 150 N2O shot but that will likely require another fuel system upgrade possibly the Fore twin pump return style set up.

My winter mods should be done by this weekend or next and hopefully the car will be back on the road shortly there after if it doesn't snow where I am :nonono:. The only other New Edger that I know of seriously running E85 is Janstang but his setup is hardly stock as he has a monster turbo and built block that I think pushes into the 700+ hp range! :eek:

As far as worrying about ethanol messing up your fuel system, don't worry about it the fuel systems on most cars were hardened against alcohol blended fuels as far back as 1995. The reason for this was due to that fact the Ethanol took off as a motor fuel in South America far earlier than it did in North America but b/c that is a huge market for U.S. auto manufacturers they all pretty much decided to just make the fuel systems alcohol hardened across the board in order to make the production lines as uniform as possible and amortize the costs. This is why all the hullabaloo we're all going to here in the next year about the move to E15 in many major cities is just that, noise & wind propagated by the petroleum industry advocates.

At any rate, here's a thread I started on the subject a few years ago that has a lot of good info and links:

http://www.svtperformance.com/forums/new-edge-cobras-51/381030-converting-e85.html

HTH!

Users who are viewing this thread