Any preppers in here?

Mojo88

"Hammer" Time
Established Member
We have the get out of town vehicle. I use it for work. Nick name (stewie) m1078 110 gal. Auxiliary fuel tank, 1 6k diesel gen, 1-3k diesel gen, 1-3k gas Honda gen/welder, 1 on board 120psi air compressor and 1 portable gas AC. 40 gal. Propane, 240 gal. Water tank.....

Oh yeah man, that's a bugout vehicle! All you need is to make it bullet proof (without LOOKING bullet proof).

I wonder if Uncle Sam would sell me one of those leftover MRAP's? That would be the ultimate bugout vehicle!

03Sssnake

TK-421
Established Member
Oh yeah man, that's a bugout vehicle! All you need is to make it bullet proof (without LOOKING bullet proof).

I wonder if Uncle Sam would sell me one of those leftover MRAP's? That would be the ultimate bugout vehicle!

good luck with maintenance $$$ on an MRAP, pneumatic doors, electrical problems etc.. plus they are heavy as ****, like 14+ tons, think shoulders on roads collapsing as you try to go around disable vehicles etc....That light utility truck lOOKnGO has is the way to go!

Mojo88

"Hammer" Time
Established Member
good luck with maintenance $$$ on an MRAP, pneumatic doors, electrical problems etc.. plus they are heavy as ****, like 14+ tons, think shoulders on roads collapsing as you try to go around disable vehicles etc....

MRAP for SHTF...... The maintenance would be worth it. Plus you'd never have to "go around disabled vehicles"... just shove them off to the side, or run right over them! :cool:

lOOKnGO

Keep'um smiling
Established Member

Thousands of MRAP's were scraped In Texas years ago. I was able to buy the gears from them to go faster. The whole drivetrains were
available also. All had min. Mileage. Unlikely to ever have the opportunity to buy one complete. Our unit looks like a municipal truck when in route. I also have a complete New MRAP $80,000 light kit with infrared that has yet to be installed. Cab remote control.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

03Sssnake

TK-421
Established Member
MRAP for SHTF...... The maintenance would be worth it. Plus you'd never have to "go around disabled vehicles"... just shove them off to the side, or run right over them! :cool:

As Markspaz pointed out...If you have waited for STHF to bugout, then it’s already too late. You aren’t going to move a sea of disabled vehicles on highway either. The DoD was paying close 50K a year for upkeep on each one, but I’m sure that’s super inflated...just keep in mind many of these have seen some heavy use and were rushed into production, so they will likely have issues that need to be addressed.

lOOKnGO

Keep'um smiling
Established Member
My son wrote a survival book/pamphlet (I have not read it through) but he had a lot of info in it. Such as things seldom mentioned like lock pick sets and stressed the need for ham radio operation just to name a few.

Revvv

Infinity Poster
Established Member
I used to be an Assistant Emergency Coordinator in my county. I have trained with local and federal law enforcement and I am certified by FEMA and DHS as a NIMS ICS Manager, specializing in Technology and BIO-hazards. I spent a decade with my team preparing to not only survive, but to help others in affected areas as well. I'll give you all some tips on how to survive multiple situations, based on what I have learned and opinions I have developed.

I am going to skip the obvious stuff like meds, first-aid, firearms, etc., and cover stuff commonly ignored or under-prepped.

First and foremost, if you are going to "bug-out", you MUST do it prior to it being a necessity. If you wait until the SHTF, you're screwed, you waited too long. Bug-out requires a tremendous amount of insight and reading conditions/events in such as way that common travel is still an option. In a brown fan moment, passable roads, fuel, food and respect are either non-existent or very hard to find.

Also, be sure you have a vehicle that is capable of carrying the people you want to bring, food and supplies, as well as truly being off-road capable. You don't want to get stuck or not be able to get somewhere because a road is washed out or there is 6 inches of snow on the ground.

You need multiple destinations planned outside any expected area that will be impacted, with multiple routes per destination. If you are going somewhere that you don't own the property, make sure the property owner knows you are coming. Stay out of national parks, local parks, land management areas, and wildlife management areas. Especially if factions of military or law enforcement are something you are trying to avoid.

Regardless of where you are or what your plan is, if it involves staying in the affected area, you should plan for between 10 to 30 days worth of supplies so you don't need to venture outside. Cities are over crowded and a lot of people will be competing for limited resources. Lots of fighting will happen the first week. As people kill each other off or run away (evacuate), it will become safer to leave your location (Katrina is a great example of this).

Out in farm country, you are less likely to have chaos, but stragglers trying to leave the city or burbs will find their way to your land. Be ready to defend yourself if/when they arrive.

