Any tuners out there that are not afraid to tune anymore?

04mach17

Established Member
I am so fed up with this tuning issue. I have now tried to tune with 4 tuners and they refuse to communicate and/or work with me! Guess we can call this a rant but I have run out of options and the only thing I can think if is that they all now perfer the easy money. Some 2014 mustang with a cold air is cheap easy money for them. Why put extra time and effort into tuning older cars that have more modifications!

First I was going to use Bob Kurgan, I emailed him. Asked what mass air he perfer I run, he said HPX slot style MAF and if I order it from him that he will do my remote tuning with SVS R&D's dyno for $350(plus I pay dyno time) so I agree. He was quick to take my money for the parts and emailed very fast when It came to that. At that time I said that I would like to get a base tune for my car so the car would fire up and drive to the dyno. NO REPLY. Ok so I wait till the car is nearing completion and possibly gonna start soon. Email again asking for a "BASE TUNE", still NO REPLY! This was may! Then I email a few days ago asking what he wants from me, I'm willing to pay seperately for a BASE TUNE or pay the $350 now and he can send one and we can set a dyno date! . He replies with, "last email I have from you was MAY, are you trying to say that I am avoiding you? Who's tune is in the car now?" So I email back and say no tune is in the car, it runs super rich. I wanna break in the motor on a 91 octane tune before the final tune with E85. NO REPLY.

Other options I tried. Emailed and called and left Shaun at AED a message. Have not heard anything back. This was recent. Hope he gets back to me.

Another local guy I worked with for a while was going to help me out, I emailed him some datalogs of my car at idle but he said the only way he can tune it is for me to mail my handheld tuner to him, then he would mail it back. That makes no sense to me, all tunes can be sent through email nowadays. Plus if the tune is off, I don't have time to constantly send my tuner back and forth till it is. That just won't work for me, I am leaving the name of this company out because they are good people to deal with, good customer service. Just not gonna work for me.

Last option I have is amazon racing, I have been doing remote tunes since 2008 with them. Email back and forth tunes and datalogs. Every tune has always been spot on. But I did email last week and nothing sent back yet. Maybe everyone is super busy. I will continue to try this route. I see they are no longer a paid supporter on this site. Not sure what happened with that.

ANY OTHER OPTIONS OUT THERE?

Last edited:

ugotbit03

4.6 ways to waste money
Established Member
http://www.lasotaracing.com/MOPRP.html

Get the PRP, DVD and book for $450

Get a wideband, and get tuning!

Don will provide support and a base tune if you buy the PRP from him.

Remote tuning sucks. I've had a few good experiences and more bad doing it. I've used big name tuners and have had horrible experiences and then they just ignore you when they can't tune the car.

I give a lot of credit to remote tuners that actually do it. To me, you need the car in front of you to see what it's doing because getting information via email or over the phone is hit and miss.

Best thing I ever did was buy the PRP, not saying I know what the hell I'm doing, but I don't have to deal with the egos anymore.

DSG2NV03

MUST HAVE BOOST!!!
Established Member
http://www.lasotaracing.com/MOPRP.html

Get the PRP, DVD and book for $450

Get a wideband, and get tuning!

Don will provide support and a base tune if you buy the PRP from him.

Remote tuning sucks. I've had a few good experiences and more bad doing it. I've used big name tuners and have had horrible experiences and then they just ignore you when they can't tune the car.

I give a lot of credit to remote tuners that actually do it. To me, you need the car in front of you to see what it's doing because getting information via email or over the phone is hit and miss.

Best thing I ever did was buy the PRP, not saying I know what the hell I'm doing, but I don't have to deal with the egos anymore.

+1 No one cares more about your car then you do. It isn't hard, but does take some time and learning. I went through two motor because of two very very well known tuners.

mrose75

Established Member
I'm looking for a tune at the moment as well. I had Amazon tuning going with my ported eaton, but progress in getting the tune dialed in was slow. I didn't have an A/F so I constantly had to run back and forth to the tuner to check the A/F ratio. Then I'd datalog and yada yada. Halfway through I moved and went to Afghanistan for 8 months. By the time I got back I had a 2.3 Whipple waiting in the garage. I emailed Amazon with no response to my questions. Then I read about him being dropped from SVTP and all the encompassing drama revolving around that. So I wrote them off. I was them offered a tune free of charge. But between school, work, and family it took me a while to get the install done. I finally finished up two weeks ago and am having a hard time making progress on a tune. In the tuners defense, I did take a long time getting my end set up, and I can't really rush someone doing me a favor. But I'm at the point where I would just rather pay for a tune and be done with it. I'm considering a remote tune through VMP because I'm in the middle of nowhere and to drive to a reputable tuner just isn't practical in any sense of the word. I just want to drive my car. It haven't really be able to drive it in over two years between the eaton then Whipple swap, the move, and 8 months in Afghanistan. In a few more weeks I'll be forced to wait until next year due to winter. Patience is a virtue when dealing with remote tuning.

