Any Turbo'd GT500's Yet?

Subzero

Established Member
Are there any companies making a kit for our cars yet? Thinkg of heading over to the dark side and doing twins! :beer:

Streetpwr281

Established Member
I thought about going turbo but decided on Whipple 3.4L instead. The Whipple or KB's are such a compact package and make more power when maximized than the chassis can handle for a streetcar. Not unusual to see 750rwhp/700rwtq from a full tilt KB 2.8 or Whipple 3.4L GT-500 on pump gas with all the tricks. The tuning is less of an issue and underhood heat is much less of an issue compared to the Turbos. Not to mention making returning to stock simpler if you ever needed to in the future.

I'm sure you can make some wicked peak hp number with turbos but doubt the car will be much faster in a useble capacity. And doubt it would run/drive as pleasantly for cruising or daily usage.

Just my opinion.

chuckstang

Established Member
huh
I thought turbos caused much less heat or at least brought in much cooler air?

Also there is no pulley so no added power to turn the blower IE more power at the crank with a turbo.

If you are looking for big, safe power, I really don't understand how you could turn down a pair of twins. Well assuming money is no object.

Streetpwr281

Established Member
Two turbos both have hot exhaust gas plumbed to them from the cylinder heads which largely occurs underhood somewhere. The turbos themselves are typically underhood (or in front bumper cover area) and produce alot of heat. All of this is extra plumbing/hardware that you don't need with a Whipple/KB car as the blower sets right between the heads on top of the motor in a compact package.

I've spoken to several guys who have or have had turbo "streetcars" and most never were happy with them even if they made big power. Typically tuning is a PITA and/or heat underhood is an issue and/or working on the car is a PITA due to all the plumbing running everywhere.

This is why I've never personally elected to build one either with my GT-500 or 93' LX Coupe I'm building. Don't get me wrong, turbos make huge power, but I just do not feel the power is worth the inherent issues.

19COBRA93

Tire shredder
Established Member
I've owned several turbo cars, and have helped build several others. Properly setup, heat is not an issue (under the hood or otherwise), and tuning is no different than that of any other power adder (assuming the tuner has atleast a little experience), and the power us unmatched.

Anyone who was not satisfied with a turbo mustang, didn't have it setup right.

I agree, a Whipple is a nice, easy package and a better option for most because of it's simplicity. However, properly setup (that's the key), a turbo mustang can be a very reliable, and frighteningly fast driver.

Buckman

Established Member
I have a 4.0 V6 that had the PowerHouse intercooled turbo on it. Ran a best of 11.02 @ 126, but decided to go in another direction.
Swapping in a GT500 engine, 4r70 trans and PowerHouse is using the car to come out with a GT500 turbo kit utilizing a 70mm Precision Turbo, Tial Wastegate, Stainless Works tubing, etc...
We anticipate the car running low 10's out of the box and as soon as the driver mod adjusts to the car and improves, then 9's will be easily attainable.
PowerHouse will then be offering a kit package for the GT500's from there.
There is a lot of misconceptions of turbo technology out there, I can only advise people to really do their homework, take any forum advice with a grain of salt, and call up the shops that support us racers for their advice as well.

Ry_Trapp0

Condom Model
Established Member
if you really want to turbo your GT500, take to roswell, new mexico to HP performance. those guys are pretty much #1 as far as turbo mustangs go.
http://www.hpperformance.com/
plus, if your the first GT500(or first of any car) then you'll get free dyno time with them.

you had a turbo 4.0? ive been thinking of going that route. how much would a solid 500HP engine cost? i know i would need to replace the 7.5 with an 8.8. im not sure if i want to go with a turbo 4.0 for lower weight and a little better weight distribution(would like to do some open tracking) or just go the cheaper route with a turbo GT running about 450hp.

Last edited:

19COBRA93

Tire shredder
Established Member
Buckman said:
There is a lot of misconceptions of turbo technology out there...take any forum advice with a grain of salt
This can't be more true. There are a lot of myths out there, and a lot of "I heard", or "my buddy's..", so I strongly suggest taking advice, or getting info from those who have actual experience.

Streetpwr281

Established Member
All good info. I did speak to actual Turbo car owners before forming my impression of Turbo streetcars. Not race cars that occasionally see the street but cars that actually idle in traffic, run the AC regularly, etc. One was a magazine feature car owner making 900rwhp who also runs a nationally recognized shop in the SE. He said the power can be finicky and needs constant adjustment based on air temps/humidity,etc. Unless your a tuner or have direct and frequent access to your tuner the Turbo is likely not your power adder of choice.

