Anybody Ever...???

03 Whippled Cobra

Established Member
Sell their Cobra and just completely, utterly, totally, regret it???

I got an offer on my car the other day (out of the blue), a pretty decent one, and it's tough to turn it down in this market, especially when I could get rid of a car payment and use the extra money to do other things. I'm torn! Anybody have first hand experience on this situation??? :beer:

Mike

rotor_powerd

Established Member
Premium Member
Never been in that position, but I can say that if someone came up and made me a decent offer, enough to pay off the car and pocket some change, I would hand them the keys right there.

There will always be more Cobras..... I'd probably turn right around and buy a twin screw car for less than I paid for mine.

03 Whippled Cobra

Established Member
Well it would definitely pay off the car, and my other car actually. So I am very tempted to just pull the trigger. Didn't know if anyone else regretted selling their Cobras though. I do love the car, but money is money!

F8LBITEva

Alexis Texas' #1 fan
Established Member
yeah dude. I regretted selling mine and about a year later I found a deal so I got another one. If you love your car keep it, but a sacrifice now can pay off later.

IronTerp

Mid-Atlantic Cobra Assoc.
Mike, this has actually happened a TON of times. There's been plenty of folks that have sold their Terminators only to turn around and buy another one at some point. These are probably the most addicting cars in history!

It's such a buyers market right now, that if you're being offered an above market price, you probably should consider it. You can always get another one. And for MUCH cheaper most likely. However, your Cobra is absolutely spectacular and it would be tough duplicating what you have now. If your car was my Cobra, I would probably hang onto it........

N2DAMYSTIC

WAS THERE A BILL OF SALE
Established Member
Plenty of MACA Peeps that did and got right back in. I am closing in on a business opportunity that may force the sale of mine. No matter though because I know I will get another one, or a fox / terminator conversion. We'll see but it may be up for grabs soon. Just busy researching something.

03 Whippled Cobra

Established Member
Mike, this has actually happened a TON of times. There's been plenty of folks that have sold their Terminators only to turn around and buy another one at some point. These are probably the most addicting cars in history!

It's such a buyers market right now, that if you're being offered an above market price, you probably should consider it. You can always get another one. And for MUCH cheaper most likely. However, your Cobra is absolutely spectacular and it would be tough duplicating what you have now. If your car was my Cobra, I would probably hang onto it........

Thanks for the compliment on the car. I do love it. However, it would be nice to have zero car payments! This deal would allow me to pay off the Explorer as well. It is hard to pass that option up. I know I would miss the car but who says I can't turn right around and buy another 03/04 below market value and start all over??? lol

Plenty of MACA Peeps that did and got right back in. I am closing in on a business opportunity that may force the sale of mine. No matter though because I know I will get another one, or a fox / terminator conversion. We'll see but it may be up for grabs soon. Just busy researching something.

I had a feeling people missed them enough to get right back in. That is my dilemma. I would love to have no car payments and then be able to decide where to go from there. Maybe an old Notch that is completely built? Such a tough call!

Last edited:

sunburned

I miss my torque
Established Member
How long have you had that car, Mike? After having my GT for 3 years and building it up from nothing, I sold it on a whim because I was infatuated with offroading. I totally regretted it. Even after buying my integra, I wanted the GT back and tried to buy it back only 6 months after I sold it.

With everything you have done on your car, I say hold onto it. If the offer is really that good and puts you that far ahead financially, you might be better off selling it. Just think though, how much would it cost if you bought another car and built it up faster than this one?

03 Whippled Cobra

Established Member
How long have you had that car, Mike? After having my GT for 3 years and building it up from nothing, I sold it on a whim because I was infatuated with offroading. I totally regretted it. Even after buying my integra, I wanted the GT back and tried to buy it back only 6 months after I sold it.

With everything you have done on your car, I say hold onto it. If the offer is really that good and puts you that far ahead financially, you might be better off selling it. Just think though, how much would it cost if you bought another car and built it up faster than this one?

I have had the car 2 years now. And I totally understand all of the positives and negatives to selling. I could never rebuild my car for what it is selling for. But, I expected to take a loss at some point if I ever decided to sell.

Lets put it this way. Cobra + Explorer payment = $560/mo (not to mention insurance)

After sale, Mike's monthly car payments = $0

Just a way to free up some good money each month. I'm sure I will miss it, and I wouldn't mind getting back in the game in a few months for way cheaper than what I pay now. Guess I am trying to think financially and not with my emotions towards the car. There are other cars, right? lol

I think the modding part is most of the fun for me.

Last edited:

96n03Cobra

Kenne screwed me
Established Member
Since you don't want a car payment, financially it's a no brainer. You just have to figure out if you can live without it. Like you and everyone else said, you can always get another one and mod it up. Good luck man, that's a tough decision! You won't feel good when the keys are in someone else's hands and you see the back for the last time.

