any shifter with more rearward extension?

sloopjonb

Established Member
I am 6'2" and have to have the seat all the way back and inclined some; in fact, I'd like to buy the seat rail extensions from Kenny Brown. The problem I have, once I'm comfortable, is being able to comfortably reach 1st, 3rd and 5th without leaning forward some. I have long arms, but not long enough for this stupid, too far forward shifter position. Is anybody aware of an aftermarket shifter or shift lever that brings this activity back further than stock?

HotRodHarry

Life is short,Live it up!
Established Member
Rousch makes a real nice shifter that hangs back abit...I have never used one, seen them in pics and on Roush Mustangs...I have the Steeda Tri- Ax that can be mounted up higher if needed. But I have it mounted lower for now.

Harry
www.HotRodHarrys.com

sloopjonb

Established Member
HodRodHarry,
Interesting that you mentioned the Roush shifter, as I sat in a Roush awhile back and thought the same thing, although I couldn't really adjust the guy's seat and all to really see if it was better. I haven't seen this unit listed as an accesory one can buy, but maybe I should give them a call. Thanks!

sloopjonb

Established Member
Originally posted by J69gordon
don't look for a shifter, change the handle with the MGW... it has an adjustable tilt.

Thanks for the reply, but does it actually result in a further back position?

Cobra'03

Established Member
Yesss!! that is what they are saying - plus you can angle it to "target" your hand so well that it seems further back than it actually is. It really is the best out there as far as I can tell.

Most people have found that turning it to around "7:30" or so results in the best position for smooth down and upshifting. After I got mine all tuned in, (angle, height, turinin), after several tries, I never missed third again. Highly recommended. I am 6'1".

acatalon

Established Member
I am anxiously awaiting mine now, spoke to designer last week and he said he just tweeked his adjustment range to better fit the t56 fitment in cobra, new design was to arrive this week.

beabout

Established Member
Ford's supplied shifter leaves alot to be desired... I don't understand why they spent so much R&D on this ride and choked on the shifter. Shifter in my view is a human interface issue and connects you to your vehicle more than other items...

I am looking for Hurst to put out shift for Cobra? Call me old, but all the quality shifters of years gone by were Hurst. Anybody heard anything about Hurst of late?:??:

Last edited:

Gatorac

Established Member
I had the MGW shifter. It does move the handle back however, the knob sits at a funny angle. An after market knob is almost required. I ditched the MGW handle and welded an extension on the factory handle. I then ditched the factory rubber isolators for some nice rubber washers. That took the mush out of the factor set up. Moved the handle back while retaining the factory appearance.

94SVT Coupe

Ford Fanatic
Established Member
Originally posted by beabout
Ford's supplied shifter leaves alot to be desired... I don't understand why they spent so much R&D on this ride and choked on the shifter. Shifter in my view is a human interface issue and connects you to your vehicle more than other items...

Parts bin. Same handle they been using for over a decade.

I have no problem with the angle of the shift knob, OEM or aftermarket.

itpphoto

Established Member
Hello all, the Hurst shifter for the Cobra's is due out in a few weeks, I just spoke to Hurst and they said to expect it soon. The Hurst part number is 391-5036. this is the correct number for the 6 speed. Good things come to those who wait ....

OH3Cobra

HP is my vice
Established Member
Originally posted by sloopjonb
I am 6'2" and have to have the seat all the way back and inclined some; in fact, I'd like to buy the seat rail extensions from Kenny Brown. The problem I have, once I'm comfortable, is being able to comfortably reach 1st, 3rd and 5th without leaning forward some. I have long arms, but not long enough for this stupid, too far forward shifter position. Is anybody aware of an aftermarket shifter or shift lever that brings this activity back further than stock?

I'm 6-2 as well. I highly recommend the MGW and KB seat extender kit. While the MGW does tilt it down it has given me a better reach. The KB seat extender is great. Hell you can sit in the back seat, my only complaint is that it doesn't Lower the seating position. I may look into aftermarket seats for that.

KNGOBRA

Banned
I had the MGW handle for a while but ditched it because of how noisy it was. What I'm using now is the stock handle that I heated up and bent it back and towards the driver a bunch and now it's perfect. And for the record....I haven't missed a shift yet with the stock handle!!

Here's a pic of the stock bent handle in second gear....

sloopjonb

Established Member
Re: Re: any shifter with more rearward extension?

Originally posted by OH3Cobra
I'm 6-2 as well. I highly recommend the MGW and KB seat extender kit. While the MGW does tilt it down it has given me a better reach. The KB seat extender is great. Hell you can sit in the back seat, my only complaint is that it doesn't Lower the seating position. I may look into aftermarket seats for that.

Did you install the seat rails, or did KB? Wondering if this is a difficult task.

Users who are viewing this thread