If your going turbo just use the best turbo shops and reinforce with them that your building a streetcar that should be easily capable of idling w/AC on and part-throttle driving. Sometimes everyone gets carried away chasing some big impressive peak HP number and they create a car they hate to drive in the process. Just be cautious and do your research.

Ry_Trapp0

Condom Model
Established Member
there must be a few terminator guys around here running the HPP(or similar) turbo kit, we need them to chime in.

Rygen

if you really want to turbo your GT500, take to roswell, new mexico to HP performance. those guys are pretty much #1 as far as turbo mustangs go.
http://www.hpperformance.com/
plus, if your the first GT500(or first of any car) then you'll get free dyno time with them.

you had a turbo 4.0? ive been thinking of going that route. how much would a solid 500HP engine cost? i know i would need to replace the 7.5 with an 8.8. im not sure if i want to go with a turbo 4.0 for lower weight and a little better weight distribution(would like to do some open tracking) or just go the cheaper route with a turbo GT running about 450hp.

I had a 4.0 similar to buckmans as we are team mates at the track and go to the same performance shop. Mine was slightly different as I had a built block, pistons, bearings, fasteners, polished crank, heads, cams valve springs, the works (complete mod list here: http://www.mustangcollective.com/vbgarage.php?do=view&id=2 )

Like buckman, I had mine juiced on top of the turbo. I was running 17psi, and a 75 shot of nitrous that on a dynojet, put me at 535rwhp and 600rwtq. I ran 11.1's all day long with no effort at the line, and got a 10.97 out of the car building boost at the line. Unfortunately I threw a rod through my built block back on Oct 15th at MIR (personal track rental).

Like him, I'm going the 5.4 route, though I'm going to go with the 3V and build it up later in the season.

On the 4.0, I would replace the pistons as I was running stock pistons. You will also run into transmission problems as there are not many options out there due to the input shaft and the motor not being a mod motor. I did have the car up to 23lbs of boost with race gas on the dyno, which made similar power to the 17psi/75 shot. I never got to run that setup, but I wish I did as I'm betting it would have been less of a hit on the motor, and might have lasted a little longer.

5PTSLO

WFO Racing!!
Established Member
My turbo GT-500 is already being finished and tuned as we speak. THere is a post with some pics and info as well in the pics and video section on this site. should be picking it up tomorrow

Ry_Trapp0

Condom Model
Established Member
I had a 4.0 similar to buckmans as we are team mates at the track and go to the same performance shop. Mine was slightly different as I had a built block, pistons, bearings, fasteners, polished crank, heads, cams valve springs, the works (complete mod list here: http://www.mustangcollective.com/vbgarage.php?do=view&id=2 )

Like buckman, I had mine juiced on top of the turbo. I was running 17psi, and a 75 shot of nitrous that on a dynojet, put me at 535rwhp and 600rwtq. I ran 11.1's all day long with no effort at the line, and got a 10.97 out of the car building boost at the line. Unfortunately I threw a rod through my built block back on Oct 15th at MIR (personal track rental).

Like him, I'm going the 5.4 route, though I'm going to go with the 3V and build it up later in the season.

On the 4.0, I would replace the pistons as I was running stock pistons. You will also run into transmission problems as there are not many options out there due to the input shaft and the motor not being a mod motor. I did have the car up to 23lbs of boost with race gas on the dyno, which made similar power to the 17psi/75 shot. I never got to run that setup, but I wish I did as I'm betting it would have been less of a hit on the motor, and might have lasted a little longer.
hhmmm, the 4.6 sounds like a much easier route. sounds like you need to be dedicated to building a 4.0l car if your really going to, and sounds expensive too. i think i may just pickup a truck and shove a good lift under it anyways.

great numbers though! have any videos of your car(or buckmans)? love the sound of a turbo 6 cylinder!
My turbo GT-500 is already being finished and tuned as we speak. THere is a post with some pics and info as well in the pics and video section on this site. should be picking it up tomorrow
cool! its about time we have a turbo 500! been waiting to see one of these forever!

2K4VENM

Setn off Ur Car Alarm!
Established Member

Looking nice! Good luck with it!

Fourcam330

Established Member

Who did the work, and what size turbo?

Users who are viewing this thread