Any way to lower the seat further?

TheJeanyus

Established Member
Maybe I'm just shaped weird, but to me it seems like the seat needs to sit about an inch or maybe 2 inches lower than the lowest position for me to be comfortable. Has anyone done this? I want to keep my stock seats and all of the adjustability, I just wonder if there is some way to drop the seat down a little.

Thanks. :beer:

ChicagoMike

Modification Addict
Established Member
It's how the mustang is. I've sat in other cars like the camaro and firebird and it's low. That's why driving a stang feels a bit like a truck. Booo.

cobra04972tx1

HP, U CAN'T HAVE 2 MUCH
Established Member
I have the same issue. My 96 seats sat lower, a good 1/2 to 3/4 inch lower. I wonder if it has anything to do with the seat rails? But I know that was my first comment when I got the 03, was damn these seats won't go down far enough, the steering wheel hits my thighs. I have to drop it down, and move the seat back a little farther than I'd like to get it comfortable.

99SVTcobraVERT

when i first sat in my 04 i had just got out of my old 01 cobra and it was THE first thing i noticed. ive got adjusted to it now but in in the beginning it was very uncomfortable... subscribing...

FaYgOkRiS

SVT BOSS 570
Established Member
Cut em off and weld in some custom brackets, I did this with my sparco's , damn near sit on the floor, lol.

whyte_03

I got your HEMI hanging!!
Established Member
i pulled mine off 2 weeks ago.. there is a plastic type fitting on a rod... undo the nuts on each side of it and adjust it to go lower.. i actually raised mine up just a lil more.. put it back together and love it.. i took my seat out because it has play and thought it was my seat to braket bolts.. nope.. it is the metal fixed bushings at the pivot points.. freakin sucks

traktrbeam

Oh Noes!
Established Member
Premium Member
whyte_03 said:
i pulled mine off 2 weeks ago.. there is a plastic type fitting on a rod... undo the nuts on each side of it and adjust it to go lower.. i actually raised mine up just a lil more.. put it back together and love it.. i took my seat out because it has play and thought it was my seat to braket bolts.. nope.. it is the metal fixed bushings at the pivot points.. freakin sucks

Pics of what you are describing please?

TheJeanyus

Established Member
ChicagoMike said:
It's how the mustang is. I've sat in other cars like the camaro and firebird and it's low. That's why driving a stang feels a bit like a truck. Booo.
All Mustangs aren't as bad as '03/'04 Cobras. My '98 GT seats sat MUCH lower, and my friend's '01 Cobra sits a little lower. I'm only 5' 11" and with the seat all the way down I still hit my head when I turn to the left to look out the window (combination of the tall seat and the curved headliner).

WHT03SVTCOLO

Established Member
whyte_03 said:

I'm 6'2" so the seating is terriable. So I took my seat out to see if I could perform this mod. The plastic piece you can only lower a couple turns hardly worth the effort of pulling out these rediculously heavy seats. The mechinzm rotates on a bar in which you would have to cut part of the metal mounting bracket to be able to rotate further down...

pny_xtc

Established Member
I too have have found the seat uncomfortable. When I wear my helmet at the track, I hit the headliner! My 98' GT seats sat much lower. I was actually thinking about putting in a manual seat track to see if that helps. If thats still not low enough, I can always cut the ears off and weld them back on in a lower position.

ViciousJay

Established Member
so what another options are there...??? :shrug: racing seats... im 6'3 and i hate that my head hits the roof :(

ChicagoMike

Modification Addict
Established Member
Racing seats and seat rails. That's it. They sell rails to make the seats go BACK farther, but now down. The stock seats and rails are naturally a little high.

Gladiator said:
so what another options are there...??? :shrug: racing seats... im 6'3 and i hate that my head hits the roof :(

TheJeanyus

Established Member
klarkent42 said:
http://www.mustangworld.com/ourpics/fcar/recline.htm

this a how to on how to have a full recline on the seats for newer mustangs. I did this in about a half an hour and I can recline the seats all the way now. You're probably going to have to remove the "bunny ears" for the seat belts (i prefer them not on). Check it out though.
The issue isn't reclining. I don't really have any use for reclining the seats all the way back. It's a car seat, not a Lazy Boy. :-D

The issue is the height of the seat relative to the floor. I hate hitting my head on the trim above the door and rubbing my legs on the steering column.

WHT03SVTCOLO

Established Member
TheJeanyus said:
The issue isn't reclining. I don't really have any use for reclining the seats all the way back. It's a car seat, not a Lazy Boy. :-D

The issue is the height of the seat relative to the floor. I hate hitting my head on the trim above the door and rubbing my legs on the steering column.
I did buy the seat extenders to keep my knee from rubbing the steering wheel which help a bunch but it still comes down to the seat height. I need to re-look at the seat track to see if there is a way to modify it...

Users who are viewing this thread