Anybody know anything about stereos?

32ValveRom

Don't mess with Teksids
Established Member
First off, Idk diddly about stereos and sound systems. Basically, I just purchased a jvc stereo for my '99 to go with the two 12" subs and Alpine amp I have. I ended up having a friend help me with the install but right now the amp comes on but we can't get it to bump the subs in the trunk. I ended up making a few adjustments to the amp and stereo settings which caused the subs to work a little bit but not as loud as they're supposed to. This also caused the speakers inside the car to throw out alot more bass but I'm thinking it's over-stressing those factory speakers. I'm thinking there should be a way to transfer all the bass to the trunk so that it doesn't cause the inside speakers too much stress.

Anyone know what's going on here. Another friend told me that it may be the remote wire that's connecting the stereo to the amp.:shrug:

BlackVenom99

Established Member
If the amp is on it's not your remote wire.
Do you have rca's ran from the headunit to the amplifier, or is it tapped into the speaker wires?
I would verify the settings on the headunit, and turn the gain on the amp to match the output of the headunit.

32ValveRom

Don't mess with Teksids
Established Member
If the amp is on it's not your remote wire.
Do you have rca's ran from the headunit to the amplifier, or is it tapped into the speaker wires?
I would verify the settings on the headunit, and turn the gain on the amp to match the output of the headunit.

Yes, I have RCAs connecting the head-unit with the amp. I'm not sure what the "gain" is but I did notice a couple of switches on the amp that earlier I turned up which caused the subs to get louder. As far as the head-unit, I tried tampering with the settings but couldn't find out how to resolve the issue. I guess i couldn't give it another shot tomorrow

zPipes

Established Member
your gain is your power lol, think of it basically as the volume level for the subs. i usually put mine around 75% of the way up.

First of all, I think you need to check your wiring setup. Some stereos, have different RCA outputs, are you sure you plugged them into the right output on the back of your stereo?

Also, settings on the radio make a big difference, not just bass and treble but there are usually boosts, frequency adjustments, etc. But this should not be your problem that your having.

Some buttons on the amp, you should see a low pass or high pass xover(crossover) if you have the high pass on, basically only really high notes will hit. Try this, look for the dial for xover, move it to the lowest, 40 or 20 HZ or whatever. Then turn the gain up to about 75%. Go in to the radio, put the bass on +2. Turn it up and you should hear bumping, if so it should be wired correctly now its a matter of settings.

Im wondering why your component(inside) speakers are hitting harder, it sounds like you wired the amp to the component speakers lol, do you have a 2 channel or 4 or 5 channel amp? Anyway you can post up pictures of some of this so I can see?

Oh also, there is sometimes a setting in the stereo that controls the rca outputs, basically turning them on/off. Mine says SUBWOOFER and the options are ON/OFF. When its off, it basically just cuts the rca output off so nothing goes to the sub from the stereo, but the amp and subs are still powered on.

Last edited:

crew_dawg16

Established Member
Your head unit's bass / treble settings will not adjust the subs since they are on a pre-out now, you should be turning the bass down to almost nothing so they components only have to handle high/mid ranges.

I would check your wiring on the subs and make sure they are wired to the correct impedance and if the amp is a 2 channel, make sure that it is bridged to get the power from both channels.

chvybeatsford

Established Member
Did u plug the rca into sub or rear.. If u only have one set on back of radio there may be a setting to change the rca out to sub.. I would thing u are on rear and that's why when u add bass in the normal setting it gets better..

Post ur model number..

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I777 using Tapatalk

32ValveRom

Don't mess with Teksids
Established Member
Sorry, I haven't had too much time to look into the stereo because of crazy work hours and an unexpected issue with my hid kit. this is the amp that I have. A few days ago I switched the rca cables around a little bit without a solution. Also, when I initially turned up the gain on the amp, that's when I notice more coming from the cockpit speakers as well as the subs making noise from nothing. I'm gonna continue tampering with it this weekend when I have time

zPipes

Established Member
your wiring is bad, take it to a shop and have them fix it before you do permanent damage to your subs, stereo, speakers or amp.

guilly55

Established Member
ReCheck your ground wire and fuses

Just a thought but recheck your fuse and ground wire from your amp to the chassis of the car. Make sure it is metal to metal and not metal on paint, sand the paint down to the metal, if that doesn't help bring it to a shop.

Users who are viewing this thread