Any VirtualBox gurus in the house?

TJSwoboda

Established Member
I'm trying to run a VHD file (clocking in at a slim 121 GB) of my old XP system in VirtualBox. The host system is an AMD 8350 eight core on an ASUS M5A99X motherboard, with 16 gigs of RAM. As you can see below, I'm dedicating four processor cores and plenty of RAM to the VM, but every time I start it the XP logo briefly displays as it boots, then the VM blue screens and resets.

My old host system would choke on this VHD file and crash. I don't have this problem now, but something about the VM isn't working. Any ideas as to what I should be doing differently?

XPVM1.jpg

XPVM2.jpg

pho_phizzat

Dapper as ****
Established Member
What happens if you use just 2 cores?

I don't know anything about Virtualbox but I do use VMware everyday.

offroadkarter

Professional S***poster
Established Member
When I used to use VirtualBox in college I tried running it off my laptop and it wouldn't run because that wasn't powerful enough (or that was my guess anyways) . Although in your situation I fail to see how that is the case.

edit: I see you said the VM bluescreens, not the host computer. Whoops! Chalk that up to me just waking up from a nap 5 minutes ago.

Can you post a screenshot of the bluescreen message so we can see what error codes its throwing?

My desktop is windows 7 with a AMD 6 core processor and 16 gigs of ram. here is how I have my windows 2008 R2 server configured

rewwwwwqw.JPG
sssssss.JPG

Have you tried the obvious of hitting up google for results on similar problems?

What does it default to if you make a new VM, and have you tried the default settings?

Last edited:

TJSwoboda

Established Member
I don't see an option for PATA under storage, only: IDE, SATA, SCSI, SAS, or floppy. Haven't had any luck on Google searches/existing threads on VM forums.

Can you post a screenshot of the bluescreen message so we can see what error codes its throwing?
It comes up for only a split second, and this is the best I could get:
VMBSoD.jpg

Last edited:

wallie40

Established Member
I would assume that your old XP instance is a 32bit version? You are going to have to find a a storage device that works for you.

To make it work, open your VirtualBox, and in the settings check if the VHD was attached as SATA or SCSI. If yes, remove this controller (SATA or SCSI) and attach the VHD to an IDE Controller. Make sure the hard disk is the IDE Primary Slave.

See if that helps.

-Paul

wallie40

Established Member
Also if the old system was built using a raid controller you will have to delete all of the controllers in VB and just add a plain IDE as suggested above.

Users who are viewing this thread