Any of you guys/gals ever hear this noise?

Vinnie T

Established Member
Did this ever get answered?

If this is the clunk I think it is, it's the rear sway bar moving in the mounts. Does it happen like when you angle into a sloped driveway, especially when turning right? If that's the one, have your dealer service guy look up the TSB from 99 regarding this. The fix amounted to putting collars onto the sway bar itself on each side of the mounting brackets, and tightening the hell out of the collars. This prevents the sway bar from moving side to side on those tight turns. Seems to have solved the problem in my car for the most part, but notice a light clunk every so often when the outside temperature really warms up.

Forgot to mention that this fix came directly from Bill Franco at Ford, who was (at the time) the guru on "the clunk" and "the vibe".

Last edited:

mechanic66

Established Member
Well I got an an '01 and I have this cool popping noise in the right front. It happens every day when I pull into my parking spot but I'm sure the dealer won't be able to duplicate it.
Ford :xpl:

Vinnie T

Established Member
Mechanic 66,

Will your car make the noise on any of the terrain around the dealership? If so, take the tech for a ride and demostrate it yourself. I did that with "the clunk" by driving over the uneven surfaces in my dealer's back lot. Also, took the tech on the freeway and reproduced "the vibe" for him which really helped him understand the problem.
Frankly, I've got a great dealer to work with, who has gone out of their way to take care of me and my car. You may not have that luxury.

Users who are viewing this thread