any State Highway Patrol from Dayton area here

ironpeddler

Established Member
How many cops here pull people over if there window tint is too dark or there is no front plate on the car?? Are these 2 things a big deal to you guys?? Is it worth your time to pull someone over for this and give them a ticket??

I was going north on the highway not speeding at all, a cop was going south. Other than a glancing notice I didn't think much of it. I got off of my exit and stopped to fill up some 5 gallon jugs of water to take back home, was probably there a good five mins. This popo evidently turned around on the highway, got off of my exit, saw that I was getting water, waited in the middle of the street until I pulled out of the parking lot I was in and pulled me over for no front plate and window tint lol. I mean really? He even had this window tint meter thing that he put on my window haha I mean what a joke. I have had my car for like 4-5 years same tint no front plate and never have been puller over.

Tax dollars hard at work there!!

Other than a small fine not a big deal, but I mean isn't there something more important going on or something more worth while that he should be doing than hunting me down for window tint and no front plate??

Read the rules before posting again.. This is not a place to tell us what is or is not a good law- That is up to the state legislature...so you may want to contact them to state your feelings. Moderator

Last edited by a moderator:

Lt. ZO6

Established Member
So, besides asking why an officer would do the job he/she gets paid for (enforcing laws/regulations), what is your question?

wesessiah

Established Member
basically he should be doing anything but stopping you for infractions that apply to you? did he have a radar in his car that he can verify speed with? those are also a joke. this isn't exactly the best place to get sympathy for getting citations for something you did.

Last edited:

JST A HDA

Established Member
How many cops here pull people over if there window tint is too dark or there is no front plate on the car?? Are these 2 things a big deal to you guys?? Is it worth your time to pull someone over for this and give them a ticket??

I was going north on the highway not speeding at all, a cop was going south. Other than a glancing notice I didn't think much of it. I got off of my exit and stopped to fill up some 5 gallon jugs of water to take back home, was probably there a good five mins. This popo evidently turned around on the highway, got off of my exit, saw that I was getting water, waited in the middle of the street until I pulled out of the parking lot I was in and pulled me over for no front plate and window tint lol. I mean really? He even had this window tint meter thing that he put on my window haha I mean what a joke. I have had my car for like 4-5 years same tint no front plate and never have been puller over.

Tax dollars hard at work there!!

Other than a small fine not a big deal, but I mean isn't there something more important going on or something more worth while that he should be doing than hunting me down for window tint and no front plate??

Wow. I don't even know where to begin. I am not a OSP but I do live in the Dayton "area" and a officer in Preble County.....so heres some good info for you.

ALL the officers including the OSP that pulled you over are doing their jobs. First off I highly doubt that if you were traveling North on 75 in Dayton and the OSP was traveling South on 75 that he would of pulled a U-turn to get you. Why you ask?...b/c there are 4 ft tall concrete barriers in the middle of 75 all the way through Dayton...starting from the south side in Moraine and ending ALLLLLL the way north past Troy. So.....there is no way he could of seen you didn't have a front plate while heading south and Im sure there was another OSP in the area that came across you who decided to pull you over.

The fact that you even asked that question is beyond me. Anything darker than 50% in Ohio is ILLEGAL...period! AND Ohio requires a front plate ON your vehicle.....so assuming your tint is darker than 50%...you are breaking two Ohio laws so far.

Me personally....yes I pull cars over for no front plate and tint. Not b/c I am being a dick but b/c for one that is my job and for two 75% of the time I am fishing for bigger and better things.

Im sure that you know your tint is illegal so you already know youre taking a gamble on receiving a ticket or getting pulled over.

Last edited:

Shepp1691

Established Member
/\ True, dont know how many times i stopped a car for a brake light being out or a headlight and found them to be DUS or have warrants, guess making arrests on warrants isnt what the tax payers want either.

silver03svt

Official Snowflake Melting Machine
Established Member
Guess OP is too butthurt by truth to step in again.

silver03svt

Official Snowflake Melting Machine
Established Member
How is it that all the cop cars down here have illegal tint? Must be doing their jobs.

It's been posted before....most state laws for tint have an exception for LEO vehicles. We had a HUGE debate in the DS on it not too long ago. Thanks for posting though! :beer:

94_Vert

Established Member
How dark is your tint? Most OSP's won't bug you if it's not darker then 35%. If you go darker then that there's a chance you might get dinged for it. It looks like Ohio law might be changing soon to 35% so that will help a little.

Shepp1691

Established Member
From what I understood they did change it, think section states a normal person has to be able to see through it, which would be 35%

svtcop

Pain Don't Hurt
Established Member
Wow. I don't even know where to begin. I am not a OSP but I do live in the Dayton "area" and a officer in Preble County.....so heres some good info for you.

ALL the officers including the OSP that pulled you over are doing their jobs. First off I highly doubt that if you were traveling North on 75 in Dayton and the OSP was traveling South on 75 that he would of pulled a U-turn to get you. Why you ask?...b/c there are 4 ft tall concrete barriers in the middle of 75 all the way through Dayton...starting from the south side in Moraine and ending ALLLLLL the way north past Troy. So.....there is no way he could of seen you didn't have a front plate while heading south and Im sure there was another OSP in the area that came across you who decided to pull you over.

The fact that you even asked that question is beyond me. Anything darker than 50% in Ohio is ILLEGAL...period! AND Ohio requires a front plate ON your vehicle.....so assuming your tint is darker than 50%...you are breaking two Ohio laws so far.

Me personally....yes I pull cars over for no front plate and tint. Not b/c I am being a dick but b/c for one that is my job and for two 75% of the time I am fishing for bigger and better things.

Im sure that you know your tint is illegal so you already know youre taking a gamble on receiving a ticket or getting pulled over.

Trooper probably just ramped the concrete barrier to get the OP. :rolling:

VirtualSVT

lolololololololololol
Established Member
I managed to go 3 years in Ohio with no front plate and 5% tint.

What the **** are you doing wrong OP?

svtcop

Pain Don't Hurt
Established Member
I managed to go 3 years in Ohio with no front plate and 5% tint.

What the **** are you doing wrong OP?

I got stopped on my way to work a couple of years ago in my Cobra just north of Dayton. Front plate stop. It was before I got my no drill bracket. He chuckled when he walked up and saw me sitting there in my uniform.

Dtony

Established Member
Ohio is pushing to get rid of the front license plate law. It "seems" to me like since this has been proposed there has been more focus on the issue. The law officials for local, county and state are fighting the change. However the state is pushing for it due to an annual cost savings. All Ohio border states dont require a front plate, so it will most likely get pushed through.

I was stopped for a front plate violation and given a warning a year or so ago. However the state trooper never mentioned my front window tint of 35%. I think not running a front plate is most likely what got the OP noticed.

JST A HDA

Established Member
Ohio is pushing to get rid of the front license plate law. It "seems" to me like since this has been proposed there has been more focus on the issue. The law officials for local, county and state are fighting the change. However the state is pushing for it due to an annual cost savings. All Ohio border states dont require a front plate, so it will most likely get pushed through.

I was stopped for a front plate violation and given a warning a year or so ago. However the state trooper never mentioned my front window tint of 35%. I think not running a front plate is most likely what got the OP noticed.

If they wanns save money then Ohio needs to stop changing the damn plate themes and colors. They just changed the plate look again.

Users who are viewing this thread