Anybody polish MAC Durablack pipes?

Bockfipher

Established Member
Has anybody polished the MAC pipes coated with Durablack? Is it worth the effort to sand this stuff off and try to get some kind of finish out of it?

I'd really like to be able to see my pipes from behind, but if it isn't worth it, I don't want to waste my time or encourage rusting (not that the Durablack does much in that department anyway).

96stanggt

Blower Whine Junkie
Established Member
You can still polish them and they will look much better, but you probably won't get the mirror finish you're looking for.

03snkvert

Established Member
I have cleaned mine up with some 1000 grit etc and kept them clean, you don't get a super shine like stainless, but they dont look bad.

Kinda hard to see, but you get the idea:

IMG_0390.jpg

IMG_0389.jpg

96stanggt

Blower Whine Junkie
Established Member
Those look good! Going the extra few steps with 1500 and 2000 grit along with some compound and a buffing wheel will make it shine even more.

03snkvert

Established Member
Yeah, I may do that in a couple weeks before I get the car out for the year.

Bockfipher

Established Member
Hot damn! That's exactly what I was looking for! Thanks!

I'm not as interested in giving them a mirror finish as I am with just being able to see them from behind, and compared to the black coating, that looks beautiful!

Did you leave a coat of wax on them? What kind of "extra" maintenance can I expect to endure?

96stanggt

Blower Whine Junkie
Established Member
Hot damn! That's exactly what I was looking for! Thanks!

I'm not as interested in giving them a mirror finish as I am with just being able to see them from behind, and compared to the black coating, that looks beautiful!

Did you leave a coat of wax on them? What kind of "extra" maintenance can I expect to endure?

A good metal polish like Mothers will protect the pipes and keep them looking good longer.

03snkvert

Established Member
Fortunately mine were never black, but I am sure with a little work you can get the black off of there.

I just use Mother's Alum Polish on it every couple of washes. When I wash the car (usually weekly) I just wipe the pipes down from behind the car and that is it. That is a Flowmaster Aluminized exhaust.

03snkvert

Established Member
Looks are deceiving. I make sure everytime I put a car on Jack stands that I make sure the car is stable before I do ANY work underneath.

Users who are viewing this thread