98 Saleen Cobra

Established Member
Shaun will get back to you.. He was super busy yesterday at the shop, I know because I had to stop by there.. I'd be willing to bet by tomorrow he gets back to you. :)

Also stay very VERY far away from Amazon.. Just search on svtp.. They went down the drain hence why they aren't a supporting vendor anymore

Weather Man

Persistance Is A Bitch
Established Member
But does he still do the earlier cars? I hit him up about my car and he didn't seem interested. I know the guys on S197 love him. He does a good job with those cars.

I know he got back from vacation today. I'll pop him a PM.

cj428mach

Established Member
I really hope you didn't go with Amazon again OP. I feel bad for you as you mention getting screwed by unresponsive tuners and as a last ditch effort you were going to try Amazon...the most unresponsive, excuse filled tuner on the planet.

Do yourself a favor and talk to Don Lasota. Either go with the PRP and self tune or pay him to give you a tune. I've done the self tuning and am very happy with it, a friend went with a mail order tune and was tickled to death with customer service on it.

Nightmare302

OhChuteRacing Owner
Established Member
I was in the same boat, after waiting months/weeks from the big names to return emails/calls I just decided to order the PRP kit. Don called me while he was on vacation to make sure I got everything entered correctly for my base tune and had my base tune/sct dongle and all information out in a few days WHILE he was on vacation. Can't say enough about how much that impressed me.

itzl0l

Angry Bald Man
Established Member
1+ for tuning yourself. Its not as hard as it sounds. Get with Don and he'll get ya setup and going!

mrose75

Established Member
I really hope you didn't go with Amazon again OP. I feel bad for you as you mention getting screwed by unresponsive tuners and as a last ditch effort you were going to try Amazon...the most unresponsive, excuse filled tuner on the planet.

Do yourself a favor and talk to Don Lasota. Either go with the PRP and self tune or pay him to give you a tune. I've done the self tuning and am very happy with it, a friend went with a mail order tune and was tickled to death with customer service on it.

Turn around on mail order tune?

jpplaw

Established Member
When I ordered my PRP from Don, I had a starter tune before the end of that same day. Granted, it's a bare bones tune but its still damned quick.

cj428mach

Established Member
Turn around on mail order tune?

I think Don was getting back to my friend the same day most of the time if not with in 24hrs for sure. My friend also had his start n charge alternator go out, so he sent that back and had his blower lock up during a datalog. Don was nice enough to put the process on hold for a month until his car was running again and they began revising again. I think he even got a response during the weekend of July the 4th.

When I first emailed Don a question about the PRP software it was on a saturday. I had a response later that day. We emailed back and forth a half a dozen times during the rest of the weekend. I ordered my PRP software that Monday, and had the base tune sitting in my email account that same day. That was back in the spring time and if I email Don with a question I still get great customer service. I just sent Don an email the friday before labor day asking a question about tuning cold starts for e85, i had a response within 1 hour. You never had that kind of service from places like Amazon, lol.

Last edited:

mrose75

Established Member
I think Don was getting back to my friend the same day most of the time if not with in 24hrs for sure. My friend also had his start n charge alternator go out, so he sent that back and had his blower lock up during a datalog. Don was nice enough to put the process on hold for a month until his car was running again and they began revising again. I think he even got a response during the weekend of July the 4th.

When I first emailed Don a question about the PRP software it was on a saturday. I had a response later that day. We emailed back and forth a half a dozen times during the rest of the weekend. I ordered my PRP software that Monday, and had the base tune sitting in my email account that same day. That was back in the spring time and if I email Don with a question I still get great customer service. I just sent Don an email the friday before labor day asking a question about tuning cold starts for e85, i had a response within 1 hour. You never had that kind of service from places like Amazon, lol.

I emailed him last night and had a response by 6:30 this morning. Replied and had another response within the hour. I like what I'm seeing with Don. Add in you're experiences with him and I think I'm set. I don't trust myself nor can I justify the need for PRP, but if I did I'd go with that. Thanks for the tip!

Edit: Already have a base tune in my inbox. 3 hours later. Awesome! :banana:

OP, might be an option for you.

Last edited by a moderator:

DSG2NV03

MUST HAVE BOOST!!!
Established Member
I emailed him last night and had a response by 6:30 this morning. Replied and had another response within the hour. I like what I'm seeing with Don. Add in you're experiences with him and I think I'm set. I don't trust myself nor can I justify the need for PRP, but if I did I'd go with that. Thanks for the tip!

You can email him with all kinds of questions and he answers most of the time within the hour. It is well worth the money! Happy Tuning!

cj428mach

Established Member

Glad to hear it, you wont regret it.

Users who are viewing this thread