Specific supplies for the first days... plan on 3,000 calories / 300+ carbohydrates per day, per person. You also need 3 gallons of water per day, per person. At least 1 gallon should be potable. I know the water sounds like a lot, but non-potable water for washing, flushing toilets, etc. gets used very quickly. Plus you need potable water for hydration as well as cooking/food prep.

If you are in a close community, such as a city or the burbs, work with your neighbors to make a plan. There is strength in numbers. Using numerical odds to your favor to keep people away from your home is your best option. Remember, bullets go trough drywall very easily. Also, your home is probably very flammable. Due to a lack of fortification in your home, you must keep potential trouble far enough away from the property that it is protected from people who mean you harm.

If you are in a city or burbs and there is no immediately visible end to the loss of public infrastructure, you need to find what government agencies are stood up to support victims and get there before your supplies run out. After your short-term resources are exhausted, you are screwed. Especially if you have nowhere to go. Many agencies have predetermined locations chosen, such as schools, churches, warehouses, big-box stores, etc. Do research BEFORE it becomes a requirement to know.

If you are smart, you will play the long game. For me, that is zero dependency on any commercial resources and being able to live indefinitely off of natural resource. I have a home that borders a federally protected water right-of-way. Fresh flowing water is on my land. I have been baiting deer on my land for the last 20 years. If society goes to shit, be it for 3 months or 30 years, unless my property is over-run, I have zero reason to ever leave.

Get used to living without electricity. Generators are great if you are in a defensible community and your community members are going to make up a reliable team, but resources for generators are limited. Also, if an entire area is blacked out except your house, the bad guys know who has shit they can rob. Lights in the darkness and the sound of an engine (generator) running make you a target.

Learn how to butcher animals, smoke meats, etc. Without refrigeration, smoking and spice will be the only reasonable way to preserve food so you don't have to hunt/fish all the time.

Learn what naturally occurring vegetation and insects in your area are edible. Farming is great, but finding heritage seeds will be almost impossible and its not likely you know how to grow hybrid crops. Also, even if you know how to grow crops, you need to eat while you're waiting for that stuff to grow.

Firearms are great for all-out defense, but get a compound bow or compounded cross bow. Arrows and bolts are quiet and efficient killers without spooking other animals and giving your position away. While firearm cartridges are limited, even if you reload, arrows and bolts are easily reusable with little to no maintenance and almost no limit to the number of times they can be reused.

Learn to take care of and ride a horse. Be sure you have something to barter with to get a horse for transportation (if you don't own your own). Fuel will become limited very quickly. Horses are very quiet compared to driving a truck.

Learn how to make a fire. Like an actual long and hot burning fire. And learn how to do it without lighters or matches. Again... those items run out/dry.

I could write a book... but this should give you something to think about. Lots of stuff to take action on.
Do not rely on FEMA. You forget to add that after mentioning being trained for / by the agency Marc.

Sorry, I had to say it.

Sent from a non multiquoting device at svtperformance.com mobile app

03Sssnake

TK-421
Established Member
Do not rely on FEMA. You forget to add that after mentioning being trained for / by the agency Marc.

Sorry, I had to say it.

“The most terrifying words in the English language are: I'm from the government and I'm here to help.”

~Ronald Reagan

Dbrd_5.0

Established Member
Food, Water, Gold & Gun’s...paper money will only be good for fire, of course that’s for the major apocalypse,

Natural Disaster, I went through Hurricane Harvey, worst thing Ive experienced, even though you evacuate your homes. be prepared with lots of water, food, and fuel for your generators, have plenty of batteries for your essentials, flash lights, radios exc. all this is for when you get back to your home, because none of that will be available, unless you start a looting spree wich will 100% get you shot and take only what you need, that is most important to you. The homes can be replaced

...yes also forgot to mention, as other’s brought up, DO NOT RELY ON FEMA!

Last edited:

MarcSpaz

Resident Trouble Maker
Established Member

Sorry, I had to say it.

I wouldn't rely on any government agency, especially FEMA. The ARC is okay, maybe, depending on your area and how bad it gets.

I really can't stress enough that everything other than being capable and ready to function 100% off the grid and on your own, could be a death sentence due to being lazy.

lOOKnGO

Keep'um smiling
Established Member

Sorry, I had to say it.

