Any XBox Live nerds? Need help

SoBlue4.6

Established Member
Ok, I got the sudden urge to go out and buy XBox Live since I couldn't have it back home because of no broadband connection. But I was wondering if I could hook it up in my dorm room now? The dorm has an ethernet connection, I'm not sure how this would work because I don't really know about Live or how to hook it up. I know some guys told me they play Live in the dorm, but I don't know where they are. Anyone have any ideas?

slowbra001

**** a Ford
Established Member
buy an ethernet cable and hook up to a router or directly to the modem. the instructions are also on the xbox live starter kit box. if that still doesn't work....xboxlive.com or something similar to that. i get a better/faster connection when i hooked the ethernet cable directly to the modem. only downside is you can't be on live and on internet at the same time. if you want to be able to use the internet AND xbox live buy router, wireless is even better.

moddestmike

2 Degrees/Still Confused
Established Member
I know many dorms put bandwidth limits on the ports in the rooms. You usually have to request to get it "unlocked" but if you are already able to connect via your ethernet port to the web then you should not have any problems. The standard settings on your xbox are to detect the DNS address and whatnot automatically so you shouldn't have to touch anything. Make sure your console is off, connect you E cable and then power it on. Let it detect the settings and you should be good to go, if not you will have to manually configure the IP and DNS. Goodluck and my handle is
-moddestmike-

mto925

Established Member
My school has this security program you have to log into when you connect to the internet. I wraped a ethernet cable around my room into the xbox and got the mac address of the xbox and told the people that run all the computer stuff and they allowed my xbox to connect to their internet.

SoBlue4.6

Established Member
Awesome, thanks guys! I think I may go down to the Best Buy here and ask to see if they know any of the specifics on the dorms here because I know some of them go to college here.

But one more question? I have to unplug my ethernet connection from my wall to my computer to hook the XBox to the computer right?

If so, can I just use the same Ethernet cable to plug in the XBox to the computer?

Thanks again

SQ Stang

I'm an SIT WOO WOO
Established Member
Yes you can use that cable. The only thing is, when you disconnect it from the xbox or from the computer and switch the two, you have to unplug your cable modem for about 30 seconds for it to reset. So it's kind of a hassle but it's all worth it. :)

SoBlue4.6

Established Member
Awesome I see. So all I really need is the Starter Kit and I'll be good to go. Prolly gonna make a trip to Best Buy after lunch. Hope to see you guys on sometime.

Thanks.

Users who are viewing this thread