Anybody modify their weed eaters or blowers?

SVT-BansheeMan

up the bayou
Established Member
Anybody here modify their weed eaters, leaf blowers or other gas powered lawn equipment?

I'm going to remove the baffle in my Stihl weedeater and blower this weekend. If they get clogged after a while, it will run like crap and wont rev. There's man YouTube videos on the subject.

I dont see an performance exhaust for them online. Id hate to hurt reliability.

zak88lx

Future SVT *****
Established Member
Nothing major:

-I rebuilt and re-jetted the carb on my 2-cycle Suzuki Duraforce Lawnboy mower engine. It now sounds like a bad-ass dirt bike, and has gobs of power.

-I removed the mulch kickers from the deck of my Toro Super Recycler mower, which greatly improved the bagging performance.

-I swapped out my Echo trimmer string spool head to a rapid loader head.

03cobra#694

Good Guy
Super Moderator
Nope, all Echo here and they run fine the way they are. I've seen some stuff like you mentioned to get more air speed out of the blowers though, but have read that it voids the warranty. Like of most of us care about that though, lol.

4a7191a

Established Member
Stihl stuff here. I run thier brand 2 cycle mix and Marvel's mystery oil along with 93octane fuel. 7 years on the blower & 5 years on the weedeater. I haven't changed the plugs yet. But modding them does sound tempting :)

Blown 89

Established Member
Modifying existing products is never worth it. The older I get the more I realize that it very rarely makes things better nor is it worth the time, effort, or money.

Gravik

Established Member
I want a lawn mower with a turbo.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

SVT_4_me

Established Member
i muffler modded my old poulan pro chainsaw, but it made it super loud. i have since bought a new echo chainsaw and i don't plan to mod this one. it runs great the way it is.

Black2010

Established Member
Weedeater motors - Yes, but only when sticking them into an RC boat. I now use purpose built motors for that purpose but their are products out there to do this. Just search the RC world.

The best mod to a 2 stroke engine (if you don't care about sound) is a tuned pipe. A properly set up tuned pipe will work almost like a VTEC engine. Some say it acts like a supercharger but I feel a VTEC is better as it's normal until a specified RPM range and then it takes off like a bat out of hell. But for those wanting to go crazy, they have moddifed heads with port work as well as stroker kits too.

fishpick

Established Member
I have a 2.9L Whipple "near" a Husqvarna Chain Saw and a VMP 93 Octane tune in a X4 on a shelf a few feet away from a Stihl weed eater...

SVT-BansheeMan

up the bayou
Established Member
After doing more researching and reaading all comments. I dont even think i will take out the spark arrestor/screen. Some require retuning and as stated, they are made to run for a long time exactly how they come. That's a far better scenario than altering it and having to spend $240 more to replace the whole thing.

The best mod to a 2 stroke engine (if you don't care about sound) is a tuned pipe. A properly set up tuned pipe will work almost like a VTEC engine.
Yeah i own a banshee. It's nice when they come on the pipe. Make up for the crap low end power. I was into nitro r/c over 15 years ago. They didnt have a power band like bikes do. It was a fun hobby though. Now electric dominates IMO.

Users who are viewing this thread