The only thing I can see out my window is Mount Weather. The headquarters for FEMA. A complete self contained underground facility. It was a top secret military installation, until a jet liner crash exposed its location in the early 70's. a lot of the pictures have been scrubbed on the web. Very few citizens have any idea what this place is.
Mount Weather: Secret Underground Complex, page 1

MarcSpaz

Resident Trouble Maker
Established Member
The only thing I can see out my window is Mount Weather. The headquarters for FEMA. A complete self contained underground facility. It was a top secret military installation, until a jet liner crash exposed its location in the early 70's. a lot of the pictures have been scrubbed on the web. Very few citizens have any idea what this place is.
Mount Weather: Secret Underground Complex, page 1

I have some bad news for anyone who thinks that's a FEMA site... its not, and its purpose is still classified.

MarcSpaz

Resident Trouble Maker
Established Member
Here is a good example of why you need to be able to identify if you will need to bug out and do it early.

Thousands of individuals evacuate Houston as Hurricane Rita approached in 2005. If a catastrophe hit right then and there, they would all be screwed. As it was, this was a massive mess. Lots of accidents, people getting stuck because they ran out of fuel or their vehicle broke down. Responses to breakdowns and crashes were limited at best. It took days to get everyone off the highway. Many vehicles had to be abandoned.

Traffic.jpg

blubyu87gt

Established Member
First and foremost, if you are going to "bug-out", you MUST do it prior to it being a necessity. If you wait until the SHTF, you're screwed, you waited too long. Bug-out requires a tremendous amount of insight and reading conditions/events in such as way that common travel is still an option. In a brown fan moment, passable roads, fuel, food and respect are either non-existent or very hard to find.

This x1000. It's like going to the gas station or grocery store the day before the hurricane hits. Too late for all that. What you have might be all you're able to live off at that point.

I was just talking to an acquaintance today about this. He's planning on leaving Charleston, SC Saturday "if it gets bad" with his family and dogs. He plans to go in a Jeep XJ he hasn't driven in forever. After I asked how much fuel it has he realized he had no clue. Ended up being about an 8th tank left. He's seriously going to wait till he has to leave before he puts more fuel in it.... Tried to reason with him about how bad of an idea that is but he seems confident that he will be able to fill up if he needs to.

Don't Care
Established Member
Malt Liquor Mafia
I live on a wooded lot surrounded by preserved forest off a back road thats off a back road off a back road. I have a perimeter set and could sit here living like I do now for a month. I used to prep for longer but I just don't see the need to and it is expensive.

Two things I didn't see mentioned here. Toilet paper and the ability to filter water.

MarcSpaz

Resident Trouble Maker
Established Member
He's planning on leaving Charleston, SC Saturday "if it gets bad" with his family and dogs...

...Tried to reason with him about how bad of an idea that is but he seems confident that he will be able to fill up if he needs to.

Man, I hope he at least listens on the fuel thing. He might be riding out the storm in a Jeep with no fuel and no one to help the family.

...Two things I didn't see mentioned here. Toilet paper and the ability to filter water.

I saw a couple of people mention water purification. But, yea, short term disasters can be a lot more comfy if you have things like TP, wet wipes, paper towels, deodorant, soap and toothpaste, etc. I think that doesn't get discussed much in disaster prep due to most of it being short term and people generally have these items in bulk anyway.

My EC's favorite expression was "Make a list and check it off. You don't want to forget your radio because you remembered you forgot the batteries for the radio."

03Sssnake

TK-421
Established Member
Here is a good example of why you need to be able to identify if you will need to bug out and do it early.

Thousands of individuals evacuate Houston as Hurricane Rita approached in 2005. If a catastrophe hit right then and there, they would all be screwed. As it was, this was a massive mess. Lots of accidents, people getting stuck because they ran out of fuel or their vehicle broke down. Responses to breakdowns and crashes were limited at best. It took days to get everyone off the highway. Many vehicles had to be abandoned.

View attachment 1515169

BINGO! Katrina added to that hysteria, everyone was convinced by the news, so called experts it was going to be another monster like Katrina. I think 20-30 folks died during the evac due to incidents, vehicle, bus fires etc.. We were living in Round Rock at the time, thank god... my sister in law evacuated to come stay with us, it took her 10+ hours(normally 2hr drive).

90lx

Established Member
I live on a wooded lot surrounded by preserved forest off a back road thats off a back road off a back road. I have a perimeter set and could sit here living like I do now for a month. I used to prep for longer but I just don't see the need to and it is expensive.

Two things I didn't see mentioned here. Toilet paper and the ability to filter water.
It does get expensive depending on the depth you get into it. But I figure I can always use what I have. I love to camp and shoot so nothing would ever go to waste. I use what ammo I've had sitting around for a while and just replenish it as needed. My kids joke with me every time I go to the grocery asking me if I'm getting ready for a zombie apocalypse because I get so much at a time. It's just a peace of mind thing and my boys are teenagers and eat like a horse.

Users who are viewing this thread