Anybody switch out the fuel filter on their 99/01?

32ValveRom

Don't mess with Teksids
Established Member
I've never done this before so the other day I thought I'd give it a shot. Got under the car, located the filter and tried to disconnect the filter with the little plastic removal clip that I have. The damn thing wouldn't disconnect for anything in the world. :cuss: A friend told me to take it to the Jiffy Lube but I could've sworn I saw someone here say it wasn't too hard to do. Any tips?:shrug:

3B99SVT

Top down makes me smile
Established Member
I'm not sure if anyone said it wasn't too hard to do. It's a frustrating task for me since I could only use one hand and either I could see it or feel it -- not both. Did you relieve the fuel pressure already? I've heard of people getting sprayed in the face if there's still pressure in the lines, but I would think that the pressure would make it more difficult to use the disconnect tool too. I recommend relieving the pressure at the schraeder valve on the fuel rail (get a screw driver in position, cover w/a rag, press). Is the disconnect tool sliding in enough? IIRC, pushing the line into the fuel filter slightly will make it easier to get the tool in. Then when the disconnect tool is in all the way, pull the line out of the filter. Oh, and all this has to be done w/one hand unless you have small enough hands to work both through the IRS. And always wear proper PPE!

99COBRA2881

Piss on Fox Sports1
Established Member
A well placed shot of penetrating oil up in the ends of the fuel filter connectors always helps and then I use a twisting motion which seems to also help get the fuel lines to release.

I fought the fuel filter on my '04 explorer for longer than I have ever on an IRS mustang.

Black*Death

Sleeping
Established Member
It suxs..plain and simple...difficult access combined with the fuel lines are difficult to pop

off. I you get the tool in there...try rocking the tool back and forth vs just straight

pulling to separate the filter from the lines...I need to do mine...dreading it..

286rocks

Established Member
Mine was original with 70K on the car so needless to say it was a bit stuck. I ended up dropping the tank about 10 inches and this gave me enough room to get 2 hands around the filter. It only took a few minutes to un-strap the tank and a couple more to swap everything around to the new filter.

Also I recommend picking up the metal scissor type disconnect tool, I've had much better luck with them.

Brutal Metal

Established Member
unless you've done it many times the first couple really suck especially if you have a flimsy cheap auto parts disconnector piece. It's surely easier with the car on a lift so you can access it standing up!

Black*Death

Sleeping
Established Member
unless you've done it many times the first couple really suck especially if you have a flimsy cheap auto parts disconnector piece. It's surely easier with the car on a lift so you can access it standing up!

+1..would imagine lift is nice... suxs leaning "up" off your back while the car is on Jack Stands...Wish I could put a lift in at my house..

Kirk01

Established Member

This x1000. I took one look at it while it was on ramps and decided I would rather pay somebody to get it for me. My mechanic put it on a lift and had it done quick. It's one of those things that are incredibly annoying.

32ValveRom

Don't mess with Teksids
Established Member

COBRA90GT

The Joe is rockin'
Established Member
Like someone else mentioned, use a metal fuel line disconnect tool if you can. It's much easier that way IMHO. Not too bad of a job unless you have oversized mitts.

Give it another try instead of forking over money to a shop, g'luck !

32ValveRom

Don't mess with Teksids
Established Member
Where in Fla are you? if your around Clearwater/Largo bring it by the shop next Monday!

Thanks but I'm all the way in Jax :beer:

Like someone else mentioned, use a metal fuel line disconnect tool if you can. It's much easier that way IMHO. Not too bad of a job unless you have oversized mitts.

Give it another try instead of forking over money to a shop, g'luck !

Yeah, I'm gonna try it on Saturday

Users who are viewing this thread