Mustang289

Established Member
Mike:

I'm new to this forum as I recently purchased an 04 Mystichrome terminator. I was in a similar situation many years ago with my 66 Fastback, loved the car, built it up. Financially we had to sell it, even though it was the right decision my wife and I still to this day regret that decision.

The pro side is like you say zero car payments and your explorer is paid off. You can save the money from this and get back in the terminator game with a fully paid off daily driver explorer.

We all love the journey of building up the cars, you noted this in your posts. Sounds like you would be in better financial position to build a car with a zero payment daily driver.

I want to share with you a little about my story to re-enforce there really is life after selling your pride and joy, if you decide to. In my case we currently have two stangs in our household. My son came to me when he was 16 and asked, "Dad would you be interested in building a Mustang with me". This currently is a badass 88GT currently knocking down 500 rwhp, soon to be 650-700 rwhp.

Good luck with your decision!

TDoh

Torquey Pig
Established Member
Hasn't EVERYBODY regretted it? I can't think of anybody that's said "I'm so glad I sold my Cobra."

I dunno Mike. If you sell it, then buy another one, then start building it up, you might be spending just as much per month. Or maybe even more, judging by your mod history!

sunburned

I miss my torque
Established Member
The modding part is right though. I guess one of the main reasons why I regret selling my GT is because it wasn't done. There was so much else I could have done to it if I kept it. That and the convertible thing. I reeeeally miss having a vert.

03 Whippled Cobra

Established Member
Everyone makes some very valid points here. I think I had my mind set on selling because of the financial benefit, even though I don't NEED to sell. I was really looking to see if anyone just felt that it was a true mistake to get rid of their car. And Tim, I had a feeling that no one ever told themselves "thanks god I got rid of that piece of crap"!...lol

It is tough to turn down an offer that would save me over $600/mo. I know I would miss the car and probably want to get back into an 03/04 at some point in the future, but again I could probably do that for way less in this market and still get to do the fun part, MODDING! However, my goal wasn't to just sell and get right back into another 03/04 immeditaely, that would be silly. I hear houses and interests rates are prety low these days. Maybe the money could be better spent on another one of those...:beer:

zaxjax

The Detailed Image
Established Member
I sold my and regret it everyday. I was at a car meet last night and was pissed because I didn't have the Cobra!

Cookieman00x

Drunk Again.
Established Member
Sell yours and then you can look for an awsome deal... One day youll see a great deal on another if you do regret it.

FISHTAIL

Will Work For Mods
Established Member
I dunno, if someone walked up to me and offered me a good chunk of change for mine, it'd be gone. Having said that, I know I'd take a little time to pay down some other bills, then turn around and get another one.

In fact, I was supposed to do that with my first one (the redfire vert) but ended up agreeing to buy the one I have now before the one I just sold had been gone 15 minutes. Thanks a lot Charles. lol.

As long as you can afford the payments you have, then there is no harm done either way. It's simply a matter of what you think would make you happier. Spending the money every month and having the car, or, having the money in your pocket each month and not having it.

As I said, if someone offered me over market for my car, I'd sell it in a second. Of course, I also have another toy in the garage that I could then devote more time/funds towards with it gone so...its easy for me to say.

03 Whippled Cobra

Established Member
I sold my and regret it everyday. I was at a car meet last night and was pissed because I didn't have the Cobra!

There is no doubt I would miss it. I already know that. but the extra would allow me to do so many other things so that sort of balances it out.

Sell yours and then you can look for an awsome deal... One day youll see a great deal on another if you do regret it.

This is the way I am thinking. I had my fun with the car. I can sell it, free up some money and eventually get back into "something" with an awesome deal.

I dunno, if someone walked up to me and offered me a good chunk of change for mine, it'd be gone. Having said that, I know I'd take a little time to pay down some other bills, then turn around and get another one.

In fact, I was supposed to do that with my first one (the redfire vert) but ended up agreeing to buy the one I have now before the one I just sold had been gone 15 minutes. Thanks a lot Charles. lol.

As long as you can afford the payments you have, then there is no harm done either way. It's simply a matter of what you think would make you happier. Spending the money every month and having the car, or, having the money in your pocket each month and not having it.

As I said, if someone offered me over market for my car, I'd sell it in a second. Of course, I also have another toy in the garage that I could then devote more time/funds towards with it gone so...its easy for me to say.

It's tough to turn down a cash offer on your car. I did put a lot of work into it, or money I should say, but there are always others cars to buy and play around with. I used to say the same thing, if someone gave me a good offer I'd sell the car in a heartbeat...Well, that is easier said than done apparently. The extra money each month is a great incentive, however...

Users who are viewing this thread