any sales managers here? How to dress?

svtcobra2k3

Established Member
I know there are a few car salesman and sales managers here... so I just wanted to ask, I will be going to apply for a car salesman job that i saw in an ad from the paper... the only thing I'm worried about is How should I dress? I know that I will most likely wear my black slacks with my black dress shoes but, Is it OK if I wear just a plain white Polo shirt? Should I tuck the polo shirt in? Or do I need to wear like a long sleeve button down dress shirt? This is only to turn my application in. So I don't know if I am going to be over dressing just to go there and drop my application off. But what I'm concerned about is, what if I drop my application off and they say "Wait, we will be doing interviews right now" then I'm screwed if I am not dressed right. So I just want to know what should I wear to the dealership when applying for the job?? Thanks in advance.

Lightmare

Banned
You have the right idea about the pants and shoes. Just throw on a white longsleeve button up or blue or something along those lines.

Always tuck in your shirt.

Hell, even a shirt and tie wouldn't be over the top. Might I suggest a medium/dark blue shirt with aqua/blue tie...worked for me.

But if you really REALLY want the job, nothing says pro like snakeskin boots, grey slacks, wife beater and long greasy hair...topped off with a few gold chains and a big gold ring....and if you have a little more time, let your chest hair grow.

Last edited:

logan_yomtov

Established Member
buttoned shirt, tie, slacks, nice shoes, nice watch.

even if the store has a usual dress appearel of slacks and a polo, you still want to look you're best and as professional as possible during the interview.

when they ask you why you want to sell cars, tell them you want to make money. A lot of money.

also, the most important part of being a salesman is the ability to sell yourself. If people don't like you they won't buy from you, no matter how good the deal is or how nice the car.

svt_fan1129

Established Member
All of the above.
- try not to be like him....
Gil.jpg

spitin venom

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
Established Member
You should wear a long sleeve dress shirt. I am a director for a dealer group and I love doing interviews on the spot. Be prepared for it.

Most dealers do drug, background, live scan, DMV, etc. test/checks now. If you have a clean driving record, no felonies and are "clean" you should be fine.

You can make tons of money in the car business.

CobraKraiger

Know Not Anxiety Or Fear
Established Member
nice slacks, dress shoes, tuck the shirt in with a nice belt, and put a tie on and make sure its a nice knot I always look at the damn knot and if its not good i think to myself this person is how old and doesn't know how to tie a f@cking tie oh and a good color for the dress shirt is white you can never go wrong with white its a nice no nonsense color. And good luck man!!!

Users who are viewing this thread